Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this was discussed before.....
The seat is not so comfy after 2 hour or so of riding.
Does a new seat really making a difference ? or the pain comes after 3 hours...instead of 2....
And finaliy - what seat is really honestly working? it is not a cheap item+shipment overseas...
Thanks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It is only money after all

You could save the money and just get off for 15 minutes every half-tank.
Or spend a small amount of money and enjoy the ride more, which is presumably what we buy the bikes for!

If you're reasonably well paid, most things related to the bike can be bought for the equivalent of a few hours' worth of work. A seat at $300 is 5-10 hours of work for most people. That's the number of hours in one day's riding for many people on this forum, so hardly a huge amount, and a good seat will last for years and remove the discomfort.
@Mosko - be interested to follow your conclusions. If my AT's seat doesn't soften up a bit - early days, only a few hundred miles so far - I'm thinking of a Sargent. SW Motech now do their own air cushion, which also looks interesting.

·
Registered
309 Posts
At the beginning, me too had some problems with the seat hardness, but after sometime you get used to it.
You can also just add a layer of memory foam on top of the OEM foam. A sadlery shop (is it the correct word?) can easily do it...

·
Registered
225 Posts
At the beginning, me too had some problems with the seat hardness, but after sometime you get used to it.
You can also just add a layer of memory foam on top of the OEM foam. A sadlery shop (is it the correct word?) can easily do it...
Yep that's what I did makes about a 1h difference, but let's be honest no saddle ever can be comfy for 8h straight, few people that sometimes tell me how great they saddle are and they never feel any soreness, I think their asses are basically undead :wink2:.

Cost me 120$ and was done on the spot that's the great thing !
The sheep skin does work nicely but I once got into a drought with it on... it's terrible because it takes hours to dry up and your but then is all moist.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I bought an Air Hawk cushion that works great. I do get fatigued after a few hours and have to shift my weight around, but it is definitely better than when I didn't have it. The nice thing about a cushion is that it can be transferred between bikes. The most noticeable difference using this cushion, for me, is that I wasn't saddle sore after a day of riding.

·
Registered
848 Posts
New seat really does make a difference. I had a stock seat on my VFR and a Sargent. At first, it didn't seem like much of a change, but on longer trips and marathon days the difference in foam is really noticeable.
On my AT I've done quite a few 12 hour + days and just getting off regularly helps but it's still tiring. Not really sore, just glad to get off at the end of the day. I think it's a pretty comfy seat.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Did 15 day Euro trip of between 5-9hrs daily rides. Stopped every hour for drink & vape break.
The more you ride, the less you fell

·
Super Moderator
1,545 Posts
The OEM seat wasn’t to bad but was comfy after a couple hours either. Brought a OEM lower version (I have a AS) the OEM low seat in the lowest position was uncomfortably low. Yea my feet were FLAT on the ground but it put my knees up close to my chest and me kinda reaching up for the bars.. LOL - I felt like an adult on a smalll kids bike. High position wasn’t bad at all legs/Kees felt comfortable good reach/angle on the bars. Road home - 23 miles - and that was it - off it came and hasn’t been on since... About the last mile or so I did standing up my butt hurt so bad. Went to Corbin web site designed my seat, a few weeks later it was at my door and not of yet has my bit been sore and they only get better with time, the more you use them the more comfortable they become....

·
Registered
139 Posts
The problem with the 15 minute break after a 2 hr stint is that after 5 or 6 hours...the 15 minutes isn't sufficient and the next period of riding has to be reduced from 2 hr as well...It is a shame that Honda don't do 2 or 3 different seat designs so that you stand a chance of getting the one that fits the shape of your backside rather than having the standard seat remoulded or get a whole new seat

·
Registered
190 Posts
The problem with the 15 minute break after a 2 hr stint is that after 5 or 6 hours...the 15 minutes isn't sufficient and the next period of riding has to be reduced from 2 hr as well...It is a shame that Honda don't do 2 or 3 different seat designs so that you stand a chance of getting the one that fits the shape of your backside rather than having the standard seat remoulded or get a whole new seat
The AT has the AT seat, the AT low seat, the ATAS touring seat, and the ATAS low seat. They are all different sizes, shapes, and comfort levels. So, checkmate ;)

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
I put 4,300 miles on my brand new bike before buying an upgrade seat. After a 1,300 mile weekend where it got fairly uncomfortable, I ordered a Sargent Seat set.

I just put them on yesterday morning and did 800 miles over two days.

MONEY... WELL... SPENT...

Before upgrading I did enough miles to "adjust" to the bike, but that didn't make it better. A better seat made the bike more enjoyable.

Aside from the Africa Twin AS, I also have a Corbin on my Norton Commando and a Sargent on my FZ1. Both are much better than the stock seats they replaced.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I put 4,300 miles on my brand new bike before buying an upgrade seat. After a 1,300 mile weekend where it got fairly uncomfortable, I ordered a Sargent Seat set.

I just put them on yesterday morning and did 800 miles over two days.

MONEY... WELL... SPENT...

Before upgrading I did enough miles to "adjust" to the bike, but that didn't make it better. A better seat made the bike more enjoyable.

Aside from the Africa Twin AS, I also have a Corbin on my Norton Commando and a Sargent on my FZ1. Both are much better than the stock seats they replaced.
When you have the front section of the seat in the lowest position there is a height difference ,Is there any point in buying the set as they will only look uniform in the high setting??and what is the comfort like with the front sargent only as I never have a pillion on my ATAS??

·
Registered
340 Posts
This.

The heavy riders I know don't swap seats. They typically put a sheepskin, bead pad, air pad, or gel pad on the seat for longer rides.

I had an Airhawk pad from another bike, which I use. I still get off and stretch my legs. This is the most comfortable bike I've ever had for seating position, but I still get stiff.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I haven't purchased a pad yet. My limiting factor is back pain. My upper back gets tight and sore when I hit 45 minutes, but my butt feels fine. The controls are right where they need to be, so I wonder if I am tensing up more than I know.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts