Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
1,913 Posts
or BMW R1250GS :)

seriously though Honda and Yamaha stopped to be issues free long time ago.

Maybe Triumph Tiger now?
I have had my issues with Tigers 800/Explorer 1200. But no experience with the 900

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Alan,
lucky for you that it is solved. I see that this forum is the one of the most active for our bikes and it is still growing. You will find here a lot of info and a lot of people who are a helping you with tip an tricks. Your dealer should be more proactive and als read this kind of forums then he is really busy with his job and and passion. Unfortunately in today’s world it is very difficult to run a business with all regulations and try to find a good mechanic.A lot of younger people are afraid to get dirty hands. The internet is useful but it created also a lot of people who are not using the brains anymore.

Enjoy your bike and the rides. Keep safe

·
Registered
378 Posts
Maybe this is the year to buy a brand that is traditionally unreliable. Time for a Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel? :)
Choose another brand/model... I follow a few V85's forum and they have very few/small complains about the bike... and they're selling a lot of them. ;)

·
Administrator
1,913 Posts
Choose another brand/model... I follow a few V85's forum and they have very few/small complains about the bike... and they're selling a lot of them. ;)
Or perhaps I got it right with the suggestion of the V85? I love Motoguzzi, but I don't think anyone would claim that they are bastions of reliability :)

Edit: and they have had a couple of recalls on the V85 for oil leaks and footpegs breaking off :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Or perhaps I got it right with the suggestion of the V85? I love Motoguzzi, but I don't think anyone would claim that they are bastions of reliability :)
Edit: and they have had a couple of recalls on the V85 for oil leaks and footpegs breaking off :)
Footpegs breaking off reminds me something about a certain AT version ;-)
And yes: tradition are hard to break, but it happens sometime.

·
Administrator
1,913 Posts
Footpegs breaking off reminds me something about a certain AT version ;-)
And yes: tradition are hard to break, but it happens sometime.
That isn't a problem I am familiar with for the AT. Was that one of the older 650 versions? I believe Enfield had that issue with the Himilayan as well.

·
Administrator
1,913 Posts
It's a problem that had the 2016-17 version: footpeg support too weak.
I had forgotten about that. For some reason, they chose to make the right side from cast aluminum instead of cast iron like the left. If you hit a rock or something it could snap it. Camel ADV came out with a brace to beef that up.

That is definitely a flaw, though not to the magnitude of the V85. I believe the issue only affected bike sold in the US market, but there was an issue with the assembly process causing the retaining clip to fail. When the bike was running, it could cause the retaining clip to slip off due to vibrations and the footrest could detach from the bike.

Pointing out the obvious, the notice said " A footrest which falls off while the motorcycle is being used by a rider may become a road hazard, and also increase the risk of a crash." :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
supposed it to be solid adventure bike and it took them 4 years to eliminate some obvious, silly flaws and they introduced new flaws for 2020 with higher proce tag - honda is it still you? LOL

·
Registered
378 Posts
That is definitely a flaw, though not to the magnitude of the V85. I believe the issue only affected bike sold in the US market, but there was an issue with the assembly process causing the retaining clip to fail. When the bike was running, it could cause the retaining clip to slip off due to vibrations and the footrest could detach from the bike.
In fact it's the first time I hear about that, probably because I only read italian V85's forums.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts