Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All round one side of my Continental Attack2 there are splits and a very unusual wear pattern. It’s done 4K miles. The rear doesn’t have the splits but I’m only going to get half the mileage I got out of the Oem
I will try to post a pic but may have to update it tomorrow as I only have my phone with me
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wow...thats weird.....i have conti 2s on and aint got no splitting like that?.....cant be the temperature up in durham thats for sure?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had similar on my Tiger 800 with Michelin Pilot Trail 4's, most people put it down to the tyre overheating, whether inner tubes don't help i'm not sure

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tyre guy at the Honda dealership said it just looked like a tyre at the end of its working life to him. I guess I have to accept that but since I've only had half the life compared to the OEM Dunlop, I'm not happy. And I can't say they have given me more confidence than the standard tyres - they have definitely given me a few 'moments'
Mike

·
Registered
800 Posts
Looks like you’ve been running it under-inflated and the tyre has been getting a tad hot. This would also contribute to your ‘moments’ if that is the case. Mine have been perfect, show no signs of cracking and are still going strong with over 6k miles on them. I wouldn’t compare them to the Dunlop’s in the same breath.

Why not contact Continental themselves and point out your concerns and that it’s only one side of the tyre that has cracked ? It is very possible that you could have been unlucky to buy a duff tyre.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I used to run Road Attacks (and other brands) on my TL's, the fronts used to cup,......... I picked up a set of Trail Attacks this week, they are the same as years ago, front made in Korea, rear made in Germany.
Relevant, perhaps not but odd for a supposed German tyre / tire.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Looks like you’ve been running it under-inflated and the tyre has been getting a tad hot. This would also contribute to your ‘moments’ if that is the case. Mine have been perfect, show no signs of cracking and are still going strong with over 6k miles on them. I wouldn’t compare them to the Dunlop’s in the same breath.

Why not contact Continental themselves and point out your concerns and that it’s only one side of the tyre that has cracked ? It is very possible that you could have been unlucky to buy a duff tyre.
Ditto here, they lasted a long time, about 14000 km for the front. Back still had quite a bit more to go but I changed them out together.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Joined this forum for the exact same thing.
My front tyre has done the same after 8k.
Did continental offer any suggestions?
No I never took it any further - the dealer who I trust says it looked like normal wear, but agreed it shouldn;t have happened at just over 4k miles on mine.
Mike

·
Registered
38 Posts
Standard on the Conti TA2's.

I ride with a few KTM boys. TA2's are factory fitted tyres on some of the models- its a known fault.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I cannot see how splitting to the tread can be accepted as ‘standard’ on any tyre with a mile of tread left on it. I have none of these issues on my tyres but would be going straight to Continental if they did do that. Has anyone taken the trouble to raise it as an issue. Surely not of merchantable quality comes to mind.

·
Registered
133 Posts
500lb+ bike, rider and passenger, luggage, riding gear another 400lb+. All on a 90/90 tyre put through constant heat cycles, road surface temps of 40degrees +, countless different types of debris, equals a very tough life and yet they still bring us home, shiny side up, despite the abuse we hand out every ride.
A few imperfections have to be expected I would have thought.

Pete.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts