Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 DCT
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swapped the stock tires out for the Shinko's. Looking forward to seeing how much difference they make off-road.

Noticed on road that the noise is a little higher, but not to the point of being annoying.

Liked that the rear Shinko has a reflective sidewall...

Now the big decision; sell the stock tires for what they will bring or hang them in the garage for "emergency" use...

Local craigslist had a set with about the same wear go for $75 for the pair. However, if a day came that I had a destroyed tire, would I put one of these back on until I got something better? Probably...

·
Registered
975 Posts
I've used the 804/805 Shinkos - they're really good offroad in gravel and surprisingly smooth on pavement. I haven't used the 705 but it'll likely give a bit more traction than the OEM tires.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I put a set of 705s on my previous bike and would buy again. They were great all round tires for the CB500X on and off-road including gravel. When I replace the stock tires on my AT I will seriously consider this combo. The off-road training course I want to take requires at least 50/50 tires and this combo fits that bill.

If you are only going to get $75 for the old set I'd keep them as spares but that's me and it would depend on if you need the $75 more than you need a spare set of tires.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've got the 804/805 combo on my bike right now and fr the money they work really well. The 805 rear is god in gravel, rocks, not so great in mud as the lugs are not offset so you get a little side slip, and good on the road. I live north of Atlanta and do a lot of riding in the mountains and I'm able to keep up with the guys ( and pass most) that are riding the BMW 1200's with 90/10 tires.
As for the old tires, I'm keeping mine and will use them for a trip out west next year. I plan to put them on, ride out west, then switch to a more aggressive tire once there.
BTW, heading up to WI on the 13th to ride the **** and will be putting on a Bridgestone Battlax AX41 on the rear to try it out!

·
Super Moderator
6,341 Posts
I've got the 804/805 combo on my bike right now and fr the money they work really well. The 805 rear is god in gravel, rocks, not so great in mud as the lugs are not offset so you get a little side slip, and good on the road. I live north of Atlanta and do a lot of riding in the mountains and I'm able to keep up with the guys ( and pass most) that are riding the BMW 1200's with 90/10 tires.
As for the old tires, I'm keeping mine and will use them for a trip out west next year. I plan to put them on, ride out west, then switch to a more aggressive tire once there.
BTW, heading up to WI on the 13th to ride the **** and will be putting on a Bridgestone Battlax AX41 on the rear to try it out!
Cool. Look forward to your AX41 report.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Long time coming for the AX41 review but lets just say I'm not a fan.
1. Road noise - very noisy even compared to the Shinko 805
2. When slowing and turning you get quite a bit of vibration from the lug pattern, not a big deal but it kind of freaks me out every time.
3. Longevity- Right now a have about 3K on them and might get another 500 miles. Not terrible but not good either
4. Off road and gravel they preform great. But coupled with the what I feel are negatives above I wont be buying again

I just bought a set of Dunlop TrailMax Missions and will be spooning them on in a few weeks for the next assault on the Trans Wisconsin Trail

·
Registered
504 Posts
For off road & street, MotoZ adventure Tire. I’ve tried shinko, continental,Michelin ,Pirelli & Dunlop None of those tires come close to the performance of motoz adventure tires An amazing Tire . 2016 manual 62k & still running strong 💯👍

·
Super Moderator
6,341 Posts
For off road & street, MotoZ adventure Tire. I’ve tried shinko, continental,Michelin ,Pirelli & Dunlop None of those tires come close to the performance of motoz adventure tires An amazing Tire . 2016 manual 62k & still running strong 💯👍
Interesting testimony.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts