Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that when replacing the screen on a standard AT there is a problem with the screw holder falling down inside the head nose cone.

How do you overcome this if you want to replace your screen but not lose them ?

Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So remove top bolts, loosen lowers ones, and slide downwards with screen and the screen comes off still with the lower bolts attached ???

·
Registered
21 Posts
This happened to me and it was a huge pain! I had to take all the fairings off to remove the front cowl and retrieve them. When replacing them, I put a strip of tape underneath each one to prevent them from sliding down.

·
Registered
168 Posts
When I removed my nose cone to get to the 12V Aux plug a barrel plug fell out. Couldn't for the life of me figure where it came from. Then when replacing the screen I lost on of the barrel plugs into the nose cone. All I can figure is that they did the same thing when the put the bike together and I got an extra that I ended up needing!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wish I had read this before attempting to fit a new screen on Sunday!
Very pleased that forum had a link to the YouTube vid for removing the front fairing and plastics. At least I was able to corrosion proof all the connectors and bolts in there while I was at it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't take the lower ones all the way out. The holes in the brackets are keyway-slotted, you just slide them down and pull them out.
I fitted a screen today and this post by Shadowjack was a great help. Below is a pic with the screen removed to show how the two bottom holes are slotted.
Bucky.
0236ECDB-E5D1-4A74-BEDB-849C9E3DD732.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
2,140 Posts
That’s not just here, you gotta watch all the “clip nuts” on the AT normally these nuts are made from a high carbon spring steel. But Honda’s are butter soft and spread open real easy, then of course they fall in places that are not fun to retrieve..

·
Registered
354 Posts
I musta got lucky. Had my windscreen off twice yesterday. Noticed the slotted holes at the bottom but didn't have any issues.

·
Super Moderator
3,586 Posts
I will add that past Forum posts added value to my attention when I took my screen off for the first (and subsequent) time.

The Forum is working.

·
Super Moderator
3,586 Posts
I musta got lucky. Had my windscreen off twice yesterday. Noticed the slotted holes at the bottom but didn't have any issues.
No fear.

Last week I believe I saw replacements available at my local HD (Home Depot). I didn't intensely study them, but they were same style; possibly a tad larger, but I didn't scan for a range of sizes (was in a bit of a rush). In the hardware drawers section of the store. FYI anyway.

·
Administrator
1,916 Posts
I purchased some bulk M5 5mm wellnuts on Amazon so I would always have spares. In addition to losing one or two at various times between our two bikes. I have also found the dealerships love to over tighten them to the point of destroying them :)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,586 Posts
I purchased some bulk M5 5mm wellnuts on Amazon so I would always have spares. In addition to losing one or two at various times between our two bikes. I have also found the dealerships love to over tighten them to the point of destroying them :)
Great tip Cuch. (y)

·
Administrator
1,916 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
I read somewhere that if you gently hand start the screws into the wellnut they go in fine. Just get them started then use your wrench. I just tried it and worked great.

So these are 5MM wellnuts?

·
Administrator
1,916 Posts
I read somewhere that if you gently hand start the screws into the wellnut they go in fine. Just get them started then use your wrench. I just tried it and worked great.

So these are 5MM wellnuts?
They are an M5 5MM, which is a 0.8 thread pitch, 5mm opening.

The actual dimensions of the wellnut are approx:

Lenght: 14.5mm
Barrel: 9.5mm
Flange: 12.5mm
Flange thickness: 1.5mm

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think the uppers on mine may have been over tightened, I noticed they had pulled out the other day while I was cleaning my screen. Might have to get some spares.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts