Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
What's up with the double dash? Are they expecting the TFT to fail and therefore offer the other one as redundancy?

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's probably it. But couldn't they have adapted the navigation screen to include speed and gear? This way it looks like an afterthought.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm not all that excited.. far too soon for me to make any kind of a judgement. lets see how the early adopters get on.. and then what end of year discounts are offered November 2020.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's probably it. But couldn't they have adapted the navigation screen to include speed and gear? This way it looks like an afterthought.
It's because the TFT is compatible with Apple Car Play, so in that case they have to reserve the full TFT for the Apple device. They needed another display to show basic info about the bike.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not all that excited.. far too soon for me to make any kind of a judgement. lets see how the early adopters get on.. and then what end of year discounts are offered November 2020.
The list price for the Adv version is high (€19-20k in Italy). True, is a complete package, but pretty expensive. Good news is that, with such an high price on new model, used bikes could be well evaluated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does it not?

As Deltabi correctly pointed out, when you're navigating it seams that speed and gear info is removed from the TFT. Hence the need for the other screen below.

Attachments

·
Registered
814 Posts
Lots of really cool and useful new features. I'm not sure they are looking for AT customers who already have the bike but the BMW GS crowd. It's getting really close in so many technical aspects of the bike and is still loads cheaper than a BMW. Looks like a really awesome bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
AT 2020 Prices

The list price for the Adv version is high (€19-20k in Italy). True, is a complete package, but pretty expensive. Good news is that, with such an high price on new model, used bikes could be well evaluated.
May I ask where did you get those prices?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you Deltabi
The official website of Honda Portugal is not yet priced for Africa Twin 2020. On the Italian site, for the "Adventure Sports" option with DCT, I only see the option with electronic suspension. Does this mean that ATAS DCT without electronic suspension will not be available (at least in Italy) ...?

·
Registered
187 Posts
The Honda website states the standard bike still hast the same 5.0 gallon fuel tank? I won't upgrade for any of the other features and the black with red frame looks bad. The new TFT looks cool like they all do but that is a gimmick I'll get used to in short order. A bit more torque is fine but the current bike is just fine for me. Now my old F800GS was doggy but the AT with the 998CC engine doesn't hurt for performance. It is an ADV bike not a sport tourer but others will always want more oomph.

If I were in the market I'd buy a NOS 2018 model ands save big bucks. While that bike does not have the TFT, the instrument cluster is at least a unique looking array and when you have more than one bike, it is nice to have something that is different looking.

Nice job Honda. I think you'll win over some BMW riders but us current owners won't need to upgrade.

Now if the standard bike had the 6 gallon tank . . .

NC

·
Registered
79 Posts
Is this a pattern across the market? To get through euro 5 regs the engine needs to be bigger to compensate for all the new emission control gubbins? (i.e. BMW to 1250, Triumph twins to 1200, Ducati etc...??) or is this simply marketing? Very happy with my '18 ATAS and will stick out the full 3 years at least. Bought it to get away from full electronic arrays! Word from my local dealer is that the lovely exhaust note on the '18/'19 may be a thing of the past.... Final point: never buy the mark 1!! Anywayhow, if it gets a few more people bought into the Africa Twin - cannot be bad!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
As Deltabi correctly pointed out, when you're navigating it seams that speed and gear info is removed from the TFT. Hence the need for the other screen below.
That is showing CarPlay with the Apple Maps app running. There are other mapping apps that work with CarPlay, such as Google Maps. It wouldn’t surprise me if one of them showed your speed. Gear selection is another matter, though.

EDIT: Apparently Waze shows current speed in their CarPlay UI.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts