Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 AT DCT with 11 000km on the clock. After I dropped the bike on a trail ride the bike does not want to go into 1st gear and when it does it is a flashing 1st gear not going into 2nd. Almost like limp mode. This happens when the bike is warm, but when I let the bike cool down for 20min all is fine - all gears available again. I took the bike in to the Honda dealer. On-route on the freeway doing 130km/hr the bike kicked out of gear into N. I stopped and had the same problem with flashing 1st gear. The local Honda dealer ran all the diagnostics, reset the fault including clutch reset, oil and filter change as well as oil sensor. The dealer tested the bike in town and on the freeway for 80km over a couple of days with no problem. As I was about to pick up the bike the dealer went for ride on the free way at speed to make sure the problem was solved and the bike kicked out of gear again and flashing 1st gear again. Now the dealer cannot release the bike because of the safety hazard. Has anyone experienced similar fault?

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,985 Posts
Sorry no....
But it sounds, actually, more like a electrical issue. Maybe in the paddles or N-D selection. Here’s my thoughts on why; IF it only was a issue with it getting hot (like something/sensor/switch with the oil) it would most likely do it every time. But I’m thinking electrical because it sounds more hit-or-miss and it could be more related to vibrations after running for a bit, these bikes get up to temp pretty quick. I’m personally leaning toward the D-N switch simply because of what it’s “doing” putting you in neutral (mainly) . But if it is an electrical short who nows what kind of false signals it could be sending to the ECU. Also I would add that a gremlin in the electrical or especially with a switch wouldn’t necessarily show up as a fault, after all a switch basically “shorts out” two wires when you “turn it on”..... just my thoughts, I hope they find it soon and get you back on the road...

·
Registered
492 Posts
This is out there, but I saw a guy on YouTube who dropped onto a rock on the right side and unluckily crushed the black plastic cover on the crankcase at the front. Cut a wire or two behind it and it would not shift out of first. He did get lucky to get a smart dealer who found it right away (after riding 60 miles in first).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Why do you say almost like limp mode? I mean - that sounds like limp mode to me. What was the fault that they reset, and how did they reset it? Did they disconnect and reattach the battery? I'm just guessing here - but it sounds like it's oil pressure sensor (or oil level, coolant level sensor...) got slightly damaged and it's causing a circuit break once warmed up. I think the sensor that tripped the fault is where I would start.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts