Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming back from three days in North Wales I pulled into a filling station to fill up before the M54.
Brimmed it with V-Power as the regular nozzle at the pump wasn't working.
Since owning the bike and doing around 9000mls in the last 12 months I've only ever used 95 octane fuel and the performance and economy has been brilliant.
Sitting at motorway speeds for a little over 120 mls, apart from the dawdle on the M6 Birmingham stretch, I managed to get down to 31.4 mpg and used a tankful in that distance. Bike was a bit less responsive and a little vibey.
Back to a tankful of 95 and the bike feels right again and at times doing 60+mpg.
Won't make the same mistake again.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Coming back from three days in North Wales I pulled into a filling station to fill up before the M54.
Brimmed it with V-Power as the regular nozzle at the pump wasn't working.
Since owning the bike and doing around 9000mls in the last 12 months I've only ever used 95 octane fuel and the performance and economy has been brilliant.
Sitting at motorway speeds for a little over 120 mls, apart from the dawdle on the M6 Birmingham stretch, I managed to get down to 31.4 mpg and used a tankful in that distance. Bike was a bit less responsive and a little vibey.
Back to a tankful of 95 and the bike feels right again and at times doing 60+mpg.
Won't make the same mistake again.
I only run non ethanol in my DR. Carbs don't like corn gas. I also only run non ethanol in the Harley, along with my trucks (carbureted) also. Its only 87 octane but for 13 yrs the Harley never had any problems, not even a hiccup. Corn belongs on the table, not in our gas. Just my opinion.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
Forgot to say the Harley is an 06 Heritage Softail EFI I bought new. It loves the 87 octane no corn gas.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ethanol or more correctly Ethyl Alcohol, which is just another name for drinking Alcohol belongs in a decent single malt whiskey. but its perfectly fine in petrol too. Its at the same level in V-Power as it is in standard unleaded. The UK specification means it must be less than 5% so in a litre thats not much at all. definitely not enough to negatively affect a bike thats been designed to run on E10. or 10% Alcohol. (Ethyl-Alcohol)

When skimmer mentions V-Power in UK petrol I imagine he means the higher octane fuel, which is pretty pointless to use in these bikes. The owners manual says 91 RON or higher. so 95 for me. V-Power is 97 I believe and has a more expensive additive package. (anti-friction agents and Injector cleaners/detergents)

Ive used it and cant say i noticed any gains or losses.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ethanol or more correctly Ethyl Alcohol, which is just another name for drinking Alcohol belongs in a decent single malt whiskey. but its perfectly fine in petrol too. Its at the same level in V-Power as it is in standard unleaded. The UK specification means it must be less than 5% so in a litre thats not much at all. definitely not enough to negatively affect a bike thats been designed to run on E10. or 10% Alcohol. (Ethyl-Alcohol)

When skimmer mentions V-Power in UK petrol I imagine he means the higher octane fuel, which is pretty pointless to use in these bikes. The owners manual says 91 RON or higher. so 95 for me. V-Power is 97 I believe and has a more expensive additive package. (anti-friction agents and Injector cleaners/detergents)

Ive used it and cant say i noticed any gains or losses.
It's the slower burn as the octane rises that's wasted on low compression motors, the AT certainly falls in that category.
Really busy forecourt and last before motorway so thought 97 would hardly make any difference, surprised how much difference I could feel.
Bike remapped, full Arrow Ti system and no cat, really made it sluggish and greedy for fuel.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I thought this was the Suzuki DR650 Forum I belong to ....lol. I know today's vehicles without carbs are made a little differently, the rubber parts, o-rings etc....are made to withstand the Ethyl Alcohol a little better. But I run non ethanol in my AT also. I've only had it for lil over a week and have not noticed any difference in performance. My average miles per gallon has been a constant 48-50.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It's the slower burn as the octane rises that's wasted on low compression motors, the AT certainly falls in that category.
Exactly. I have an older Street Triple that absolutely loves V-power: it makes the motor less vibey and gives significantly better fuel consumption (although that's probably offset by the higher cost). But in a low-stress engine like the AT it's a waste of money.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Would you not say that the cleaning additives in the V-power would be a welcomed benefit to keep are "Pride and Joy" AT's clean on the inside as well!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Got my answer. I guess gas is like oil, a personal choice. I don't run ethanol in anything. Screenshot_2019-07-01-20-29-28~01.jpeg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Totally stock ATAS here, have tried V-Power for the last couple of tanks and can't notice any difference at all. In response to Trawleysteve's point about it keeping the motor cleaner, I would expect as long as you're riding it hard on occasion that won't be an issue anyway ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts