Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the AT is my first adventure bike, I am always aware of its comparatively high CG. One case where I am notably uncertain is suitable slopes for parking using the kickstand. If there is > 2.5" between the kickstand foot and the ground when I am prepared to park, I feel like putting the bike on the stand and dismounting may be enough to put the CG over the left side of the kickstand, tipping the bike. I'm sure I'm being excessively timid here, but can anyone offer guidance on what slope angle they are comfortable parking on?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I try to find a spot in the parking lot that is uphill/downhill instead of sidehill. Otherwise I just turn the bike sideways in the parking space till it's sitting uphill/downhill. It's easy to find the limits of how far you can tilt on the sidestand especially loaded up full travel mode. There was one occasion where I parked at a little place for a bite to eat this summer and the bike was barely balanced in almost a vertical position because of the angle but I was so hungry I risked it and went inside. Of course I sat down to my meal and some guy got out of his car next to my bike and walked around it in circles for 15 minutes talking on his cell phone. I was sure he was going to knock it over and just waiting for the idiot to bump into it, but he didn't! Anyway after that I take the extra effort to make sure I'm not parked on a side angle.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was one occasion where I parked at a little place for a bite to eat this summer and the bike was barely balanced in almost a vertical position because of the angle but I was so hungry I risked it and went inside. Of course I sat down to my meal and some guy got out of his car next to my bike and walked around it in circles for 15 minutes talking on his cell phone. I was sure he was going to knock it over and just waiting for the idiot to bump into it, but he didn't!
I've had that experience at a breakfast place as well, also with the bike too upright (risking a fall to the right). :laugh: I'm particularly curious though how far you can lean to the left without risking going over the side stand.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Plenty threads on this, including mine when my AT fell on top of me - it was safely parked on an asphalt car park with a moderate wind blowing. One member is persuing Honda for damages caused by his AT tipping over.

The lean angle of my bike on a level surface is 8 degrees, on my Triumph Explorer it is 12. Makes all the difference.

Be very careful how you park it ! The AT is a very tall bike.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On roads I pull in and park with front facing out -parking lots just find a level space
So I guess that would that rule out, for example, parking between cars on a steeper (up)hill.

I've found that I worried about the angle even on a relatively moderate side slope.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts