Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a 2017 CRF1000L Africa Twin manual and I have been having an issue with it after an incident with a tire shop. A couple of months ago I took my wheels in to have the tires replaced with new stock tires and I figured id get my bearings replaced while I had the wheels in. I brought the rear tire with the sprocket and all due to a bearing being located within the sprocket chamber of the wheel. I had not noticed that the shop had lost a spacer that goes in the hub assembly behind the sprocket and being a relatively new AT owner this was the first time I ever dealt with my wheels. The shop said nothing except that the work was done and all bearings were replaced and I excitedly got home and installed my wheels and decided to test out how the new tires felt. I rode the bike for maybe 15 min total, I was getting the feeling that something was wrong and immediately tried turning around and getting home. Luckily I almost made it to my street when something gave and after removing everything I figured out that the rear bearings had failed and broken. After inspection and researching I figured out that the sprocket hub spacer was missing and missing it caused the bearing failure. I called the shop and they couldn't find my spacer and also refused to be responsible for losing it or for the brand new ruined bearings. After getting the bearings replaced elsewhere and waiting 2 weeks for a replacement spacer to arrive in the mail I was excited to finally being able to enjoy my bike but that was too much to ask. Now, whenever I ride my bike I believe the ABS is not functioning anymore after tons of research and troubleshooting I cannot figure out the problem. I thought my rear speed sensor was ruined after the incident so I purchased a replacement 2017 rear sensor off of eBay and swapped it to no avail. I have tried reading the codes to the bike which were pointing to the speed sensor but I am lost and just want to ride my bike as the weather has been great for riding. At this point, it could be a number of things from bent speed ring to improper speed sensor gap. My question to this wonderful community is if anyone knows of a good shop that won't charge me an arm and a leg to fix my bike's ABS. I live in Aurora, Colorado and due to COVID, I don't have tons of money to throw into repairing the bike. Any helpful suggestions are appreciated but please don't criticize me as I am a young independent man. Sometimes the only way to learn is to struggle yourself and learn from the experience. Also, would it hurt to ride my bike with the ABS malfunctioning? I had read that it reverts to traditional braking if there is an issue with the ABS system. When i try and ride the traction control light turns off after 6mph but the ABS light continues to light up and after riding for a bit begins to flash.

Thank you everyone,

-JT

· Administrator
4,227 Posts
I realize that it might be a bit of a haul for you to ride over to Lonetree, but contact Aidis at Colorado Moto Service @[email protected] or (303) 872-0284. I can't recall if he still has his winter shop rates through April or not, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Micheal may be the one who replies to the email or answers the phone. He should be able to help you out as well.

Colorado Moto Service:
8218 Park Meadows Dr Lone Tree, CO 80124

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I realize that it might be a bit of a haul for you to ride over to Lonetree, but contact Aidis at Colorado Moto Service @[email protected] or (303) 872-0284. I can't recall if he still has his winter shop rates through April or not, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Micheal may be the one who replies to the email or answers the phone. He should be able to help you out as well.

Colorado Moto Service:
8218 Park Meadows Dr Lone Tree, CO 80124
Thank you for the info I spoke with them and took the bike to their shop today actually. No go on the winter rates anymore but I just need this bike at 100%. They actually recently moved locations and are now by santa fe in Denver.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the front wheel on backwards, perhaps you had crappy service on both ends of the bike and nothing is wrong with the back sensor
I revised everything that I possibly could and I don't believe that was an issue, the arrow on the tire rotates properly and everything seemed fine with the speed ring/sensor on the front. Hopefully, the shop finds out what is wrong. I have a suspicion it has something to do with the speed sensor gapping or possibly a slightly bent rear speed ring.

· Administrator
4,227 Posts
Thank you for the info I spoke with them and took the bike to their shop today actually. No go on the winter rates anymore but I just need this bike at 100%. They actually recently moved locations and are now by santa fe in Denver.
Oh? I didn't realize they had moved recently. They used to be over near Lonetree Brewery the last I knew. I liked that location, it's about 15 mins from my house. I used to drop my bike off in the evening and have a beer or two while I waited for my wife to pick me up on her way home :)

They need to stop moving. They were over near Erico Motorsports when I first started going to them :)

Bummer on the winter rates :(

· Registered
523 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have a 2017 CRF1000L Africa Twin manual and I have been having an issue with it after an incident with a tire shop. A couple of months ago I took my wheels in to have the tires replaced with new stock tires and I figured id get my bearings replaced while I had the wheels in. I brought the rear tire with the sprocket and all due to a bearing being located within the sprocket chamber of the wheel. I had not noticed that the shop had lost a spacer that goes in the hub assembly behind the sprocket and being a relatively new AT owner this was the first time I ever dealt with my wheels. The shop said nothing except that the work was done and all bearings were replaced and I excitedly got home and installed my wheels and decided to test out how the new tires felt. I rode the bike for maybe 15 min total, I was getting the feeling that something was wrong and immediately tried turning around and getting home. Luckily I almost made it to my street when something gave and after removing everything I figured out that the rear bearings had failed and broken. After inspection and researching I figured out that the sprocket hub spacer was missing and missing it caused the bearing failure. I called the shop and they couldn't find my spacer and also refused to be responsible for losing it or for the brand new ruined bearings. After getting the bearings replaced elsewhere and waiting 2 weeks for a replacement spacer to arrive in the mail I was excited to finally being able to enjoy my bike but that was too much to ask. Now, whenever I ride my bike I believe the ABS is not functioning anymore after tons of research and troubleshooting I cannot figure out the problem. I thought my rear speed sensor was ruined after the incident so I purchased a replacement 2017 rear sensor off of eBay and swapped it to no avail. I have tried reading the codes to the bike which were pointing to the speed sensor but I am lost and just want to ride my bike as the weather has been great for riding. At this point, it could be a number of things from bent speed ring to improper speed sensor gap. My question to this wonderful community is if anyone knows of a good shop that won't charge me an arm and a leg to fix my bike's ABS. I live in Aurora, Colorado and due to COVID, I don't have tons of money to throw into repairing the bike. Any helpful suggestions are appreciated but please don't criticize me as I am a young independent man. Sometimes the only way to learn is to struggle yourself and learn from the experience. Also, would it hurt to ride my bike with the ABS malfunctioning? I had read that it reverts to traditional braking if there is an issue with the ABS system. When i try and ride the traction control light turns off after 6mph but the ABS light continues to light up and after riding for a bit begins to flash.

Thank you everyone,

-JT
How many rides have you taken since you believe you fixed it?

The reason I ask, is that when there's a problem, the abs light comes on. When fixed, the light will remain on for a few start, run, stop cycles. I don't remember how many. So if you've only ridden in once, it may need another cycle or 2.

Also, in the shop manual, the spacer placement on the rear wheel is incorrect, they have them depicted in reverse. This will get the abs light on.....

Its frustrating going through this, but you'll get it fixed. It's all learning. Hang in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.