Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just ran into this and was wondering if anyone here might have tried it out yet? I have a Seat Concepts seat/saddle on another bike and it's fantastic......especially for the price.

Here's the link.... http://www.seatconcepts.com/store/products#!/Honda-2016-17-CRF1000L-Africa-Twin/p/73015276/category=1671356

I have several friends that have bought these for a wide range of bikes from WR250R's, DRZ's to 1190, 1200GS's and all very happy. I had a breathable Touratech seat on a 1200GS and thought of trying one of those out on the AT but they're a lot more $$$$!:surprise:

Tempted by this SC seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you for the link.
I have just placed my order.
We have used their seats with the gripper top on several of our bikes and have always found them to be an improvement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am always getting a bit suspicious when I see seats which are lower in the middle than on the sides. What happens when it'r raining? Are you going to sit in a pool of water? No problem for those living in Arizona, very much a problem for us in Scandinavia. Or for the poor Brits! :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am always getting a bit suspicious when I see seats which are lower in the middle than on the sides. What happens when it'r raining? Are you going to sit in a pool of water? No problem for those living in Arizona, very much a problem for us in Scandinavia. Or for the poor Brits! :)
Not if you have your Frogg Toggs !!! (pro version)

I once road about 200 miles on my Goldwing sitting in a big seat puddle. Stayed dry all the way. :wink2:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Does anyone have any significant seat time with one of these yet ? Any feedback, worth the money ?

The biggest complaint I have with the oem seat is the forward slope if I sit all the way back into the rise it's reasonably comfy but I always end up sliding forward to the skinnier part of the seat unless I make a conscious effort to lock my knees on the tank to hold my butt at the back of the seat. Seat Concepts say they have addressed the forward slope and have a larger area at the rear.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Does anyone have any significant seat time with one of these yet ? Any feedback, worth the money ?

The biggest complaint I have with the oem seat is the forward slope if I sit all the way back into the rise it's reasonably comfy but I always end up sliding forward to the skinnier part of the seat unless I make a conscious effort to lock my knees on the tank to hold my butt at the back of the seat. Seat Concepts say they have addressed the forward slope and have a larger area at the rear.
I bought the Rally version and primarily for the increased height (not really noticeable to me), I find it more comfortable due to being able to slide back farther and hitting the hump from the rear seat. Comparing the foam between it and stock seat, they are very similar, so not a night and day comfort difference. I'm happy with the purchase and in the "end", that's all that matters.

http://www.seatconcepts.com/store/products#!/Honda-2016-17-CRF1000L-Africa-Twin-*RALLY*/p/74403377/category=1671356

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have about 10 hours on mine, maybe a bit more. Like it so far. Much better than the stock seat. No really long trips yet, but will this summer.

Did the front seat and rear cover so they would match. Not a fan of the stock red seat.

For those that are not familiar, Seat Concepts does seat kits, as well as complete seats. There is no complete seat kit from them for the AT yet, so you re-use your stock seat pan. They supply the foam and cover.

They will cover the seat for you for $20, but you need to ship your seat pan to them. I do my own, and have done about 8 seat kits so far for my bikes and friends bikes.

Very high quality foam and marine grade vinyl. Excellent stitching and fit. Very economical compared to full custom seats or even Corbin or Sargent.

I am a happy customer.

Rob

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have about 10 hours on mine, maybe a bit more. Like it so far. Much better than the stock seat. No really long trips yet, but will this summer.

Did the front seat and rear cover so they would match. Not a fan of the stock red seat.

For those that are not familiar, Seat Concepts does seat kits, as well as complete seats. There is no complete seat kit from them for the AT yet, so you re-use your stock seat pan. They supply the foam and cover.

They will cover the seat for you for $20, but you need to ship your seat pan to them. I do my own, and have done about 8 seat kits so far for my bikes and friends bikes.

Very high quality foam and marine grade vinyl. Excellent stitching and fit. Very economical compared to full custom seats or even Corbin or Sargent.

I am a happy customer.

Rob

Did you notice if it fixed the forward slope in the oem foam ?

How do you like the gripper material is yours the gripper or low gripper material ?

Thanks for the input getting close to ordering a kit.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes, it fixes the slide forward into the tank issue. No slope.

I got the carbon sides and gripper top. It keeps you from sliding around, but doesn't grab so much that it binds. Just lift slightly and you can slide. Works well.

Rob

·
Registered
791 Posts

The white stripes on the red bike is the one thing that put me off buying that colour. I'm patiently waiting on Sargent releasing their seat, but they've moved the release back from Spring to mid/late summer very recently. I'd also kinda loath to have to lose my blue seats as well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had a seat concepts on my F800gs for 3 years and it did great. I love the rally one for the AT but I am digging the lower seat height compared to the 800gs so I guess I will not go that direction.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I did a 600Km day yesterday with the new Seat Concepts seat much better than the original no forward slope and the extra width adds more support not 100% perfect for me as I still had a sore butt at the end of the day but it's a big improvement over stock and I think with time it will break in nicely.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I just returned from a 2500 mile pavement/dirt ride with my new Seat Concepts Rally model foam and cover kit. I am 6'4", so the extra height is good and I love getting rid of the sinkhole in front and bump in the rear. I can move around and easily slide back. I wanted a one-piece seat but unable to find one in the USA. This seat is almost as good as a one-piece, with transition between the front and rear is hardly noticeable to my butt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
has anyone done any long distance trips with one of these seats? 500 miles a day or more? Ive done 500 mile days with the stock seat but every day got worse. Anyone???

·
Registered
791 Posts
I’ve done 350 miles in a day on my new Sargent seat. Glad I bought it, don’t know if I’d ever do 500 miles per day.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have done nearly that far in one day with my Seat Concepts seat. I would give it a B+, with the stock seat getting a C- for me. Great improvement for the price, but not perfect for my butt.

I have had a few Sargents and Corbins. Hit or miss on each of them as far as comfort on 500+ miles days. All were way better than stock.

Rob

·
Registered
285 Posts
I just returned from a 2500 mile pavement/dirt ride with my new Seat Concepts Rally model foam and cover kit. I am 6'4", so the extra height is good and I love getting rid of the sinkhole in front and bump in the rear. I can move around and easily slide back. I wanted a one-piece seat but unable to find one in the USA. This seat is almost as good as a one-piece, with transition between the front and rear is hardly noticeable to my butt.

I'm still hesitating between the standard and rally concept seat. Have you ridden the rally with a passenger? Do you feel like it affects your reach to the ground a lot? I'm 6'1" but probably have the legs of someone who's 6'3". Thanks. More pictures would also be great.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm going to bump this thread a bit and see if I can get someone to add new pictures. I'm considering ordering (most likely will go this route) a Rally front and comfort rear seat combo for my 2018 ATAS. Has anyone put the Seat Concepts blue seat on their ATAS? They don't do material samples and I'm not sure how well their blue is going to match. I'd rather just have black if it's not any closer than the OEM seat. We do a lot of two up thus the comfort rear section. I bought used OEM seat pans to have a seat build so that I could retain my stocker. Since it's been a year and a half since someone commented on this thread I'm hoping someone has some new pictures by now. Thanks!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I ended up putting a Concept Seat Rally on both my 2017 and 2019 AT. On the 2019 I tried the Rally passenger foam and it sucks. My girlfriend greatly preferred the stock foam, so I ordered just a cover for the passenger seat and now we are both comfortable and the seat pretty much looks OEM. Since I'm 6'1" I also appreciate the extra legroom and even more so is the absence of slop that was afflicting the stock seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a Seat concepts seat for sale if anyone is interested. It does not have the gripper top like the one on the first page of this post. I only have the front seat with red stitching. No rear seat. $125.00 plus shipping.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts