Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a tutoro on my 990, it was ok, a bit of a pain to set up though.
Yes it does look slightly fiddly,I really like the idea of the Cobrra system and it looks really tidy,but could cause your bars to be cluttered if you have phones,heated grips controls and satnav units mounted aswell.
Iv used Scotoilers in the past with great effect,but would quite happily try something different.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I used a PD Oiler on my Versys. Still have it. No plans to install it on the AT, but it could happen.

The Cobrra seemed kinda cool, but takes a lot of space on the bars, and the nozzle mounted by the rear sprocket in the video looks like it would get eaten by the chain and sprocket eventually. Bar mount may take space away from phone and other accessories, but it doesn't seem like a bad idea. Not a lot of places to mount an oiler on the AT

·
Registered
61 Posts
Fitted a Tuturo and found it quite easy to fit and set up. Once you get the drip rate right it works very well.

UK price for fitting a Scotoiler was £250, Tuturo was less than £100. More fitting attachments included than needed and included a bottle of oil and a small container for carrying spare oil.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why do you need an oiler on a sealed O-ring chain? Surface rust?
My personal opinion is that once set up correctly an oiler is almost fit and forget,and seems to keep the chain relatively clean.
Iv had nearly 25k miles out out my chain and sprockets on my Blackbird and it required very little attention and I gave the chain a good clean maybe every three months,this included commuting in all weathers. I feel like the oiler keeps your O-rings in really good condition and the regular flow of clean oil helps to clear out any grit and dirt,yes I'll admit you can keep a chain in just as good condition with regular cleaning and oiling,but I find oilers let you relax more with regards to cleaning ect,also with an oiler the need to adjust the chain is less than a chain with no oiler.

·
Registered
423 Posts
For those that have the Tutoro, could you please post some photos of the position you have placed it?

I had it in my previous bike and worked very good. I have hard time locating it on the ATAS at a place that is not protruding the bike and it does not interfere with the swingarm. Behind the left side pilion footrest seems to be the only position but still if it would happen that the rear shock should bottom, the chain guard will still hit the device.

With this opportunity, a hind: I found out that my Turoto was leaking, so I removed it again and found a huge crack on the container. It seems to me that the material got brittle due to the oil I had been using for the last years (Gear Oil SAE90). Maybe owners would like to take a look at Tutoro's recomender oils: only mineral based if not the branded one.

So, I have to buy a new one and the Nemo 2 also looks nice and it would fit rather more easy since it seems to be shorter than the Tutoro, but I am a bit concern on life span.... wouln't this continuous rotation eventually compormise the sealing?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I had a Scottoiler on the previous bike and went with a Tutoro on the AT. I would go with the Tutoro again, I very much prefer it to the Scottoiler. I like the way that it is designed about as simply as possible for an automatic oiler - less complicated equals less to go wrong. I had issues with the Scottoiler either not having any oil flow or having too much, it seemed finicky and inconsistent. The Tutoro seems to work more consistently and I'm finding it good with 1 & 1/4 turns out from fully closed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nice little family run business as well - just across the Severn Bridge from me. Good people to deal with and I have just fitted one to my ATAS.
I fitted it on the LH pillion hanger, but on the outside of it. I have to say it is a little exposed to the adjuster being knocked, but I couldn't see any realistic alternative position. Will have to see how it goes.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Nice little family run business as well - just across the Severn Bridge from me. Good people to deal with and I have just fitted one to my ATAS.
I fitted it on the LH pillion hanger, but on the outside of it. I have to say it is a little exposed to the adjuster being knocked, but I couldn't see any realistic alternative position. Will have to see how it goes.
I had fitted it in the inside using SW-Motech's clamp and custom made metal blade. For what I have seen, the outer vertical edge of the chain cover can touch it in the unlike (for me) event of bottoming the rear. But, it is easily resolved by cutting out that area of the chain cover.

I had been using the Tutoro for years and was happy with it; most probably I shall choose it again.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
How much mess do these make on the bike, or do they not fling the oil off the chain like some chain lubes?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Probably no more mess than spray on chain lube. The trick is to adjust the oiler so that it is dispensing the correct amount of oil - not too much and not too little. Easy to say, but not so easy to do in reality - I found the Scottoiler difficult to get right, hence why I am now trying the Tutoro.
Having said that, oilers use very light oil, which IMO is much easier to clean off then the goo that it lefty spray cans.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Having said that, oilers use very light oil, which IMO is much easier to clean off then the goo that it lefty spray cans.
Very true.

Also, those systems keep the chain much cleaner than the spray cans. This is because the sprays ususally have some adhesive additives so that the lubricant stays longer on the chain. However, along with the lubricant so does the dust.....

·
Registered
445 Posts
Here are pics of how my oiler is mounted on my ATAS. I have about 2000 miles on it and I am happy with it so far.
Any interference with the center stand usage? I find not easy to use the center stand with the side panniers because of the tight space there, if you add the oiler reservoir isn't it even more difficult?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts