Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a Sena 10U bluetooth headset that is supposedly Arai helmet specific fitting.

Has anyone got any experience of this Sena Unit?
I have a couple of questions:

1. The Sena info states that the 10U fits " Arai full face helmets" but is no more specific than that.
Has anyone successfully fitted one into an Arai Tour X4 and was it an easy install?

2. There are mentions in reviews of the Sena 10U that the volume of the headset is too low.
However, I'm sure I read somewhere that downloading the Sena App to your phone allows a certain amount of 'tailoring' the sound ? Can the general volume be increased via this App?

Thanks in advance Paul.

·
Registered
CRF1100L DCT
290 Posts
I have helmets with Sena 2x 10u in Arai Chasers and a Shoei Neotec 2, never had an issue with volume even with earplugs, there is plenty of tailoring on the app.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've had a 10U in a Shoei Neotec 1 from whenever they came out with them. I assume the basic unit is the same, just fitted to the Arai. All the functions work fine, but the volume isn't great. If you don't have a lot of air past your ears, it's OK. I have used the phone function and the other party didn't realize I was on the bike, however. I now have a completely sealed Schuberth C3 Pro that I wish I could transfer the 10U to so I could see how it compares.

·
Registered
CRF1100L DCT
290 Posts
I've had a 10U in a Shoei Neotec 1 from whenever they came out with them. I assume the basic unit is the same, just fitted to the Arai. All the functions work fine, but the volume isn't great. If you don't have a lot of air past your ears, it's OK. I have used the phone function and the other party didn't realize I was on the bike, however. I now have a completely sealed Schuberth C3 Pro that I wish I could transfer the 10U to so I could see how it compares.
The Neotec 2 had a specific system for it and is better intergration

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have helmets with Sena 2x 10u in Arai Chasers

Thanks for that info, how was the instal on the Arai? I can't find any Arai specific installation guides on YouTube
or photographs of the unit actually in an Arai.

·
Registered
CRF1100L DCT
290 Posts
Thanks for that info, how was the instal on the Arai? I can't find any Arai specific installation guides on YouTube

or photographs of the unit actually in an Arai.
My Arai dealer fitted them took 15 minutes, this is how it looks on a Chaser, charge unit sits in the back.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Have it fitted to my Tour X4 , no problems.
PTwin and WTF; Thanks for that, the reason I ask these questions is that Sena don't seem to know whether their Arai specific unit fits an Arai Tour X. See their reply below...

": Many full faces, flip-ups, and modular style helmets are compatible with 10U Arai, However, we haven`t tested this Tour X4 helmet so far and we do not have any record on our system yet.
(04:49:09 PM) Yobonne: The next best option is to visit a local dealer to verify if the helmet is compatible with 10U Arai, please bring the helmet with you so you can try to fit it in to see how it looks, feels, and fits. Check the nearest authorized dealer on your location, by clicking the link below. http://www.sena.com/store-locator/"

When I contacted my incredulous local, dealer he said " No Idea, I'll ask Sena". :surprise:

·
Registered
CRF1100L DCT
290 Posts
PTwin and WTF; Thanks for that, the reason I ask these questions is that Sena don't seem to know whether their Arai specific unit fits an Arai Tour X. See their reply below...

": Many full faces, flip-ups, and modular style helmets are compatible with 10U Arai, However, we haven`t tested this Tour X4 helmet so far and we do not have any record on our system yet.
(04:49:09 PM) Yobonne: The next best option is to visit a local dealer to verify if the helmet is compatible with 10U Arai, please bring the helmet with you so you can try to fit it in to see how it looks, feels, and fits. Check the nearest authorized dealer on your location, by clicking the link below. http://www.sena.com/store-locator/"

When I contacted my incredulous local, dealer he said " No Idea, I'll ask Sena". :surprise:
Give Bike Stop Stevenage a shout, 5 star Arai dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have it in my tour x4 no problems with fitting and no issues with volume.
It can be finicky connecting to my tomtom 550 and iPhone X to display calls on the tomtom but it’s just a case of what you connect in what order and remembering to have the MyDrive app open. I use mine for work purposes and it’s never let me down, charge seems to last and additional remote control is very handy.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just about to fit the sena to my tour x4, would appreciated any tips for fitting, or is it straight forward. Cheers

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Santa has wrapped both the Sena 10u and the Tour X4 so I won't get to play with either of them until Christmas.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’m also about to fit the 10U to a Tour X4, don’t see how you fit it with the plastic hoops, and without them, it will just fall out! Anybody that fitted it, how did you fit these hoops?
Under the lining is a plastic snap to hold it together and it loops over that.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Under the lining is a plastic snap to hold it together and it loops over that.
I've got my 'Sena 10U for Arai' and my Arai Tour X4 and I'm baffled.
Neither Sena nor Arai have anything to help online.

WTF or Seabeast, could you, or anyone else with a Tour X4/Sena 10U please take a few pictures showing exactly where and how the unit fits. Sena say remove the outer 'neck roll' but it's so tight that I'm afraid if I pull any harder I'll break something.

I've offered up the unit so that the 2 loops fit under the plastic snap studs of the inner liner but the unit looks like it will sit too far forward and dig into the back of your neck?

With a brand new £570 helmet you don't want to [email protected] anything up.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Most Arai interiors unclip quite easily, this might help

https://youtu.be/CcBw-fDvUsU

Yes I've seen that one thanks. The outer neck roll on that Arai came out very easily.

The construction of the Tour X looks quite different.
The neck roll on my Tour X won't budge. I don't have a problem removing the inner liner.
Also the inner liner padding on the helmet in the video looks much thicker than the Tour X consequently setting the unit further away from the back of your neck.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The problem I have with most Sena devices is that they are weather-resistant and not waterproof. Which is kind of ridiculous when you think of how they are to be used. I just reviewed my Cardo Freecom 2+ here:
https://youtu.be/ACF2-Oh5vRE

I initially received a faulty unit, but once they replaced it, its a pretty awesome kit for the price. And though the Sena is slimmer on the side, they just redistribute the rest of the system on the helmet...which ultimately leads to not much of a gain in terms of volume or weight.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts