Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I've just done 1009 km with my Rally Red AT (manual transm). The "select" buttom on the left handlebar gets stuck from time to time. It stays in, doesn't return anymore. I already tried some silicone spray, without succes. Anyone else?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, mine did the same, and soon became solid, didn't move at all.
After visit to dealer and lots of spray, it's been ok ever since.
A couple of others two on different AT forum.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Seems it is water ingress. But if you have DCT see S4MST3R's tale of woe that he recently posted on this forum.

Don't ride your adventure bike in the rain chaps - you didn't expect to be able to do that did you?!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm stupified reading these issues on the gearswitch of the DCT. Happy I have the manual version once more. Nevertheless, there is some homework to do for Honda...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Apologies for my assumption. If it isn't water or condensation then the problem is perhaps just dodgy production switchgear.

Mind you, the dealer might have washed it!

·
Registered
71 Posts
mine gets wet in the rain and hosed down every ride and a thorough wash every week.

the left hand switch gear on my manual version is not vitally important like on the DCT model.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Checked mine today after reading about the issues that others have reported , i dont use the select button normally , glad i did it stays pressed in after i push it , needs pulling out to release it so yes i have the issue too .

·
Registered
159 Posts
In the mean time, my problem is -probably for now - solved, due to some silicone spray
Excuse my ignorance, but what does silicone spray do to the switchgear? It's not really a water repellent nor will it stop water from running in.
You spray the internals to create a layer of protection from sticking?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but what does silicone spray do to the switchgear? It's not really a water repellent nor will it stop water from running in.
Just use ACF50 end of!:|

·
Registered
288 Posts
Needless to say I will be checking the switches when I collect my DCT model tomorrow, bit of a worry to be honest reading all this.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a manual gearbox, so to me it was only the "set" buttom that got stuck. It is a doubtfull construction of the plastic stuff which gives too much friction when there is some water or dirt run in. The silicone spray lubricates the plastics. Much better than WD40 or Castrol DWF as, these products have a lot of solvents. They lubricate only a very short period, and afterwards the plastic parts become even more sticky. That's why a silicone-based lubricant is more apropriate to my opinion. Works fine !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts