Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
My wife and I both use those motoskiveez. They definitely help pad the sit bones. I prefer the 3/4 length compression model in combination with compression socks for longer distances.
Can I ask, as I am still trying to solve this issue, do they take pressure away from the chocolate starfish as this is where I feel the discomfort the most.:grin2:

·
Administrator
1,763 Posts
Can I ask, as I am still trying to solve this issue, do they take pressure away from the chocolate starfish as this is where I feel the discomfort the most.:grin2:

They do. They have different setups for different riding positions / bike styles as well. Sport, Adventure, Cruiser.

Here is the padding setup for the ADV shorts. The padding raises the cheeks up some and there is the gap between that provides some relief in the middle for the “chocolate starfish” and that nerve that runs along the groin (
Meralgia paresthetica)

h

Like most things, especially when it comes to motorcycle seating, it’s likely a YMMV kind of proposition, much like the airhawk, which many people love, but I hate.

I also tried some of the Lipowear Sit Relief Shorts and hated them. They seemed to bunch up and gave the permanent feeling of having a load in your pants. No thanks :)

The other pants I actually find effective for that are my Forcefield Pro armored pants. I think maybe because it provides that coccyx protector for the tailbone and pads on the butt that also seems to lift you up of the seat a bit.

http://allroadendurotouring.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/ForcefieldBodyArmourPROshirtXVpantsBottomMotorcycleProtection.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
173 Posts
They do. They have different setups for different riding positions / bike styles as well. Sport, Adventure, Cruiser.

Here is the padding setup for the ADV shorts. The padding raises the cheeks up some and there is the gap between that provides some relief in the middle for the “chocolate starfish” and that nerve that runs along the groin (
Meralgia paresthetica)

h

Like most things, especially when it comes to motorcycle seating, it’s likely a YMMV kind of proposition, much like the airhawk, which many people love, but I hate.

I also tried some of the Lipowear Sit Relief Shorts and hated them. They seemed to bunch up and gave the permanent feeling of having a load in your pants. No thanks :)

The other pants I actually find effective for that are my Forcefield Pro armored pants. I think maybe because it provides that coccyx protector for the tailbone and pads on the butt that also seems to lift you up of the seat a bit.

http://allroadendurotouring.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/ForcefieldBodyArmourPROshirtXVpantsBottomMotorcycleProtection.jpg

Hmmm..
They almost look like Pro Football pants.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
1,763 Posts
Hmmm..
They almost look like Pro Football pants.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Yeah, with that and the shirt on it’s almost like a super hero costume. The nicest thing about is as opposed to armored outer pants/jacket is that the armor stays close to the body and where you want/need it. Just wear a shell over it for abrasion protection.

http://allroadendurotouring.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/ForcefieldBodyArmourPROshirtXVpantsMotorcycleProtection.jpg

·
Registered
284 Posts
I tried these shorts and the Airhawk. The shorts really help relieve the usual pressure points. The Airhawk only made this worse, as the air is redirected from where the weight is (sitting bones) and ends up adding pressure points the last place you want them.

Having had a Seat Concept Rally on my 2017, I ordered another one as soon as I bought my 2019. It removes the slope that is so annoying to taller riders. Flatter seat, good motorcycle underwear, and you should be good for hundreds of km no problem.

Meralgia paresthetica)

h

·
Administrator
1,763 Posts
I tried these shorts and the Airhawk. The shorts really help relieve the usual pressure points. The Airhawk only made this worse, as the air is redirected from where the weight is (sitting bones) and ends up adding pressure points the last place you want them.

Having had a Seat Concept Rally on my 2017, I ordered another one as soon as I bought my 2019. It removes the slope that is so annoying to taller riders. Flatter seat, good motorcycle underwear, and you should be good for hundreds of km no problem.
Having recently swapped my 2016 AT for a 2019 ATAS, I now have the flatter seat with the slope gone. But I may still add a Seat Concepts cover or take it to my local shop Bitchn Stitchn to have it reworked a little. Every little bit helps.

Your experience with the Airhawk pretty much echos mine. People say, "Oh, you need to get the inflation right and then you will love it." But I have had the thing for years and have tried it on various bikes with inflation from almost flat onwards and it never seems "right" to me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
6ft tall and use a touratech comfort seat and Motoskiveez . Wash the skiveez 3-4 times before using as they feel a bit cardboardy and ride up your crack when new. Usual days riding is about 250 miles over 5-6hrs.
A few breaks to stretch limbs seems to help as well as standing on pegs for a bit to let the air in and take pressure off contact points. OEM seat was grim for me after a 100 miles leading to more breaks and less enjoyable rides so bit the bullet and spent the brass as the bike is a keeper for me.
I never got on completely with my Airhawk, if I ran it low it allowed pressure points to occur, if I put more air in I felt like wobbly bob rolling about on the seat.
500 mile days are a thing of the past for me, too old and too bony in the arse nowadays, just have to moderate the miles and time ridden so I'm fit to ride the following day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had the same issue with discomfort. Tried ai Musashi Air cushion which prolonged the journey from 45 mins to nearly 2 hours. However, the extra hight, although slight, caught me out twice at a junction. In my time of owning bikes, I have never toppled over from a near stationary position. During the same day of using this cushion, I toppled over twice at a junction as the ground wasn't there where I expected it to be. Just that extra reach and angle of the bike put extra pressure on my knee and I went over.

Im built like a penguin at six feet tall. All torso and stubby legs. I thought about using some sort of seat topper like you, but that would have been tempting fate as Im on the balls of my feet with a standard seat on low setting. The nice thing about the standard seat is you have a lot of depth to cut into and fill up with comfy gel. Dont quote me but, the stock seat is something like 5.5 inches thick at its deepest point. Lots of magic can happen can be stuffed in that amount of depth.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a few pairs of moto skiveez shorts but even those an be a PITA after 6hours of riding. I took the chance with the Sargents low profile seat and I’m very happy with it. I have a 30” inseam and use the low seat in the low position and I’m able to put both feet on the ground.

The Sargen seat is very comfy and is a win in my opinion.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts