Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I wonder if anyone may be able to help me.

I have a 2017 AT (DCT model if that makes any difference).

When I clean it, I tend to remove the front screen and other bits and pieces. I can then dump them in the sink to remove road crud and flies etc. Much easier!

However... This time I’ve been a bit stupid. In putting the screen back on, I put a bit too much pressure on one of the screws, and the rubber mounting/grommet behind has fallen off into the fairing.

I’m thinking that I *may* be able to get at it if I remove the back of the headlights, but I can’t find any info online on how to do that.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to retrieve this grommet?

Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I may be wrong here as I'm pretty new to the Africa twin myself.
I think you would be better off ordering a new part from Honda. The fairing is not very easy to dismantle. Many many fixings of both hex heads and plastic clips holding it together.
If its just the rubber bungs on the back of each headlight. They just pull off. Maybe easier with some grips.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may be wrong here as I'm pretty new to the Africa twin myself.
I think you would be better off ordering a new part from Honda. The fairing is not very easy to dismantle. Many many fixings of both hex heads and plastic clips holding it together.
If its just the rubber bungs on the back of each headlight. They just pull off. Maybe easier with some grips.
Thanks for the response. It’s not that I need a new part, nothing has broken. I’m just trying to find out how to retrieve the other end of the bolt that fell off! Due to my incompetence of course!

I guess you’re on the right lines though. I reckon that I will need to take the fairing apart to retrieve it. Sigh...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im with SROG order yourself some new well nuts and replace it.
saves taking the fairing off, but if you do fancy it the vid below is quite good
https://youtu.be/qc1SOR4hJ48
/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Sorry, I don’t quite understand why I’m being told to order replacements. The grommet isn’t lost, nor is any part broken. In any case, even if I ordered a replacement, I still need to get into the fairing to fit it.

I’m really just trying to work out how I can retrieve the grommet without removing the fairing. Assuming it’s possible of course!

·
Registered
18 Posts
So when you "lose" the grommet, it's so hard to get back, that it often is easier to get new ones, and they're cheap. I got mine out, (two of them), by taking the left fairing off, and you can then see into the space, where they fall into. I simply put my handheld vacuum hose up to the hole, and sucked them out. You could also put something sticky on the end of a chop stick, and grab them that way. The hole I'm talking about is a space behind the headlights, and in front of the triple tree. Taking the fairing side off is WAY easier than you might think. A few screws, and a few of those push grommets, and it comes off easily. Start from the tank end, and the fairing will kinda hinge on the front end. Just go slow...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So when you "lose" the grommet, it's so hard to get back, that it often is easier to get new ones, and they're cheap. I got mine out, (two of them), by taking the left fairing off, and you can then see into the space, where they fall into. I simply put my handheld vacuum hose up to the hole, and sucked them out. You could also put something sticky on the end of a chop stick, and grab them that way. The hole I'm talking about is a space behind the headlights, and in front of the triple tree. Taking the fairing side off is WAY easier than you might think. A few screws, and a few of those push grommets, and it comes off easily. Start from the tank end, and the fairing will kinda hinge on the front end. Just go slow...
Gotcha. Thank you very much indeed! I’ll be taking pics as I go (so I can get everything back properly!), so I can post them here afterwards to help others. Assuming of course I don’t end up with a half naked AT front end... 🙂

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,

When I clean it, I tend to remove the front screen and other bits and pieces. I can then dump them in the sink to remove road crud and flies etc. Much easier!

However... This time I’ve been a bit stupid. In putting the screen back on, I put a bit too much pressure on one of the screws, and the rubber mounting/grommet behind has fallen off into the fairing.

I’m thinking that I *may* be able to get at it if I remove the back of the headlights, but I can’t find any info online on how to do that.

Thanks.
I've done that too. Unfortunately yes you have to remove the side fairing and then you should be able to get to it. It's not that difficult but a real pain in the rearside never the less.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,

Thanks.
I've done that too. Unfortunately yes you have to remove the side fairing and then you should be able to get to it. It's not that difficult but a real pain in the rearside never the less.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
I kind of had a feeling that that would be the case. I’m certainly going to be more careful next time!

Thanks to everyone on this thread for the help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I kind of had a feeling that that would be the case. I’m certainly going to be more careful next time!

Thanks to everyone on this thread for the help.

If I remember correctly, the bottom holes where the grommets go in are keyhole slotted. So for the bottom grommets, start them with the screws/bolts onto the windshield, then slide the windshield on the fairing. This will keep from bumping the grommets off. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
361 Posts
The fairing is really not that hard to remove (unless you have protection bars fitted, which must be taken off first). I have it down to 10m, but I've done it four times. The hardest part is knowing how much pressure you can safely use to pull the fairing pins from their seats without breaking something. Go very slow and you'll be fine. Before reinstalling, put some silicone grease on the pins and subsequent disassembly is a breeze.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did the same thing last week installing new driving lights. You may need to take off the inner cover as well as the fairing to get to that area. Here's a good video explaining how to take the bike apart. It really isn't that hard. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If I remember correctly, the bottom holes where the grommets go in are keyhole slotted. So for the bottom grommets, start them with the screws/bolts onto the windshield, then slide the windshield on the fairing. This will keep from bumping the grommets off. Good luck.

Also when you take the screws out to remove the fairing, just loosen them for the grommets, do not remove them. The windshield will come off and retain the screws and grommets on windshield.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts