Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum, from central IL, bought a new 2019 AT in Russellville AK last Friday, on the way home from an AZ vacation. Had been researching ADV bikes, deciding on this one, after seeing my favorite options (BMW GS, Super Tenere, and AT) at a dealer in Phoenix. One the way back to IL, I found just a black AT at a great price in AK, via eBay, stopped in, and purchased, leaving the bike at the dealers, as I was traveling alone. Plan to get back there and pick it up when things calm down.

I am 66, and might well be 67 by the time I pick the bike up when this forced hibernation is over! I was an amateur dirt rider in my teens and 20's/30's, and owned three Honda bikes in my teens/20s. A 150 (might have been 125) scrambler , a 350 Scrambler, and a 350 Motosport (my favorite)!

I was a business owner (lumber company) who just retired this year. I hadn't had a vacation in 10 years, to I took a van trip west to see my sis. As a part of my overdue vacation, my retirement, and my May birthday, I gladly bought what will likely be my last cycle. I'm thrilled to have this one, and hope to be able to ride it for a few good years. I took a mountain road trip in Russellville (Ozark National Park, Rt 7) before I left for home, and truly love the way this bike handles and runs. Nothing too scary for an old guy, but plenty of pleasant enthusiasm, and very comfy.

·
Super Moderator
1,545 Posts
I am new to this forum, from central IL, bought a new 2019 AT in Russellville AK last Friday, on the way home from an AZ vacation. Had been researching ADV bikes, deciding on this one, after seeing my favorite options (BMW GS, Super Tenere, and AT) at a dealer in Phoenix. One the way back to IL, I found just a black AT at a great price in AK, via eBay, stopped in, and purchased, leaving the bike at the dealers, as I was traveling alone. Plan to get back there and pick it up when things calm down.

I am 66, and might well be 67 by the time I pick the bike up when this forced hibernation is over! I was an amateur dirt rider in my teens and 20's/30's, and owned three Honda bikes in my teens/20s. A 150 (might have been 125) scrambler , a 350 Scrambler, and a 350 Motosport (my favorite)!

I was a business owner (lumber company) who just retired this year. I hadn't had a vacation in 10 years, to I took a van trip west to see my sis. As a part of my overdue vacation, my retirement, and my May birthday, I gladly bought what will likely be my last cycle. I'm thrilled to have this one, and hope to be able to ride it for a few good years. I took a mountain road trip in Russellville (Ozark National Park, Rt 7) before I left for home, and truly love the way this bike handles and runs. Nothing too scary for an old guy, but plenty of pleasant enthusiasm, and very comfy.
Hi and welcome, don’t forget to post the “new baby” pictures when you get it home...

·
Super Moderator
1,545 Posts
That’s funny stuff. I’ve had some detours, but nothing like that.
Central IL. Is not that far from AK
Especially taking the Southern route.
I’ve thought about doing a coast to coast ALL backroads,, backroads are the way to go!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,037 Posts
Yeah, Russelville is right off of I-40. If he had said he bought one in Olympia, WA on the way back to Central, IL I would definitely be wondering :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to you all for the warm welcome, I hadn't really expected to get any notice at all, being as there are a lot of AT riders in here.

Here's a couple pics; first is right after signing the papers, the second is about 1/3 the way thru my first 2-1/2 ride thru Ozark National Forest, just north on Rt 7, from the dealer's place.

She's a beauty!
I'm chomping at the bit waiting to go pick it up.

·
Super Moderator
1,037 Posts
Russellville Honda. We stopped in there breifly while touring the area. Heartland Honda as well after picking up a nail in Eureka Springs.

Which reminds me, the guy who own the Park General Store kept telling us he wants to open up a location in Colorado, but no sign of it yet :(

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Thanks to you all for the warm welcome, I hadn't really expected to get any notice at all, being as there are a lot of AT riders in here.

Here's a couple pics; first is right after signing the papers, the second is about 1/3 the way thru my first 2-1/2 ride thru Ozark National Forest, just north on Rt 7, from the dealer's place.

View attachment 54113

View attachment 54114

She's a beauty!
I'm chomping at the bit waiting to go pick it up.
That is a wickedly beautiful AT Peter. And it would have nothing to do with the fact that I have the exact same model. In fact, I just came back from a surreal, spooky peaceful night ride.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A sign of a TRUE adventure rider!
Oh My Gosh, I'm so sorry to mislead you, and sorry to have to admit, that I was traveling in my 2006 Toyota Sienna, basically, a cozy, rolling motel room. The big adventure was spending nights at Love's, and using lots of hand cleaner after fueling up.

However, I AM planning on many Adventures with this thing!

·
Super Moderator
1,545 Posts
Oh My Gosh, I'm so sorry to mislead you, and sorry to have to admit, that I was traveling in my 2006 Toyota Sienna, basically, a cozy, rolling motel room. The big adventure was spending nights at Love's, and using lots of hand cleaner after fueling up.

View attachment 54123

View attachment 54125

View attachment 54124

However, I AM planning on many Adventures with this thing!
Oh I knew you were traveling “in a cage”, I was just pointing out your heart as a adventure rider, you know seeing what’s over that next hill, around that next corner. The “detours“ that make life interesting and sometimes bring true happiness into our lives. Like your detour did as evident in that last photo above and what is right behind you.

BTW in that “feet” picture you did look like you were pretty comfy..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Russellville Honda. We stopped in there breifly while touring the area. Heartland Honda as well after picking up a nail in Eureka Springs.

Which reminds me, the guy who own the Park General Store kept telling us he wants to open up a location in Colorado, but no sign of it yet :(

Eureka Springs is on my map back to IL! Might spend a night if it's allowable by then.

·
Super Moderator
1,037 Posts
Eureka Springs is on my map back to IL! Might spend a night if it's allowable by then.
We stayed at a really nice B&B while there. I will have to see if I can find the name of it. Very cozy, nice garden patio area, great breakfast in the AM and close walking to the shops and restaurants.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts