Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would try this screen which is only 37 quid including postage - made in the UK. Both Honda screens cause unacceptable levels of buffeting when I wear a peaked helmet. This cut down screen works, and I think I have wasted my money on the plastic flaps which are on the way from the USA to stop the updraught from the fork area.
I was going to cut the corners off this screen as I think it looks a bit odd, but I now think it works to deflect air from the upper body while keeping any buffeting below the visor height.
Mike

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Mike,

Can you let us know ur height? I like the screen..specially for the price...But dont know if it would work for me..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
I took the touring package on my AT, but replaced the high screen with this one !
https://www.mrashop.de/com/selectio...l-africa-twin-sport-screen-sp-2016?c=90005945

From what I found, most of the peak buffeting I get, comes from under the forks through handlebar, if I put my phone holder on the bar, it's allready almost gone.
Same with MRA screen, though about 19cm lower, I don't see much difference on the peak buffeting, most of that comes through the forks.
I'm 6.0, so invest in covering the whole spot between fork/handlebar and tank, you'll see a better improvement !

·
Registered
76 Posts
I took the touring package on my AT, but replaced the high screen with this one !
https://www.mrashop.de/com/selectio...l-africa-twin-sport-screen-sp-2016?c=90005945

From what I found, most of the peak buffeting I get, comes from under the forks through handlebar, if I put my phone holder on the bar, it's allready almost gone.
Same with MRA screen, though about 19cm lower, I don't see much difference on the peak buffeting, most of that comes through the forks.
I'm 6.0, so invest in covering the whole spot between fork/handlebar and tank, you'll see a better improvement !

Thanks for the feedback..Really appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I put the forkguard things on today, and can't say that I noticed any difference - mind you the short screen had all but eliminated buffeting anyway but I was hoping that the fork guard things would make it all whisper quiet as although the peak doesn't rattle about now, there is a noticeable whistling from it even with my earplugs in.
I will be keen to see if the forkguards work with the Honda touring screen to stop peak vibrations, and will know by next weekend as the touring screen is coming as part of the adventure pack (or something) that includes stand and panniers.
Mike

·
Registered
154 Posts
I like the look of that screen and would consider getting one as a replacement when the existing screen gets too badly scratched up. Currently I have the MRA x-creen fitted to the existing screen and am more than happy. Without it, I had extensive buffeting and the ride was was really uncomfortable; with the x-creen fitted and adjusted correctly I can wear a peak and even ride at motorway speeds+ with the visor up in total comfort. The airflow is now at least 18 inches above the top of my head.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well I put the forkguard things on today, and can't say that I noticed any difference - mind you the short screen had all but eliminated buffeting anyway but I was hoping that the fork guard things would make it all whisper quiet as although the peak doesn't rattle about now, there is a noticeable whistling from it even with my earplugs in.
I will be keen to see if the forkguards work with the Honda touring screen to stop peak vibrations, and will know by next weekend as the touring screen is coming as part of the adventure pack (or something) that includes stand and panniers.
Mike
Seems to me you're trying to fix a helmet problem, if big screen and the forks guard don't do anything, then change helmet.

Reactions: superfunkomatic

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Seems to me you're trying to fix a helmet problem, if big screen and the forks guard don't do anything, then change helmet.
Well yes ..... I have a helmet where the peak doesn't vibrate but that's because it's peakless :wink2: but for me that would be a backward step having discovered all the advantages of peaked helmets just a year ago,
Mike

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like the look of that screen and would consider getting one as a replacement when the existing screen gets too badly scratched up. Currently I have the MRA x-creen fitted to the existing screen and am more than happy. Without it, I had extensive buffeting and the ride was was really uncomfortable; with the x-creen fitted and adjusted correctly I can wear a peak and even ride at motorway speeds+ with the visor up in total comfort. The airflow is now at least 18 inches above the top of my head.
I always get excited by other people's solutions to the airflow problem on upright bikes and have a garage full of devices that made absolutely no difference for me. For my last few bikes (Triumph Rocket3, Versys, Honda NC750X and now the Africa Twin I will have amassed 13 or 14 screens and approximately 12 different devices to either lift or angle the screens or put laminar flow type attachments on the top of them. None have ever worked for me ..... and yet I'm ever hopeful and based on Derek's experience I am now going to buy a vario clamp-on to try that on the standard and touring screens. In the meantime I will continue with the only solution that has ever worked for me - either no screen as per the Rocket, or radically cut-down screens on the other bikes.
Mike

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I put the fork covering devices on yesterday and whilst I haven't tried them with the bigger screens yet, I'm slightly dubious about the physics. The gap around the fork tops is necessarily large and the amount of that gap covered by the deflectors is perhaps 10-15%. I held my hand near the 'outlets' for the deflectors expecting to feel considerable air pressure, but couldn't feel anything. (I did feel a lot of turbulent air pressure coming from the sideholes that are obvious in the cut-down screen and match the ones that are in OEM screen.
Mike

·
Registered
59 Posts
It is so hard to get this right since we are not all the same height nor ride in the same position fore/aft or even upright or slouched. I find that all matters.

I did have success putting on the Touratech short screen and the vastly overpriced, http://swegotech.com air forksheild.

At 75mph+ (about 120kpH) the air was still with no buffeting with my XD4 helmet. This is a vast improvement and even better than my F800gs was with stock setup (that never buffeted but it was windy.)

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes Stephen, My shorty screen (the one at the beginning of this thread) is going back on now. The swegotech things can stay on because I can't be bothered to take them off, but they made no extra difference to the big improvement offered by the short screen, and I have just ridden back 40 miles from the Honda dealership with my OEM touring screen fitted and the Swegotech things made absolutely no difference to the horrendous buffeting that I remembered from a year ago when test riding the touring screen AT.
....... However ..... I was able to get relative silence (and a settled helmet peak) by leaning forwards about a foot. So now I'm thinking one of those clamp on streamliners might work on the touring screen. Hah there goes another £100 down the plughole.
Mike

·
Registered
256 Posts
One of he fourm members promotes the: SWEGOTECH Forkshield deflector, which members seem to agree that it helps quite a bit by reducing air flow coming up from the forks. Give it a look.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts