Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So - I've had my bike for 3 years now, and have about 24K on the clock. The stock seat was getting quite painful after an hour or so. After a good experience with Cuchulain's KTM seat from Seat Concepts, he gifted me one to make me less cranky and creaky on long touring trips (when we can take them again).

We ordered the foam and cover from SC and I planned to put it on myself to save some moola. We had a spare seat pan laying around due to the misguided notion that I might want a low seat. I had been using the stock seat in the low position until a trip to the shop had them putting the seat back in the high position and I didn't notice!
So I chose the Rally seat, and not the comfort seat because I wanted the shape for off-road. The Rally seat has more foam, and is definitely taller than the stock seat in the high position, but when placed in the low position, is just a smidge higher than the stock seat in the high position.

Seat cover and foam arrived, and we got exactly what SC recommends for installation, 3M Super-77 spray adhesive and pneumatic stapler with 20 gauge 3/16" Stanley T50 staples. Taking the old cover and foam off the pan and applying the new foam with the adhesive was easy. SC provided a waterproof barrier to place between the foam and the seat cover, but it just didn't feel sturdy enough. We used a 1.4 mil trash bag for the waterproof barrier instead. I heated the new cover slightly with a hair dryer, and stretched it over the foam and plastic, making sure it stayed straight. I practiced stapling on the matching pillion seat cover first, then went to town on the important part - MY seat :)

Turned out great and after a 1.5 hour ride or so, bum didn't feel like it'd been on a bike at all, rather more like a comfy sofa :) Highly recommend, 10/10.

Registered
That seat cover set looks perfect, with the red stitching. Goes awesome with the bike colors.
Thanks for the write-up. 馃嵒
I've used S. C. and Guts Racing on my dirt bikes for decades. Great products, that wear for a long time.

How do you like the side grip, when you're standing, and gripping with your knees?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the kind words on the write-up. I was worried that the red stitching would look too flashy, but it turned out ok.
I love the side grips from TechSpec. They help immensely with really feeling in contact and control of the bike.
I hope you get some!

Registered
Welcome to the Seat Comfort family GrrrIX. I put a Rally Comfort seat on Ol' Red several months ago. I consider that add one of the best upgrades of many I've made to the bike. The new seat is a much better experience for long distances and for off-road.

The red stitching makes a nice accent, though I may have a biased point of view. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts