Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Where has your Africa Twin Taken you?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I’ve had Russells on several prior bikes including my current FJR1300 and they always completely eliminated any thoughts of butt pain. Been meaning to put one on my 2017 AT but the Russell website didn’t have any examples in their gallery and I was concerned about what it would work like on the Twin. Seeing the photos above really makes me want to get in line for a custom front seat.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,851 Posts
Traveling by automobile, in typical automobile seats, I've comfortably driven sixteen plus hours with little stopping. Just seemed to be able to go for hours and hours and just keep going, safely, comfortably. And what one will notice about automobile seats is, they tend to slope backward.

Next, flying across the country weekly for a couple years working for a major software company quickly logged tens of thousands of miles. And sitting in airplane seats results in agony. Why? Observation is that it's because airplane seats slope forward....I've guessed it's to make it easier to evacuate, but who knows?

And so ah yes, airplane seats give the same kind of discomfort the AT does - seems likely fatigue from forward sloping seat.

On airplanes, I discovered, when taking a seat ask for two pillows and put them under thighs at the front of the seat.... (or, a jacket, blanket, absolutely anything you can get - get something under your thighs). Yep, relief.

There are other motorcycle forums where there are pages and pages of write-ups from folks trying to scientifically/technically analyze it, but finally thinking about it seems likely a key toward resolution is addressing seat tilt. Taking up the majority of weight on legs and thighs seems to be the answer for pain relief in long duration sitting.

Thanks for this comment and link -
Simple explanation; physics, fulcrum’s and weight distribution. The more you lean back the less weight is distributed to one part of your lower body. A better way of looking at it, to our body it’s more like standing and that is something the human form is well adapted to.

Reactions: Fuzzcat

·
Registered
3 Posts
View attachment 61020
Have done due diligence reading historical posts, now kindly asking for feedback. Seem to have a particularly unusual problem with seat pain after a short time in the saddle -

Can sit in an office chair, drive ten/twelve straight hours, operate machinery sunrise-sunset - however with as little as hour or two in the seat of my ’18 DCT baseline model can be in an unusually lot of pain - enough to need to stand on pegs to continue. Must be experiencing some type of gross anatomical misfit.

Looks like there are several highly-regarded aftermarket seats, but how would one know if they weren’t just purchasing the same problem? With the AT being my only road bike, I don’t have the insights most of you have or ability to get onto another machine to see how other seats feel or get a clue what the issue might be. The pic included above is from an historical post and is apparently from a custom seat builder - somehow that seat looks like it might work better - maybe hardcore ADV folks would get a chuckle from that, but whatever allows riding in comfort, right?

Suggestions on how to work toward resolution? Start with investing in gel pads or other odd items like the AirHawk or sheepskin to see if can begin to isolate the issue? Sure, visit a custom seat shop, but I'm probably a few hours away from one, and if walking into a seat shop do they automatically assume one is operating on an Ewan & Charlie unlimited budget? If the resolution involved multiple overnight trips and $1000+ practically speaking would just limp along with the pain. So for you riders with lifetime of experience, how would you go about working toward resolution?

Thanks & appreciate any words of wisdom
Try a Corbin. You will have to break it in, but it will be worth the time. Stock seat is totally unacceptable!

·
Registered
2020 ATAS ES DCT and a few more
342 Posts
I have my opinions on aftermarket seats, but before you go down that road, might I suggest a purple everywhere?

I know it is kinda silly, but throw a purple everywhere cushion on your stock seat and see what you think. Way better than an airhawk in my opinion and very cheap. It angles down so you can swap it to get you crotch out of the tank. Combined with a sheepskin it made even my KTM comfy. Best part is you can move it around and change it up every couple hundred miles.

I bought it because I have sensitive skin and vibes+long distance equal a killer diaper rash. This really helped me out...

Worst case scenario if you don't like it on the bike you can throw it on your office chair or car chair for some extra cush. :)
Just for the heck of it, I bought one of the purple everywhere 36 recommended. I've used an Airhhawk and similar on other bikes with mixed success and thought I'd try something different. It just showed up yesterday and stil recovery from a bad illness, so tried it at home on a chair that I use for working from home. Honestly I didn't like it at first but after the first hour of using it or so, I'm liking it more and more.

First bike I'll try it on is my KTM as I hate its seat the most. I could see how with a sheepskin it might be pretty decent but would add some height. The crappy little cover it comes with likely won't last long on a bike our outside but good enough to test the concept and cover it with something else if it works out. So thanks for the suggestion 36. I might be on the big side for it but it definitely shows some promise. The prostate relief channels is definitely noticeable for me.

·
Registered
342 Posts
More than most seats, Corbins clearly take some time to break in. On my S1000XR, I hated it for almost 1000 miles. Now 7 years and 23k more miles, I still love it on that bike. I do find I like Sargent almost as much as Corbin, and we seem to adapt to each other more quickly.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My 2018 ATAS seat is very comfortable for me. If on a long ride, I try to stand up for a few minutes whenever I can. The ATAS was made for standing up, so easy to ride. Anything under 60 mph and I will stand with no worries.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Had a Corbin on a DR650. I was startled to find it hard as a board, almost. Also surprised that it really was pretty comfortable. Didn't have the bike long enough to break it in more, though, once I saw that candy-apple red AT in the showeoom,,,

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

Bought a rubber "honeycomb" pad, looks to be similar construction to the "purple", $19 - rode forty miles ok... still some discomfort but much improved... obviously this arrangement can't go into the future, not a secure seat, can't stand up, etc - just a trial run but noticeable improvement...

·
Registered
342 Posts
You could use velcro lashing straps. The actual purple one has little handles you could easily tie onto on each side to secure by running a cord/strap under the seat.

I have now be sitting on my purple pad for almost 2 days straight, 12 hours a day working from home. I am very impressed and it is sitting on top of a hard wood chair. I am really appreciating the prostate gap more and more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
@Wavshrdr glad the purple anywhere pad helped you! It sure helped me.

I'll throw into the conversation that I have a Corbin on my Roadliner. It is a very hard seat; after buying it I had to call them up and ask about it and they said it supposedly breaks in after 2000 miles. Truth is, the seat doesn't break in, your butt does, and mine took about 4000 miles. The thing is...I have to say it is DEFINITELY comfortable now for me. I love it mine. It's like putting on a fesh pair of jeans after a wash or slipping into your cowboy boots in the morning. I'm not going Corbin for the AT though...the style is all wrong.

I have a Seat Concepts on my KTM and it turned the bike from unrideable after 1 hour to all day OK for me; except for the vibes which the Purple Anywhere seat cushion fixed.

I'll probably do a Seat Concepts for the AT just to get another 1" higher because I feel the footpegs are too darn high for me at 6'2" with a 37" inseam. But the Purple Anywhere seat cushion totally works for me otherwise. I just finished a long Sunday ride with it and was very comfy the whole time.

Peace

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Last ride tried to consciously sit more forward, couple inches from tank into lowest portion of seat, thinking might help reduce pain from "forward slip" - did seem to help.

Question - anybody thought about or tried to attach the seat into lowest position on rear and somehow get into the higher attachment notch at the front? What simple mod might make that possible?

If possible would that tend to mildly level out seat, reduce forward tilt?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Here is a picture of my Sargent seat with the Sit & Fly 3D mesh seatcover on it. This is a great combination that works especially well in warm to hot conditions. In really cold conditions the 3D mesh will allow cold air to circulate around your posterior which may be an issue if you are not wearing enough insulation. I have not found this to be a big problem however.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Here is a picture of my Sargent seat with the Sit & Fly 3D mesh seatcover on it. This is a great combination that works especially well in warm to hot conditions. In really cold conditions the 3D mesh will allow cold air to circulate around your posterior which may be an issue if you are not wearing enough insulation. I have not found this to be a big problem however.
View attachment 61631
What size sit n fly did you use for the front portion of the seat?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I bought a size Large. These are very stretchy and mold to just about any contour seat. I used cable/wire ties to pull it tight on the underside of the seat.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought a size Large. These are very stretchy and mold to just about any contour seat. I used cable/wire ties to pull it tight on the underside of the seat.
I have one of the Sit and Fly covers not yet applied.
If you ever get a pic or 2 of the way you fastened underneath....
....I'd be hugely interested in seeing your method...!!!
Had one on a Tenere....yes they are a good application.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Moto-Skiveez definitely helped... thanks for the suggestion Chris Whte

Moto-Skiveez results in definite improvement - thanks Chris for suggestion
I went to order a pair and the cost with shipping to Canada is ridiculous. Going to contact a few local shops and see if they can bring them in at a reasonable price. The 1100 AS seat is great, and perfect off road, but after a week or more of long days, any seat will become a cruel joke. Hoping these can help.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Last ride tried to consciously sit more forward, couple inches from tank into lowest portion of seat, thinking might help reduce pain from "forward slip" - did seem to help.

Question - anybody thought about or tried to attach the seat into lowest position on rear and somehow get into the higher attachment notch at the front? What simple mod might make that possible?

If possible would that tend to mildly level out seat, reduce forward tilt?
Yes, I tried but couldn’t get the seat to cooperate...wondering about getting more forceful with it.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts