Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been about six months since I installed a Scottoiler X series electronic chain oiler. I put about 3,000 miles of mixed riding on the twin during that time.

The install was easy; the oiler primed and functioned well, up until this week. The chain has stayed lubed, with no need for adjustment in the brief time I have had the oiler installed.

However, I would not buy it again. The resevoir is a two piece affair with six little Torx screws holding the asymetrical "halves" together with a longitudinal seam. For $250 US, it is a poor product.

Mine started leaking at the seam, and drained the full resevoir onto the side of my bike.

I suppose I could fix it, but the nice folks at Twisted Throttle were willing to swap a new one for it, so will try that. I think it is a poor design, destined to fail. It may be that the heat in the Arizona Desert (in the sun) is too much for it. I have ridden at 120 F a few times, this year, already.

Here is a pic showing the seam failure, at the bottom of the resevoir:

20200730_131032.jpg

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Man. Heat + vibration + possible seam breakdown due to choice of fluid?

Agreed. The design appears complicated. Oil - ideally - should be stored in a one piece glass unit. I suppose machined aluminum will do too. The Tutoro brand chain oiler is plastic, but at least it is a single piece. However, if one puts regular conventional engine oil in it, stories told the plastic will breakdown. I have two and neither have broken down over the years, but I have not used conventional motor oil in them either.

·
Registered
272 Posts
As @Westbarn1 said on the times I've dealt with scottoil they have been very helpful.
I reckon they would replace it for you too, in fact they would probably appreciate the feedback.
Give em a try

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man. Heat + vibration + possible seam breakdown due to choice of fluid?

Agreed. The design appears complicated. Oil - ideally - should be stored in a one piece glass unit. I suppose machined aluminum will do too. The Tutoro brand chain oiler is plastic, but at least it is a single piece. However, if one puts regular conventional engine oil in it, stories told the plastic will breakdown. I have two and neither have broken down over the years, but I have not used conventional motor oil in them either.

Hey DT, agree. I did not know the resevoir was a two piece unit when I bought it. Fluid used was Scottoil's red (higher temp) oil. In hindsight, I probably should have switched over to their E series system, and just returned the unit in exchange for credit towards the even more expensive unit.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scottoiler do back their products up, they would replace it without question.
Well, I checked their website, first. I think you are right, but they say go through your point of purchase, unless you bought it directly from them. I called Twisted Throttle customer support, and was very pleased with level of support and hassel free exchange. I still think the unit is a poor design, and regret the purchase. Maybe the resevoir on the E system unit is a better design. If the replacement leaks, I will perhaps try that route.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts