Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

My name is Mat, i am a kiwi living in Australia, (i asked admin to change my username to Kiwimat)
I have a friend coming from Canada next year to ride around australia and after much discussion we decided to buy a Honda Africa Twin to do the mission. I have done a few searches regarding accessories and regular questions and have ended up here a few times so i though i should do the right thing and join rather than become a lurker (not that there is anything wrong with that), plus i wanted to thank you guys for the information and guidence i have already recieved from the forum...CHEERS!.
My mate arrives end of February, bike has 4km on it, my elbow (surgery) will be good to ride in the new year.
The plan is for me to do the first 1000km on the bike to get the initial service done and run in the motor and scuff up the tyres a bit.
We didnt like the idea of tubed tyres going bad in the middle of australia, so we got some Alpina Tubless rims and i put Pirelli Scorpion Trails on them.
Were not keen on the Honda panniers that open out rather than from the top, plus the build quality didnt seem to be fantastic, so we have SW Motech Trax Evo side panniers and topbox to go on.
I ride a BMW K1300R and have a BMW Navigator V, so im going to get the Garmin mount for the Nav V and set that up on the Honda for his ride around Australia. Might run some power outlets (Cig and USB) to the front while im pissing around with the Nav power.
And thats about where we are at for now.
Pictures of Honda, Panniers in Box, and of course my BMW below.
I must make a mention and thanks to Scott, Dan and the guys down at Bikebiz Granville who really looked after me through the entire process including getting the rims imported and fitting them. It has been a great experience with this dealership, right down to the delivery of the bike to my house. Cheers.

Cheers
Mat

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
still working out pics...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi Matt best of luck.were the alpino rims exspensive and where do u get them from.seem like a great idea.black spokes look good.are they better quality than the Honda rims?what do u think of your panniers set.will u add some pics with them on.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Matt best of luck.were the alpino rims exspensive and where do u get them from.seem like a great idea.black spokes look good.are they better quality than the Honda rims?what do u think of your panniers set.will u add some pics with them on.
Hey rockies, rims were $2850 australian dollars, straight off the website from Italy. They are very nice and well made, I can't really rate them against the stock rims, the primary reason for getting them was because they are tubeless.
Panniers are still in boxes, will fit them after the 1000km run in.

Cheers
Kiwimat

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good on ya mate ! In August 2018 is the OCR (off center rally) google it, would be good to see you there, Im prepping now for it. im sure you will be looking out for all the rallys.

Good Luck.

(Monarchs MC)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Great work Matt,

All the best on your AD around ouround Australia. Keep sending the pics.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hey Martin!
I was just talking about your bike, not long now mate!
Not sure where you will be riding but (not sure on the BMW is that a 25L tank) but you both need radiator guards and some way of carrying a lot more gas. If you are doing a lap you need to pre plan tire changes and have at least another 10L of fuel each even on the highway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure where you will be riding but (not sure on the BMW is that a 25L tank) but you both need radiator guards and some way of carrying a lot more gas. If you are doing a lap you need to pre plan tire changes and have at least another 10L of fuel each even on the highway.
Hi Skip ,
I'm the one who's gonna do the lap of OZ on the Africa Twin .
So , you're saying I should be carrying fuel containers to be sure I won't run out of gas in the middle of nowhere ???

The tire changes , and the periodical services are already planned , or working on it .
And why a radiator guard , as I will be mostly on pavement ?

Thanks
Martin

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi Skip ,
I'm the one who's gonna do the lap of OZ on the Africa Twin .
So , you're saying I should be carrying fuel containers to be sure I won't run out of gas in the middle of nowhere ???

The tire changes , and the periodical services are already planned , or working on it .
And why a radiator guard , as I will be mostly on pavement ?

Thanks
Martin
Hi Martin, I'm with SkipD on the radiator guards here.
Picture this, vehicles (BIG trucks) coming towards you even on paved roads kicking up any loose stones and you heading straight into their path at 100+k/h. Now stand at the front of your bike and have a look at your exposed thin metaled OEM non protected radiators.
For one, I certainly would not be brave enough to take a chance of doing this trip without guards.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Martin, I'm with SkipD on the radiator guards here.
Picture this, vehicles (BIG trucks) coming towards you even on paved roads kicking up any loose stones and you heading straight into their path at 100+k/h. Now stand at the front of your bike and have a look at your exposed thin metaled OEM non protected radiators.
For one, I certainly would not be brave enough to take a chance of doing this trip without guards.
Thanks for the reply Mr Burger !
I'll look into it .
And what about gas ? Better to carry extra fuel ?

Martin

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thanks for the reply Mr Burger !
I'll look into it .
And what about gas ? Better to carry extra fuel ?

Martin
Hi Martin, I haven't done an Outback run myself, but from what I've been told (and depending which route you take) fuel stations can be some 400~600kl apart. We know that the AT in extreme cases on a full tank can be capable of up to 450kl. Like I said (depending which route you take) I think extra fuel would be a good Idea :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did a bit more on Martin's bike this afternoon while the 4 year old was sleeping, panniers look really good mate!! I will go over all the screws on the inside with silicone to make sure no water can get in, as we discussed, the top box had a very small (5-10 drops) amount of water get in after 160km of riding in storms, so that's tested that out well!, i will cover the same places in the other 2 boxes.
All securing bolts have been coated with a dab of medium strength locktight, and tightened up to specific Nm with torque wrench. This SW-Motech gear is very very nicely made!
I spoke to Jonathon at rugged roads and sorted the radiator guards and headlight protector, turned out paypal hadn't paid them, and I never checked, so my bad, but the gear is on its way, and Jonathon and Annette are great to deal with!
Martin arrives in Sydney in 5 days , we leave in a week.

Crash bars are on.

Reactions: Martin_D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BMW Nav V all set up and hardwired in too

Reactions: Martin_D
1 - 20 of 35 Posts