Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
New here and wanted to ask what’s the best sat nav mount for the ATAS ?
Do people simply use the power outlet on the dash and is that waterproof?
Any recommendations on the best connector and mount would be great
I have a Garmin Zumo 390
Cheers ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
The SW Motech mount fits well to the cross bar on the windscreen. I believe there is a connector up front, but lots of fairing removal to do to get at it. The dealer hooked mine up when I bought the bike.

·
Registered
42 Posts
+ one for SW Motech mount, works really well. There is a feed you can use in the fairing, as said it's really not easy to get to. Also worth considering a brace kit for the screen as the sat nav mount does add weight above the maker's intended load.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I dunno about a dedicated mount for a specific device but I got a RAM mount on the cross bar on the windscreen.
The bar is too thin for the standard claw mount so I did my own mod with a piece if black plastic tubing split and then padded between it and the cross bar with bicycle tube rubber.
Works very well and the rubber soaks up vibration well.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gcaPRjtafQW3iHE97

·
Registered
31 Posts
i bought the rugged roads mount which is fantastic and wired in behind the clocks although a bit of work to get to a couple of hours should do it and you have the other power socket free

·
Registered
104 Posts
I used a Ram mount on the cross bar.
I wired the sat Nav into the accessory wiring loom behind the socket.
If you search my posts under the heading. Switched live wire.
So far so good. I've done 4,200 miles without issue with the mount or the wiring.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Also used the swmotech mount and added Vlad's screen brace and the bratzen adjustable screen. It is perfect position and also allows you to mount a large tank bag without having any restricted view of the instrumentation

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've gone with the RAM Mount on to the Camel brace ('17 AT, but the same idea would work with the ATAS).
I'm using a RAM ball (with clamp for smaller diameter tubes), a short arm and an X-Grip - holding my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, which works pretty well as a satnav with enough brightness to be seen in sunlight and it is weather proof.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Has anyone fitted a satnav mounting bar to the 1100 Africa Twin as I’m looking at fitting my TomTom to my 2020 AT via possibly a screen mounting bar but struggling to find the correct items.
Also struggling to find the correct TomTom connecting cable for either the auxiliary power socket or the USB cockpit power point.
This is all totally new to me and being a complete “technophobe“ doesn’t help any. ☹

·
Registered
597 Posts
Has anyone fitted a satnav mounting bar to the 1100 Africa Twin as I’m looking at fitting my TomTom to my 2020 AT via possibly a screen mounting bar but struggling to find the correct items.
Also struggling to find the correct TomTom connecting cable for either the auxiliary power socket or the USB cockpit power point.
This is all totally new to me and being a complete “technophobe“ doesn’t help any. ☹
I used this for my 2019 ATAS and 2011 V-Strom. Instead of the handlebar I used the left mirror stalk. It is padded and water resistant and comes with a water proof cover for riding in the rain. For power I ran a USB charging cable from the Garmin to the 12V plug on the dash. The link will give you a good view of the mount on the back. It has a quick release if you want to remove the GPS for security. It is also available in multiple sizes to fit various GPS units or cell phones.

Givi S954B Universal 5.0" GPS and Smartphone Holder | FortNine Canada

·
Registered
58 Posts
I used this for my 2019 ATAS and 2011 V-Strom. Instead of the handlebar I used the left mirror stalk. It is padded and water resistant and comes with a water proof cover for riding in the rain. For power I ran a USB charging cable from the Garmin to the 12V plug on the dash. The link will give you a good view of the mount on the back. It has a quick release if you want to remove the GPS for security. It is also available in multiple sizes to fit various GPS units or cell phones.

Givi S954B Universal 5.0" GPS and Smartphone Holder | FortNine Canada
Cheers Bill, it’s certainly an option but my favoured position would be mounte the unit above the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I dunno about a dedicated mount for a specific device but I got a RAM mount on the cross bar on the windscreen.
The bar is too thin for the standard claw mount so I did my own mod with a piece if black plastic tubing split and then padded between it and the cross bar with bicycle tube rubber.
Works very well and the rubber soaks up vibration well.

AT3
Thanks for sharing! Great pic’s.

·
Registered
58 Posts
How about you guys out there posting up pics of your satnav set ups. Just an idea and might just be helpful for some. 👍

·
Registered
597 Posts
How about you guys out there posting up pics of your satnav set ups. Just an idea and might just be helpful for some. 👍
This is on my 2019 ATAS. I didn't want anything above or partially blocking the instrument screen. Although I have the original charging cable for the GPS I prefer the dual port USB adaptor plugged into the power point and use a USB charging cable. Visually it is a cleaner setup and less bulky than the original cable. I sometimes use the original power cord if using the GPS in another vehicle. The GPS holder has a quick release to detach the GPS holder from the mount. There is also a lanyard from the holder to the bar should you activate the quick release by accident.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Frederik, if you ever fancy producing another one of these attachments I would definitely be interested in purchasing one from you. 👍👍

1 - 20 of 20 Posts