Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: I have the non DCT version and wondering if it is ok to shift from 1st to 2nd without using the clutch?

Thoughts, comments, concerns?

Britt

·
Registered
20 Posts
Question: I have the non DCT version and wondering if it is ok to shift from 1st to 2nd without using the clutch?

Thoughts, comments, concerns?

Britt
Dear Britt, we are already experiencing enough troubles in shifting 1 to 2 and 5 to 6 by using the clutch, why should we do this?:frown2:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have to be honest, sometimes when the traction control is switched off, I'm power wheelieing in 1ste gear and then I flick it in 2nd whithout the clutch.
That way I can keep wheelieing, controlling it with the rear brake.

Is using the clutch better? Probably... But for the sake of fun, I think it's occasionally ok.

The mechanic in me however is yelling NOOO!

·
Registered
329 Posts
A lot of road riders never use the clutch when shifting up; it's supposedly okay because it's a dog-box... as long as you can shift at a rev-matching speed.\

It takes some practice!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi African-B,

It's OK to change one gear at a time up or down, just get the revs matched, the change should be smooth, be prepared with the clutch if it looks like not working smoothly.

M

·
Registered
24 Posts
In big rig truck driving this is called "floating gears." There are thousands of truckers out there who have driven decades and millions of miles without using the clutch except when starting from a dead start. Big diesel engines are easy to shift this way because the RPM's drop so slowly when the throttle is relaxed do to a big mass giving a greater flywheel effect.

With the AT, I would try and practice shifting by using a half clutch squeeze, this will then lower the load on the gears but will not be a full "shifting without the clutch." Using a half clutch and trying, with the throttle, to match the engine RPMs with the trans RPMs will give smoother shifts. My take on it...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Personal viewpoint on this. A subject of great debate over the years :)

I have always used clutchless upshifts on motorbikes, regardless of make & model. Never caused any known problem

As long as you are on the power and accelerating, applying gentle upward pressure to the gear selector and then momentarily snapping your right wrist a tiny amount (just enough to drop the throttle input for a fraction of a second) will result in close to a seamless upshift. It's easy, results in faster acceleration, less weight transfer between rear, front and back again (great with a pillion)........ the only time I use the clutch is when I want to short shift up the box when cruising, and pulling away of course!.......clutchless upshifts works much better when harder on the power

However, I always use the clutch going down the box (never owned a bike with a slipper clutch - apart from the DCT Africa)

Now riding DCT, but still clutchless upshift on my manual bikes

·
Registered
103 Posts
With pressure on the underside of the gear selector, the amount of movement required on the throttle is literally a millimetre or two........it's enough to allow the next cog to snick in beautifully

1 - 8 of 8 Posts