Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey....maybe a dumb question. I'm new to street bikes. Would you guys be comfortable just using one of those shop stands (*The ones that lift the front or rear tire) for parking? Specifically, leaving it out in the parking lot with the shop standing doing all the holding in place duties? Seems like it would be more stable than the kick stand but I really don't know.

I know the OEM center stand is the tool of choice for this, but I'm not sure I want to add it and the extra weight. Don't worry about security, it will be in a super safe area.

Anyways...what is more stable? The shop stand or the kick stand.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you have a DCT make sure you use the parking brake. Otherwise it's in neutral. I never leave any of my other bikes in neutral when park on the sidestand.

I totally trust sidestands. BUT I only use Pitbull Stands. when I put my bikes up for the winter, especially my Track bike, it's on a front and rear stand. It stays that way for the winter.

My ATAS. I'm just going to use the centerstand and a small jack to lift the front slightly so there isn't as much weight on it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've had many bikes that either had no stand, or I removed it to save weight and increase cornering clearance. Either a rear wheel track stand or a front steering head stand would work fine. I don't like the fork stands, and with the 21 inch front wheel the head stand might be hard to find. So that leaves a rear wheel stand. A pit bull would be my choice. If you just want it secure and out of the way - then I would mount an eye bolt to a wall, park it on the side stand leaning that way - and use a single tie down strap to keep it from being pulled upright. I'd only put it on a stand if I needed to get around it to work on it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Is there a locking mechanism in case of hydraulic failure? Sidestand or center stand would be safe and just fine. I wouldn't be too concerned with the minimal additional weight of adding a centerstand on an AT. It's down low, you'll never notice it and it's usefulness outweighs the additional weight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts