Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 AT manual and I was wondering has anyone had problems with the spokes. It looks like they are pitted or rusting. Any info would be helpful and is Honda standing behind this issue if its widespread. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Mine were replaced within 3 months - waiting for my second set now. I'm being told July for the stainless ones.
Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
Im waiting on mine been told August for the stainless but may be earlier as i have the black wheels and there is less of a back order on them....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Looks like mine are starting to go. I'll leave it as late as I can to report it before the warranty expires because I don't want 'old stock' parts fitted for the problem to return. I suspect that there will still be a supply of original rims in Australia as dealer spares and Honda won't fit the newer rims until they have exhausted the old crap.

Many years ago I had a BMW 1200 Cruiser which had the same problem excepting the bike had lots of bling so it wasn't just spokes. In fact I think the spokes were stainless but the rims were chromed - badly.

I had many parts changed over the time I owned the bike, even when the bike was officially out of warranty, but the replacements were old stock so the problem quickly returned. Final straw, a complete front wheel assembly was fitted. I rode the bike home and stored it under cover for the Winter with vaseline on the rims and other chrome parts for protection. Washed it off in the Spring and the chrome began peeling off again.

Anyone in Oz had replacements with stainless spokes yet?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I suspect that there will still be a supply of original rims in Australia as dealer spares and Honda won't fit the newer rims until they have exhausted the old crap.
I guess they will have to make new rims because stainless steel spokes are generally larger diameter, but other than that have you heard of a different surface treatment for the 'new' rims, as my gold ones have corroded badly?
Mike

·
Registered
190 Posts
I assume an expensive aftermarket solution would be 3rd party rims and spokes. That is expensive and best saved until warranty runs out but it likely a permanent, $2,000+ fix.

I am just now riding my AT on a regular basis but a back injury 8 days ago cancelled my trip to California. While I don't WANT my spokes to corrode, if they are going to do so I just assume have it happen sooner than later so I can get it taken care of.

NC

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hello,
I’m in Southern California
Confirmed with dealer today, will call me when parts arrive
If parts come in from the west coast warehouse - this Thursday, If not next Thursday
I will keep you posted

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hello,
If parts come in from the west coast warehouse - this Thursday, If not next Thursday
I will keep you posted
Not sure whether you have read all the other threads on this problem, but unless California is ahead of the rest of the world, they will be fitting plated spokes for you rather than the new stainless which (in the UK) we are told will not be available until July. The supposedly double plated plain steel ones corrode just as quickly as the originals.
Mike

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hello,
I will keep you posted
Not sure whether you have read all the other threads on this problem, but unless California is ahead of the rest of the world, they will be fitting plated spokes for you rather than the new stainless which (in the UK) we are told will not be available until July. The supposedly double plated plain steel ones corrode just as quickly as the originals.
Mike
Morning,

Yes, I have read all the posts
But if they do replace it with ones that corrode again, they will have to replace it again
Honda’s time and money, the more we make them pay, maybe the faster they come out with a permanent fix/ solution
The 1st time, I complained.... almost 2yrs ago
Honda didn’t even blink, but now they want to try and fix.... progress?
Have a great day
Mike

·
Registered
154 Posts
My last BMW had a corrosion issue, took it to the main dealer where it was the 4th bike I'd bought from them, took details and pics and said they'd let me know what BMW said....couple of days later BMW had agreed...as though I should doff my cap and thank them...for using crap paint processes that cause corrosion.
Swapped that GSA for this AT and find the spokes rusting. Called over at NW Honda in Lancaster this morning (not where I bought the bike, but where I had the first service done) Their attitude couldn't have been more different than BMW. Pics taken and then put me on the list for replacements with stainless spokes, (no mention of plated spokes) which should be here late June or July.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sorry to hear this but customer service ain't what it used to be.

NC

My last BMW had a corrosion issue, took it to the main dealer where it was the 4th bike I'd bought from them, took details and pics and said they'd let me know what BMW said....couple of days later BMW had agreed...as though I should doff my cap and thank them...for using crap paint processes that cause corrosion.
Swapped that GSA for this AT and find the spokes rusting. Called over at NW Honda in Lancaster this morning (not where I bought the bike, but where I had the first service done) Their attitude couldn't have been more different than BMW. Pics taken and then put me on the list for replacements with stainless spokes, (no mention of plated spokes) which should be here late June or July.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am on my second set of rims and 3rd set of spokes all replaced under Honda warranty. (Note, bike is a 2017 DCT 10 months old, garage kept with only 2500 miles on it). Without exaggeration, the latest spokes they installed (which are the same the bike came with) were corroded the day I got the bike back from them. I have called Honda customer service many times, and they told me that "this is the best they can do". I have filed a "Lemon Law" claim within our state against them, and as of now, Honda has not responded within the required time frame. My next step will be to file request for arbitration, under the motor vehicle act. I hope you have a better outcome than I...

·
Registered
14 Posts
My AT is from 2017 and before I bought I knew about this spoke issue. So one of the first things I did was to buy those cheap plastic spoke covers. I greased each spoke and attached covers on all spokes (took some time).

Now after one year the spokes still looks like new. I live near the ocean and in a very humid country too.

I had a Honda CRF 250L a couple of years ago. After just a few months driving it (without spoke covers) the spokes looked like they were 20 years old..

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts