Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any users who have replaced the stock standard (not low) Honda seat with the Sargent option. Looking for comments/comparisons and other comments, ie did you change both parts or only the front, did you get heated version and how effective is it?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I’ve one, very pleased with the improvement in comfort/distance over the oe seat. I got blue piping added so that there’s at least a small continuity between front and rear. I didn’t go for heat, I don’t think it’s that important for my needs or useage. The Sargent is also roomier, so butt shuffling is well catered for. Each to their own, but this is my second Sargent seat (first one on my 12GS) and why I was happy to invest in another Sargent.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
I got my Sargent seat on September and rode about 2000 km's before winter. I had also Sargent on my ex. R 1200 GS, with heating. This one is without heating. The heating is wery effective. When temperature was under +5*C I used to keep it at 2 or 3 (max 10).

The quality, finnish, shape and foam stiffnes are about the same as they were on the Sargent of my former F 1200 GS, also just perfect fit to my butt. The foam of Sargent is remarkably stiffer than Honda OEM stadard height seat. For me, that helps a lot. Since Honda seat is too soft, after about two hours riding the ischios will sink into foam resulting the soft tissue between them carrying too much of my weight, not comfortable... The foam of Sargent is stiffer and much higher quality so it will maintain its stiffnes the same also during long rides. The result of that is that ischios bones will take the most of my weight resulting no pain to crotch. The Sargent does the same on Honda Africa Twin just like it did on R 1200 GS. If you are suffering pain on crotch during long rides, my advise is rather look for stiffer saddle, not softer saddle/Airhawk/gel...

The height of Sargent standard seat is about the same than Honda standard seat, but since the Sargent is a bit wider, and the top side edges a bit sharper, it may be little bit more difficult to reach ground if you have short legs. If you have short legs and like to ride the seat in high position, the edges (that aren't as round as Honda seat edges) may cause a bit pressure to the inside of your tigths. The Sargent has a bit wider and longer even surface than Honda seat, so you have more freedom for changing position. The surface does hardly not lean forward, so it's very easy to stay sitting in chosen position. The standard CarbonFX -farbric is little bit more slippery than Hondas fabric, but not bad. And since the seat does not lean forward, I didn't felt it neccessary to order the Performance Plus -seat, the fabric of which may have more friction.

On R 1200 GS the front low edges of the Sargent seat caused pressure to the inside my legs when driwing standing on pegs. That's not a problem on Honda, the Sargent seats just fits as good as OEM seat, causing no pressure poins riding either sitting or standing.

·
Registered
361 Posts
@-mek- did a good job of summarizing my experience with the Sargent as well. The soft foam in the stock seat left me in significant discomfort in the, ah, perineal area after as little as 20 minutes in the saddle. The firm foam of the Sargent coupled with its central relief channel has made that experience a thing of that past.

I did feel like the sharp top edges or chines of the Sargent dug into my thighs uncomfortably when I first got it. I almost returned it, but am glad I did not because the edges softened considerably after only a few rides. @-mek-'s other comments about the shape of the seat are spot-on.

I did go with the heated option, which is fantastic in the cooler weather here in northern CA. I cut off the stock controller and run the heating via a Neutrino Aurora's PWM setting.

Finally, I had the seat made without piping and a custom color combo to best match the blue/black material of the factory OEM seat on the tricolor bike.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for your responses. I'll probably proceed with the front only portion, as I rarely/never carry a passenger. Likely to go for the heated as well, so thanks for the comments on it as well.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I’ve one, very pleased with the improvement in comfort/distance over the oe seat. I got blue piping added so that there’s at least a small continuity between front and rear. I didn’t go for heat, I don’t think it’s that important for my needs or useage. The Sargent is also roomier, so butt shuffling is well catered for. Each to their own, but this is my second Sargent seat (first one on my 12GS) and why I was happy to invest in another Sargent.
where did you purchase it from

1 - 9 of 9 Posts