Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After riding the AT on the factory Dunlop Trailmax tires and being really disappointed with them off road and marginally satisfied with them on road, I decided to try the knobby route. After much reading about the Continental, Kenda, Mitas, Michelin, etc. I decided to try a set of the Shinko 804/805 tires. I can say with authority, these tires are great. They work very well off road and the on road grip is amazing. They are a huge improvement over the Dunlops in every respect. I will ride on this set until they're dead and buy another set. I doesn't hurt that they're inexpensive compared to the other available tires on the market as well.

I'll provide another report after a few thousand miles. Hopefully I'll still be as pleased then as I am now.

·
Registered
191 Posts
When I switched to the Shinko 700 series on my Vstrom it made the bike shake at speeds greater than 30- have you seen a change in riding smoothness?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
976 Posts
The 804/805 is truly one of the best value motorcycle tires out there. I really liked them, too.
They are not a perfect road or offroad tire but are pretty good as an all-rounder. Decent road manners and decent gravel/dirt manners - maybe a bit of lateral slip due to the blocks being in a row.
Plus, they do last quite a bit longer than some other knobbies - 7,500+ kilometres in my case.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi TesuilaSqueela. The tires are actually very smooth from slow to 100MPH. Granted they are brand new and I expect to feel the vibration of the knobbies a bit more as they age, but in my opinion they are great tires. I have a friend running them on a Suzuki SV650 he's converted to adventure duty and he rides that thing like he stole it on road and off. On road, he drags knee with them. I'm very impressed so far.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I went with the Shinko 804 / 805 combo and very happy on the dirt and silty/deep sand conditions. California freeway speeds give some head shake but not unmanageable. Not a huge fan of the freeways to begin with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts