Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else noticing their chain rusting? I ride my bike year round and the chain has developed a lot of surface rust on the link plates.

I haven't had this issue with other bikes that I have treated the same way.

Please spare me all the "proper chain maintenance" tips- I look after my chain. That is why I'm putting this out there- maybe I got one of a bad batch or something.

That being said; anyone replace their chain? If so, with what and how do you like it?

Cheers,
VicAT

·
Registered
40 Posts
Same here.
Used Motul cleaner and oil but over the winter in dry storage it did look worse for wear.
As you mentioned, never had any issues before with other bikes.

·
Registered
212 Posts
quote- "Please spare me all the "proper chain maintenance" tips-"

If that is your criterion for response, I doubt that you will get much?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mine did the same, rusty as an old nail, very dissapointed, perhaps made to the same spec as the spokes ?.
The second set button on left bar is sticking on mine now, what a shame, great bike , Adventure ready as long as you don’t get it wet !

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just trying to save people some time fuelpincher. No need to rehash the obvious.

·
Registered
400 Posts
aren't the spokes and the chain from the same manufacturer?? DID
Mine is piss poor too, gonna replace mine with a Renthal sprocket and Regina or other brand later on, after my spokes of course.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Is it just surface rust that will come off with new lube and a rub of a rag or completely rusted into the links?
I've had other bikes in salty climates (San Francisco) that normally never had rust on the chain show rust in just a few days. Though it was easy enough to clean and wipe it off on the next 500 kilometre application of lube.

Haven't replaced mine (still only 20,000 kilometres on it) but I've had good luck on multiple bikes with DID X-ring chains and sprockets from Sprocket Centre in the USA.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Yup. Hose down (not wash) the bike after a muddy ride and next day the side plates are rusty. It's the chain and also my choice of lube - Motol off-road. I find Wax lubes just collect tons of grit and crap which make it near impossible to clean the chain.

Now I hit the chain with a grunge brush after the hose down then take the bike for a quick ride to warm up the chain and blow off the water. Motul off-road lube before I park the bike. No more rust!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I have found this chain excellent in that it has got to 16.5k miles without any sticking links, but I too am surprised that after a careful clean with paraffin using the Kettenmax device, and then relubing with a grease ninja, the next day will often show light rust patches on the surfaces of the link plates.
Kev - My understanding of ACF50 is that it forms a microscopically thin layer and it 'creeps' so even of you don't get full coverage it may end up that way. I think I might try it on my cleaned and dried chain BEFORE applying the lube, then hopefully those rust patches won't appear in any spots where the lube has missed.
Mike

·
Registered
230 Posts
Any did chain I've ever used gets rusty after a wash. I would consider it normal. The only ones that don't are the anodized colored ones but they end up looking like crap long before they wear out anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts