Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy an Africia Twin DCT. There are some left over 2017s around and I can save approximately $2,000 CDN. Would I better off to spend the extra and buy a new model with the upgrades or just buy the 17 and save some money? Is there any issues with the 16s and 17s that have been addressed and is it worth the extra money to have the upgrades? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
465 Posts
A lot of factors to consider.

Will the AT see gravel at all? Will it primarily be used on asphalt 50 or 100% of the time?

I've read some are still experiencing rusting issues with the 2018 SS spokes. Then there's the sticky throttle issue but I think that only happened to one customer. To be honest, I haven't really kept up with the 2018 issues...too busy with my own issues. LOL

If I wasn't so short and they still kept the 2016/2017 tri-color scheme, I would have opted for the 2018s had I known Honda was planning on releasing one so soon.

I think the benefits of buying a 2018 outweighs the extra cost. However, if you don't need the extra fuel, minor suspension & farkle upgrade, $2K could get you all sorts of aftermarket goodies. Bet you can get the dealer to lower the 2016/17 models even more.

·
Registered
728 Posts
My only concern would be the front forks on the 2017 which a few have posted about. The 2018 forks (so I've read) have more less machined off and Kashmina coating.

I've had no issues at all and I ride off road a lot. No spoke, switch or throttle issues. Friend has a 2016 with +25,000km - lots of gravel and 2-track as well with no issues at all.

Buy the 2017 and put the saved $ to accessories.

My 2017 has SWMotech bash plate, crash guards, tail rack. Barkbusters. Touratech Zega hard cases with racks that easily mount Wolfman Expedition dry bags. Honda heated grips. Eastern Beaver 3-circuit power distribution, IMS Super-Stock pegs, TKC-80 tyres (now a Mitas E-10 on rear), Camel footage brace, Giant Loop Fandango tank bag (buy a Wolfman instead - GL 'Trucker tarp' material just rips your tank), MRA X-screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
My only concern would be the front forks on the 2017 which a few have posted about. The 2018 forks (so I've read) have more less machined off and Kashmina coating.

I've had no issues at all and I ride off road a lot. No spoke, switch or throttle issues. Friend has a 2016 with +25,000km - lots of gravel and 2-track as well with no issues at all.

Buy the 2017 and put the saved $ to accessories.

My 2017 has SWMotech bash plate, crash guards, tail rack. Barkbusters. Touratech Zega hard cases with racks that easily mount Wolfman Expedition dry bags. Honda heated grips. Eastern Beaver 3-circuit power distribution, IMS Super-Stock pegs, TKC-80 tyres (now a Mitas E-10 on rear), Camel footage brace, Giant Loop Fandango tank bag (buy a Wolfman instead - GL 'Trucker tarp' material just rips your tank), MRA X-screen.
So while you don't see the benefit of the upgrades from a 2016/2017 to a 2018 standard AT versus saving the cash and using it for accessories, what do you think of the new Adventure Sports? Is it worth the money or would you say buy standard and use the cost savings to add your own stuff? It looks to me like you built a version of the ATAS minus the tank and suspension. Nice photo, by the way. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am looking to buy an Africia Twin DCT. There are some left over 2017s around and I can save approximately $2,000 CDN. Would I better off to spend the extra and buy a new model with the upgrades or just buy the 17 and save some money? Is there any issues with the 16s and 17s that have been addressed and is it worth the extra money to have the upgrades? Thanks for any input.
I had the same decision to make and went with a 2017 AT DCT in red for $2400 less than the 2018 MSRP. For that difference in price, I couldn't justify any of the upgrades.

The only one I was really interested in was the stainless steel spokes. But if mine corrode within the first year, my plan is to buy some SS ones and see if the dealer will install them under warranty. As far as I can tell, it would only be a few hundred dollars--much less than $2400.

Good luck on your decision. Maybe test ride both and see what differences you can notice.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Is that truly "out the door"? Taxes and all? I thought I got a good deal at 13,374 all in.
You beat me! Mine was $13,379 out the door, taxes and all. I should have bargained for that extra 5 bucks!

(Actually, I liked the salesman--also the owner--so much that I bought the oil and filters for my first oil change so I could give them some extra business. But then the owner told the parts guy to give me "the discount" and I ended up getting the stuff for even cheaper than I can get on amazon.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts