Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Suggestions for Compression and Rebound settings on the stock shock for better hook-up on washboard / corrugated gravel?
Especially on 180 degree tight uphill severely washboard corners, at low speed under throttle the rear kicks and bucks badly trying to accelerate.
2nd gear, standard transmission, traction control off, SAG set correctly.
155lb rider - 180 with gear.

Stock settings. Tried +2 clicks compression and rebound with *NO* noticeable improvement.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'd be interested in finding a solution as well if there is one.
I just finished a 2-week ride and ran across a lot of these conditions.
The best approach for me was to upshift to 3rd ASAP and chug over the sections.
Of course mine is a DCT so I don't worry about stalling.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'd go the other way on compression damping especially at your lighter rider weight. If convenient to test again try going back 4 clicks on comp but leave the rebound where it is. Just my opinion FWIW I'm no suspension expert.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Suggestions for Compression and Rebound settings on the stock shock for better hook-up on washboard / corrugated gravel?
Especially on 180 degree tight uphill severely washboard corners, at low speed under throttle the rear kicks and bucks badly trying to accelerate.
2nd gear, standard transmission, traction control off, SAG set correctly.
155lb rider - 180 with gear.

Stock settings. Tried +2 clicks compression and rebound within noticeable improvement.
Forgive me please if I'm off piste but I'd have thought first things to look at were tyre type and pressures...

The wrong tyres and any tyre at too high a pressure on loose gravel will have, in my experience which is only 10 years off tarmac, a tendency to spit and skate over the surface.

I've had several experiences where unable to make a particular section...drop the pressures and change nothing else and then have a second attempt...clear it.

Agree with gearing comment if you can get 3rd.

IMHO the OEM tyres (Dunlop here in the UK) can be used off tarmac if the conditions are dry and the ground is firm.

I recently completed a climb on mud and granite in the Isle of Man in the dry with 20 psi front and rear...

Then...when it had rained overnight bit skies were now clear I had another go...

The bike wouldn't go anywhere near the climb....

So for me...tyres and pressures make a huge difference and I'd think about those at least equal with any suspension queries, and for me, ahead of them.

Regards

Stuart

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Forgive me please if I'm off piste but I'd have thought first things to look at were tyre type and pressures...

The wrong tyres and any tyre at too high a pressure on loose gravel will have, in my experience which is only 10 years off tarmac, a tendency to spit and skate over the surface.

I've had several experiences where unable to make a particular section...drop the pressures and change nothing else and then have a second attempt...clear it.

IMHO the OEM tyres (Dunlop here in the UK) can be used off tarmac if the conditions are dry and the ground is firm.

I recently completed a climb on mud and granite in the Isle of Man in the dry with 20 psi front and rear...

Then...when it had rained overnight bit skies were now clear I had another go...

So for me...tyres and pressures make a huge difference and I'd think about those at least equal with any suspension queries, and for me, ahead of them.

Regards

Stuart
Not off piste. If I do that road again I'll be dropping pressures.

On this ride it was 50% pavement and 50% gravel so I left pressures at 28psi front and 32psi rear. The gravel a mix of pavement smooth to freshly graded marbles to dry hard pack base with loose washboard corners.

Some of the uphill 180degree switchbacks were so tight I was feathering the clutch in 2nd gear, 3rd was impossible. Trying to gain speed coming out of the corner on the washboard was where the rear had little control and hard to hook up. Basically standing with bike pitched into the turn, ass out, weight forward and on outside peg riding the slide on a bucking bike.

Tires are:
- TKC80 front (it's a very soft tire). If i'm on gravel all day I'll drop the pressure to 25psi as I've tweaked the rim running 20psi. It tracked well in all conditions.
- Mitas E-10 Dakar rear. It definitely handles gravel and mud better at 25psi.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Regards

Stuart
Not off piste. If I do that road again I'll be dropping pressures.

On this ride it was 50% pavement and 50% gravel so I left pressures at 28psi front and 32psi rear. The gravel a mix of pavement smooth to freshly graded marbles to dry hard pack base with loose washboard corners.

Some of the uphill 180degree switchbacks were so tight I was feathering the clutch in 2nd gear, 3rd was impossible. Trying to gain speed coming out of the corner on the washboard was where the rear had little control and hard to hook up. Basically standing with bike pitched into the turn, ass out, weight forward and on outside peg riding the slide on a bucking bike.

Tires are:
- TKC80 front (it's a very soft tire). If i'm on gravel all day I'll drop the pressure to 25psi as I've tweaked the rim running 20psi. It tracked well in all conditions.
- Mitas E-10 Dakar rear. It definitely handles gravel and mud better at 25psi.
Sounds liked tyres perfect. Maybe pressures a little high for loose corners. I'm been amazed how the bike behaves with lower pressures in..

Follow logic in 20. I've scratched the gold rim sadly.

Stuart

1 - 6 of 6 Posts