Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new AT manual at a dealership about 80 miles away and in a different state. While looking at the bike, was told a story about a guy who was all set to buy the bike, then disappeared. Recognized all the cliche sales tactics but figured "these guys are nice, just doing their job, whatever." I was encouraged more than once to buy the additional warranty coverage. Not something I usually do but again, the guys were nice and it was only a few more bucks a month, whatever. Buy the bike, paperwork said the bike had 1 mile on it but really it had 10. I figure no big deal, honest mistake, maybe they took it for a ride around the block a few times. Or maybe the "guy who disappeared" took it out for a test run.

I ride home with the ABS and TC lights on thinking that everything is normal and it means they are 'on' as opposed to being switched off. After all, the dealership did their check and I assumed a brand new, inspected bike should be ok. Find some dirt and stomp on the breaks because hey cool, my first bike with ABS. Bad idea, got a little squirrelly. That's not good but I'll try it on pavement. Nope. Read the manual and it let's me know that when the ABS or TC (both in my case) are still on when driving above a few mph, that's bad. Perhaps I should have payed more attention to what the lights mean but I was super excited, in a rush to get home, and it was new and inspected. All should be well.

So I'm a little ticked they let me take the bike with two big safety features not working and I start to go over the whole experience in the dealership and get a bad feeling. Call the dealership and they talk to me as if I don't know wtf I'm talking about and I probably turned it off or something. Someone is supposed to call me back but they do not. Call back and the owners and service manager were all very considerate but still get the feeling they think I am wrong about it. During the conversations I get 3 different versions about the guy who disappeared and why. So I start to think it's all BS and they were just trying to dump a broken bike on me thinking I'd never know the difference if TC and ABS were broken.

Now every little quirk of the bike makes me think it's just going to be a headache. For example, I've missed shifts between 4th and 5th quite a few times. Seems way more than what could be attributed to me being used to a different bike. And I'm not a novice. Used to race amateur motocross and have been riding mostly sport bikes for the last 15 years.

I'm going to give the dealership the benefit of the doubt, and take it in to them to have the 600 mile service and to check/repair the ABS and TC issue. But I still have a bad feeling about their honesty and the bike in general. I know it's under warranty but when I add it all up I am very concerned about the bike. Which is unfortunate because I absolutely love the thing. Too bad all this nonsense has really taken some of the joy out of owning it.

Anyway, sorry for the long post and rant, just curious to hear what others think. Am I being paranoid? Were they trying to dump a problem bike on me? Did the guy disappear because he knew better than I do? Just get it fixed and forget about it? Wait and see what happens after the dealership checks it? Avoid that place and take it somewhere else?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your bike is under warranty. If you are not satisfied with the dealer service, take it to a different dealer or call Honda directly. That's a one big advantage of buying new that you have peace of mind, so don't worry too much about it.

10 miles on a new bike is not quite unusual. Small test rides and inspection runs can easily pile up to 10 miles. Dealers always have some BS story to make you feel that yo are getting super lucky with your purchase. They don't want to lose your business and making up BS is unfortunately just dealer 101.

About the gear shifts, I have found Honda to be always clunky. Coming to a different bike, it will take a bit before you to get comfortable with Honda shifts. Although, I didn't find that problem with my test Africa Twin. Take it to a dealership (different dealership, if possible) for the first service and take it from there.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would not ride the bike any further as the ABS and TC lights are on. They should go off when you are under way at reasonable speeds. Accordingly there is a major safety issue with regard to the specifications of this particular motorcycle. The dealer sounds very shady indeed. I have no idea where you hail from as (in common with others) You have for some reason not got your jurisdiction on your profile. You have been sold a faulty motorcycle. Take whatever measures including legal, that you need to take .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all. I've been going back and forth between "it's under warranty, just go have them fix it and stop worrying about it" and "this is very shady and they are trying to dump a broken bike on you". I guess time will tell.

Appreciate the input.

·
Registered
76 Posts
What happens if you disconnect the battery then reconnect it after a few minutes. I know you shouldn't have to but may be a simple fix.

·
Registered
15 Posts
same issue with false neutrals

Man I'm getting tons of false neutrals as well...enough of them that I'm actually scared to shift and really make an extra effort to bang her up into gear...havent experienced anything like that on any of my other bikes!?

·
Registered
5 Posts
False neutrals, I hear ya

every time I ride the bike i'm getting loads of false neutrals mainly between 2nd and 3rd and 5th and 6th, I bought my bike 2nd hand from a Honda dealer with 2000 miles on the clock, i'm now thinking there is a reason why the previous owner gave up on it after so little miles, i'm lucky that my dealer is very close to me and I have a good relationship with them so any problems will be sorted but its very disappointing on such a new bike, i've owned loads of Honda's and never had a problem with the gear box

Seem to happen more often under hard acceleration or pulling up a hill

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
**UPDATE**

So I may have let previous bad experiences with dealerships send me into an irritable and negative outlook on the bike and the whole experience but everything (mostly) is straightened out now. The TC and ABS issue was due to the front wheel being put on backwards so the sensor wasn't sensing the proper disc. I certainly wish I had looked at it but I just assumed the dealership would assemble a bike properly. I was very irked about it because it gave me quite a fright when I decided to see what my first bike with ABS was like in the gravel. I advise against romping on the brakes until you know your ABS is really working.

The bars seem a tad out of whack and the seat was chewed up underneath from someone apparently having a hard time getting it to latch in. Other than that all is well and this bike is a #$#$% blast!

As for the false neutrals, things are much much better after the initial break in service. Still a few here and there when I'm lazy with my shifts but if you remember to give full motion I think the problems will disappear. Shifting seems to require quite a bit more movement on the lever than I'm used to and it feels like more "clicks" going on than other bikes I've had but getting used to it. Just give it some extra force. Also, strangely, it seems to shift better when I'm only giving half clutch, like a one or two finger pull.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My bars are also a tad out of whack (to far to the right).
The bars on the bike that I took for a test ride before purchasing were also a tad off line, but I thought that was due to the bike being dropped.
Hopefully it's only a few bolts to loosen off to make the adjustments?

·
Registered
119 Posts
**UPDATE**

So I may have let previous bad experiences with dealerships send me into an irritable and negative outlook on the bike and the whole experience but everything (mostly) is straightened out now. The TC and ABS issue was due to the front wheel being put on backwards so the sensor wasn't sensing the proper disc. I certainly wish I had looked at it but I just assumed the dealership would assemble a bike properly. I was very irked about it because it gave me quite a fright when I decided to see what my first bike with ABS was like in the gravel. I advise against romping on the brakes until you know your ABS is really working.

The bars seem a tad out of whack and the seat was chewed up underneath from someone apparently having a hard time getting it to latch in. Other than that all is well and this bike is a #$#$% blast!

As for the false neutrals, things are much much better after the initial break in service. Still a few here and there when I'm lazy with my shifts but if you remember to give full motion I think the problems will disappear. Shifting seems to require quite a bit more movement on the lever than I'm used to and it feels like more "clicks" going on than other bikes I've had but getting used to it. Just give it some extra force. Also, strangely, it seems to shift better when I'm only giving half clutch, like a one or two finger pull.
Interesting that you have found the changes to be smoother with half the clutch pulled in. I have noticed this too, and I have also noted that it appears smoother if you don't twist the throttle all the way off. Don't know if it's mind over matter but it does seem to help with a smoother change.

Cheers,

Wadeo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts