Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Bikers ,

is there a satnav mount on the market to install my tomtom rider on
the top litlle bar behind the screen of the AT ?:wink2:
Does anyone know if the TALL windshield from Honda has that cross bar? I have tried to google for pictures of it but can only seem to find pictures of the standard windshield.

That crossbar would seem the prefect place to mount a TOMTOM 400. I already am planning to put a GoPro Hero 3 in the center of the handlebars for motovlogging. And to put a snap in mount for my Samsung S7 on the left side of the bars. Those to along with the Sena Handlebar remote of the left grip seems a bit too many thing on the handlebars. So I would like to mount the GPS above the display.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The bar is part of the frame that holds the instrument cluster and screen.
So no mater what screen you have, the bar is still there.

·
Registered
97 Posts
im looking to mount the BMW Nav V in the Garmin motorcycle mount, i tryed different positions with the Ram mounts tonight, none of them seem to get the GPS in that nice position above and over the dash, this looks like the go!! nice work.
I have a mate with CNC cutting and all the gear, will have to pay him a visit, unless a come across a fancy pipe bracket that already suits.

Cheers
Kiwimat
I think the BMW nav comes of towards you? Not like the tomtom rider that had to slide upwards off the holder.
So you're probably able to mount it even closer to the screen, which will look very slick.

If you're mate is a bit reasonable he might be able to turn a mount out of some scrap material for less than the price of some off-the-shelve universal product ;) .

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think the BMW nav comes of towards you? Not like the tomtom rider that had to slide upwards off the holder.
So you're probably able to mount it even closer to the screen, which will look very slick.

If you're mate is a bit reasonable he might be able to turn a mount out of some scrap material for less than the price of some off-the-shelve universal product ;) .
Yeah the Nav comes off towards you, so i should be able to get it right above the dash and almost flush.
Small block of Aluminum or nice solid plastic drilled and shaped properly might be the go.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've got a Garmin 660 mounted in a TouraTech Enduro holder attached to the windscreen bar, had no issues so far, not been off road with it though, maybe a bit of bouncing will show up a deficiency ?

M

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey guys, i managed to get my BMW Nav V mounted on the Honda Africa.
Initially i did make up a mount, then while getting some fairing screws from BMW, i asked out of curiosity how much the small black square plastic mount is, as a kit with the crossbar its expensive, but they actually do sell it on its own, and it was.... wait for it.....$5.35.
I used all nylon nuts on this, took the screen off to make it easy to mount, i put i small adhesive piece of door seal felt under the nav mount to stop it marking the top of the dash, to soak up some vibes and protect the dash.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I did a search for mounting GPS on africa twin and after seeing and reading about a lot of broken windscreen welds I have decided to move mine to the handle bars somewhere. Bummer because I really liked the look of being on the cross bar.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Has anyone tried to flip the lower handlebar holders so, that the handlebar moves about 1" front?

I'm 6'2" with very long arms. It quess flipping the cöamps would improve standing position, about sitting I'm not sure.

On OEM position the Rugged roads GPS holdet hits my SW Motech Yukon 90 tankbag when handlebar is turned tight.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Initially i did make up a mount, then while getting some fairing screws from BMW, i asked out of curiosity how much the small black square plastic mount is, as a kit with the crossbar its expensive, but they actually do sell it on its own, and it was.... wait for it.....$5.35.
I used all nylon nuts on this, took the screen off to make it easy to mount, i put i small adhesive piece of door seal felt under the nav mount to stop it marking the top of the dash, to soak up some vibes and protect the dash.
very interested in this. What do you actually ask the parts man for. Is it a Nav V mount for the GSA crossbar?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Problem and solution:

Is I wrote, my Garmin Zumo 390 with the Touratech GPS-holder and Rugged Roads handlebar mount was not compatible with the SW-Motech Yukon 90 tankbag. I like quick-lock tankbags because the ease of refuel. I've installed the tankbag as far rear as it goes, but still the front of the bag was hitting on Zumo. I tried making about 50 mm longer triangles to RR mount, which moved the Zumo about 20 mm up, 30 front. It helped with the Zumo but not with the RR mount bolts. Bolts were still hitting on tankbag at tight turns.

I didn't like to mount the Zumo over the instruments with the TT or RR mount. I had the Zumo over the instruments on my previous GS, with the TT crossbar. It vibrated hard on rough roads. Hence, the screen mount broke on both bikes of Threesome with twins guys's ATs, maybe partly pecause they had their GPS over the instruments.

So, my Zumo must be on handlebars, so that it or the mount won't hit on tankbag and the holder must be fastened so well that removing Zumo from lockable holder is not neccessary on every gas station.

After few nights of thinking I figured out the solution. I bought a pair of cheapest aluminium bar risers from the local hardware store, and L-shape aluminium bar. I cut two 130 mm pieces of the L-bar and fastened them with the bar risers (the spurs filed away) between the bar holders. Voilá.

Solution is not perfect, the ignition key is left a bit narrow behind the mount. The lover third of the Zumo is left behind the tankbag and the lowest edge of instruments is left in the shade of the Zumo. But it meets the two most critical requirements, the mount is steady and does not vibrate on rough roads and it still won't hit on tankbag.

In my mind if you have any quick lock tankbag in any brand. Be aware of buying the GPS mount for handlebar mount from Rugged Roads, Touratech, SW-Motech etc. With them the GPS will most propably hit on tankbak in tight corners.

·
Registered
148 Posts
And, the handlebar holder coudn't be turned around. Moving handlebars forward by turning the holders would not harm my drivirng position, since I'm 6'2" with long arms, but then both handguards and mirrors would have been hitting the screen.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I have fitted a BMW GPS Mounting BMW R1100, 1150GS & Adv. This unit fits the new Africa Twin brilliantly and is much more secure than the RAM mounts. I found that the RAM mount suffered from too much vibration when off the main roads.

https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig....Adventure/Alu-High-grade-Steel/GPS-Mount.html
This mount is (I think) exactly what I need to mount my Zumo 220 behind th very cut down screen I am using. Does anyone know whether all I need is just the 44004 item with no need for any adaptor?
Thanks
Mike
here's a pic of why I need a minimalist mount:

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Does this BMW satnav have the same mounting holes for the bracket as the Garmin Zumo (in oarticular the 220)?
Mike

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Fab'ed my own out of 1/16th 6061 aluminum.
You may have seen from my other post tonight that I am a dab hand with a chisel a saw and a plastic screen but fabricating stuff from aluminium is beyond me so if anyone can point me where to actually buy a tiny mount for my Zumo220 to go on the horizontal bar, I would be very grateful
Mike

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I have fitted a BMW GPS Mounting BMW R1100, 1150GS & Adv. This unit fits the new Africa Twin brilliantly and is much more secure than the RAM mounts. I found that the RAM mount suffered from too much vibration when off the main roads.

https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig....Adventure/Alu-High-grade-Steel/GPS-Mount.html
I contacted Andreas who makes these components and whilst the hole spacing for the GPS is correct he says the diameter of the bar that his mount fits on should be 12mm. I have measured it on the Africa Twin and it's 13mm. To my non-engineer brain, that doesn't sound like it would clamp on with a proper fit all round the bar. Anyone else have experience of this fitting or not?
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
1,345 Posts

Can I bump this question again? I'd like to go into my local BMW motorrad store and talk sensibly about which part I'd like them to order. I have tried searching for the Navigator V mounting kit on line but in the UK it's not coming up with anything that looks like what Kimimat has found
Mike

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have used the ram mount that has been recommended elsewhere on this forum. I have had to add anti slip rubber to enable it to grip tightly but have found that the sat nav does vibrate slightly being mounted on this bar. I am now thinking about getting a ram mount that relates one of the handlebar fixing bolts.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I'm trying to avoid the RAM mounts PJ, as I have a few of those already but they mean you have to use the ball and connector thing which takes the satnav unit too high and too forward for my newly cut-down screen. It only needs one axis of rotation and that's provided by the 13mm bar. So I would really like to get hold of some of these 13mm clamps to which the Zumo cradle will bolt directly.
Mike

41 - 60 of 78 Posts