Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine is idelling at 1800 RMP. Does anyone know the electronic routine of pushing the buttons to reset the idle speed. Owners manual says the correct idle speed should be 1200 RMP. I do not have shop manual, so I do not know how to reset.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Normally the ECU settings with a Honda in general are resetted by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, so you can give it a try as a start.

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Have you tried to reduce your throttle free-play and possible adjusted it too far? Possible pulled a vacuum hose loose and have an intake leak?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was off out today on my AT and I gave some thought to OCR's question. When cold the motor does idle at 1800rpm, but eventually when fully heated it settles at about 14/1500 rpm. I am aware that OCR currently cannot ride so perhaps He should let the bike idle for a little longer to see if it settles ? I am also aware that he is suffering from extreme frustration at temporarily not being able to get out on his bike. He has my deepest sympathy........

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know if the Africa Twin DCT ideal is set like some other Honda DCT bikes the adjustment is automatic, and controlled by the ECU. This is set at the factory, and there are steps to follow if the ideal adjustment is not correct. I know the owner's manual states the ideal should be 1200 RPM. After complete warm up my AT ideals at 1800 RPM. IF I owned a shop manual, I am sure the procedure is listed some where in the shop manual. Life was easier when we just had ideal adjustment screws.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Old...I should have a shop manual arriving today. As soon as I get it I will look to see if I can find the idle reset procedure for you. Standby.....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Old....I've got good news and bad news.....
The good news is that my Service Manual arrived as promised
There bad news is that is says there is no way to adjust the idea speed. The attached photo shows the entire section on idle speed. The other two areas mentioned as potential issues (IACV operation or Intake Air leak) are probably outside the bounds of what we can correct via this forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, the bike is under warranty. So, once I can ride again in a few months I will have to take to a dealership.

·
Registered
208 Posts
There is one other possible thing You could try. That is the ECU reset procedure. I think it is a 12 minute running of the bike from cold without touching the throttle or any controls. Perhaps follow up on that though with a search, as some procedures require the time to be set from the first running of the fan, so I am not sure about this.

I note also that the instructions on the manual suggest connecting a tachometer. That suggests to me that the bike's tacho is possibly not considered to be accurate enough. Accordingly does the bike sound like it is actually running as quick as 1800rpm ? As such could the tacho be giving an incorrect reading ?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bike sounds like it is running at 1800 RPM.

I noticed it the first time I set on the bike. I knew I only had a couble of riding days left when I drove the 300 miles to pickup the bike from the dealer. I thought it would be a simple ideal adjustment once I got the bike home.

After a few days of looking for a ideal adjusting screw, I came to the conclusion that it just was not on the bike. However, I only had a few days left to ride. So,I did RIDE...

The bike has been just sitting in the drive for almost a month how. I am now to the point that with the aid of a walker I can start the bike. However, still a few months from riding.

I was hoping the fix was a simple reprograming of the computer. However, TMac99 has a shop manual, and reprograming does not look like the fix. Looks like I will be ordering a shop manual so as I can figure this little problem out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys, i had a problem wwith my atas , setting up at first gear in D mode ( orr any mode ) , the bike just keep going and i had to apply the brake to stop. Rpm around 2000, what seems to be the problem here and solutions if any. Thks

·
Super Moderator
3,470 Posts
Welcome [back] to the Forum T25.

Haven't seen this yet - and hopefully won't.

To help the Forum, what is your AT year/model?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome [back] to the Forum T25.

Haven't seen this yet - and hopefully won't.

To help the Forum, what is your AT year/model?
thks for the welcome :)Have been in this forum for almost 3 years , read lots of topic but this is my first comment ever ( sry for that)
My AT is adventure sport , 2018 and its an 30Years anniversary.
I had the bike checked today at the workshop. Done some cleanning but nothing change. Rpm around 1400, the bike wont stop moving at 1 gear without any throtle input, had to apllied some brake though. Quite weird.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts