Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only tab I could find on site to post a new thread was in the information and help section. There must be an easier way!!

I am looking for a shorter windshield, and I have seen this issue come up in other semi-related threads.

I am wondering if I can get some feedback from those who have installed either the MRA Sport or Touratech short shields. Are you happy with the short shield? Is buffeting reduced? How do the black, tinted, or clear versions look on the bike?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
The only tab I could find on site to post a new thread was in the information and help section. There must be an easier way!!

I am looking for a shorter windshield, and I have seen this issue come up in other semi-related threads.

I am wondering if I can get some feedback from those who have installed either the MRA Sport or Touratech short shields. Are you happy with the short shield? Is buffeting reduced? How do the black, tinted, or clear versions look on the bike?

Thanks!!
I can half answer your question, The buffeting is completely eliminated with no shield - I tried this during my test ride of the AT on Friday. For me this is much better than the vibrating peak on my Nolan helmet, but the wind pressure on the chest is increased substantially, meaning you have to hang on more and grip harder. It's a trade off.
It also looks to me like an easy job to cut the standard screen and make it look as though it is meant to be that shape. However, I don't know whether what remains of the screen would then cause the same buffeting airflow to hit the peak.
Mike

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I look forward to hearing back on the TT Stephen. What colour did you order?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I've the MRA shortie....the TT one is way too expensive for my tastes. I've gone for the solid black and I love its shape and looks. Buffeting is a non issue tho' on windy days, you can get a bit of head bobble (with a peaked lid), but that's really just riding in the elements and you are on a motorcycle. ;)

I actually tried the Powerbronze sports screen first and it's beautifully finished, but it looks like you've cut a lump off the standard screen and it wasn't as good aero-wise as the MRA.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's very helpful Davy.

I think I'll go for the MRA short, tinted. I'll try to post pictures once I get it on the bike.

I've always found less buffeting with short shields, rather than tall.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I've always found less buffeting with short shields, rather than tall.
Me too....:wink2:

I had the screen on my 12GS set to its lowest position, unlike virtually all other riders.

The touring screen on my 1190 Adv was terrible, the standard screen not as bad but the short 1190 R screen was the best.

Many seem to want to hide behind ever bigger screens....then complain about buffeting.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I've the MRA shortie....the TT one is way too expensive for my tastes. I've gone for the solid black and I love its shape and looks. Buffeting is a non issue tho' on windy days, you can get a bit of head bobble (with a peaked lid), but that's really just riding in the elements and you are on a motorcycle. ;)

I actually tried the Powerbronze sports screen first and it's beautifully finished, but it looks like you've cut a lump off the standard screen and it wasn't as good aero-wise as the MRA.
Hmmm That might work. Looks like it's about 100mm shorter than the standard Honda screen. Do you have a reference for it Davy as I noticed that there seemed to be some slightly higher ones out there too
Mike

·
Registered
33 Posts
I took a dremel to the stock screen, shortening it to about an inch above the accessory bar. I found the stock screen unacceptably noisey, even at around town speeds. I've been really happy with the my new free short screen.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I took a dremel to the stock screen, shortening it to about an inch above the accessory bar. I found the stock screen unacceptably noisey, even at around town speeds. I've been really happy with the my new free short screen.
I made a right mess of one NC750 screen with my dremel. But discovered that a coping saw used carefully can do the job in about 10 minutes.
Mike

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey all. How tall are you guys that have put on shorty screens? I am 5'9" and get a lot of high frequency buffeting from around the sides of the stock screen. Not sure if a lower screen would do better or worse at my height.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts