Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sticky shifter and loose chain issues.

I thought I’d combine my shifting issues that went across a few threads into this update.

I've been riding and testing for over a week now and after adjusting my chain slack (during break-in period it slipped out to ~63 mm), my problems with rough shifting have gone away. It’s not quite as smooth as a cruiser but it’s much nicer now. I can take a bit more time between gears without any of that back and forth I used to get. Shifting is effortless now with the chain slack at between 46mm and 50mm (depending on how much light force I apply in either direction). I can shift more casually now without any problems—don’t have to rev it or work fast for a good graceful shift.

And adjusting my shifter up about 1 in. has resolved my intermittent issues with half-shifts. It works like a charm and is very comfortable. I can get my (size 13) boot in and out more easily and shifting is flawless—not one single half-shift in over a week and many miles; used to happen at least once each time I was out.

So, I don’t think I have any Low Speed Fueling Issues (another thread). There is some jerkiness in 1st and 2nd but only with clutch out and no throttle, but even then, it’s often not too bad… just a bit of a laggy and short tottering broom-broom, broom-broom. On a level surface or a slight descent, it’s often fine, idling along at around 8 Mph in 1st or 12 Mph in 2nd. (I’ve been doing a lot of slow speed turning practice in empty parking lots).
But adding just a touch of throttle fixes any of the herky-jerky stuff. The bike just seems to *always* want a bit of throttle and it’s not much for idling or coasting.
In third, I can run along at 20 Mph fairly smoothly with just a tad of throttle. Let off the throttle to idling, and she’ll start doing that light, laggy herky-jerky, even with decent momentum on level ground. But add just a bit of throttle, with RPMs anywhere from 1800 to 2k and she’ll flow along at 20 Mph.

I can’t say I have any low speed fueling issues, per se, but I do wish the bike would idle along more easily and that the throttle wasn’t so super sensitive down low. But I've said it before, I have to remember I bought an Adventure bike, not a cruiser.

Just thought I’d share, Gary

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm SSSSSOOOO curious to SEE what this whole "jerkiness"/"Low Speed Fueling" is all about. Someone please PLEASE post a vid because for the life of me I didn't feel any jerkiness of throttling issue. Maybe I did, and just don't know any better. Perhaps all those years racing and crashing have numbed my sensory unit.

I'm not trying to sound like I'm better thank you all...no...I sincerely want to know if all these problems "helmet buffeting, jerkiness, low fueling, etc." issues are ACTUALLY happening to me but I'm just oblivious to it.

·
Registered
CRF1000L | Gold Wing DCT
294 Posts
Same here. My AT is over 10k miles now. It's been over 13k foot elevation in the Rockies, and around several states in the southeast. I've not experienced any of these internet concerns others have posted about. I've also not gone looking for them--just rode it. I can tell you the motor has become very enjoyable with these miles. It's nothing like the pulling torque of my previous Concours 14, but for a 95hp twin, it's pretty nice. ALso, the 270 degree crank gives it an awesome sound--even with the stock muffler.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, thankfully, most of my problems have gone away after getting the chain slack in spec and the shifter where I need it. I should have checked it sooner.
Because I've been away from riding so long, I'm comparing it to the 650cc – 750cc bikes I rode in the early 80s (pretty big bikes for their time). I do find the throttle a bit sensitive at very low RPMs and my bike does always seem to want a little throttle. Let off the throttle at speed and she’s slowing down fast (the Engine Breaking, no matter what setting I'm on) and let off the throttle at slower speeds/ lower gears, and she’s looking for attention a little before I’d expect it. She doesn’t seem to want to coast much—the way I remember my older bikes would. But I'm getting used to it.

But you're probably right in assuming there’s some fussiness at play here, with me anyway. But don’t get me wrong, I *love* this bike. In fact, now with the chain and shifter sorted, she rides beautifully. The bike has all the power I could want and more. Not to mention I think the ATAS is the best-looking Adventure bike out there, one bad-ạss looking bike. And, yes, that sound! I can live with the throttled-coasting.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Took my 2017 DCT through Colorado this summer. No off-road. The normal engine braking saved a lot of brake wear on those long high-speed downhills off the passes... 8^)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts