Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks
I'm not the greatest rider, but I have bumbled my way 2up on a Honda cb500x, with my wife, from Malaysia to London via China then from Bogota, Colombia to Chile where we currently are. In a few weeks we will be heading for home. On returning I plan to buy a new motorbike. The cb500x is the biggest bike I have ever ridden so I am a little apprehensive about buying an AT with so much power, any thoughts? By the way I turn 60 next year.

If anyone is interested here is my website of our current trip.
rtw2up dot com

·
Registered
86 Posts
Definitely should! The AT is well ballanced, great turning circle, easy to maintain (it's a Honda), yes it has the extra power, but all depends on how hard and far you turn the throttle! I am sure that you won't regret it. if you can handle the rigors of your current trip, your experience and sense of adventure should be the makings of a good AT rider. Stay safe!

·
Registered
33 Posts
The DCT is easy to ride I just got one - but it is heavier and taller than your 500.
Try one and see! Check your pillion likes it too. I envy your lovely long tour! Have fun
regards Ted

·
Registered
27 Posts
A man of your experience it will be a sinch. Go for it and I envy you. I am coming 65 and love the AT. If you leave the traction control on you will not come to grief if you get to enthusiastic with the throttle.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Tbh You and your Wife have achieved much more in motorcycling than most folks who venture onto this forum, me included. I have saved your site as a favourite and will study it at my leisure. I look forward to it.

The CBX is a good bike. I rode one recently with the Rally Raid full kit on it but that particular bike was not for me. I would prefer the more standard model.

Like You I am the wrong side of 60, indeed also the wrong side of 65. I am conscious of the weight of a bike nowadays more than anything else when I am manhandling them. That now dictates a large part of my criteria for choosing a motorcycle. As such I am finding the AT easy to manhandle, and in low speed manoeuvering. The bike that it replaced was a Honda NC700X which was an excellent motorcycle. In fact it does not weigh much more than the NC and carries its weight well. The suspension on the AT is soft and may need fettling if you are to venture far two up with luggage. It has a fairly abrupt throttle response and more responsive motor than the CBX for obvious reasons being double the capacity. However one soon gets used to it.

I believe your best tactic would be to get a test ride on DCT and manual demos and then you will know. I cannot speak for the pillion accommodation as my Wife only does two up on our Triumph, but the pillion section of the AT looks reasonably comfy and definitely should be as good as, if not better than the CB.

Best of luck with your decision. Now I am off to read thru your site.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm interested to hear what you thought of the CB500X Griff.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm interested to hear what you thought of the CB500X Griff.

I assume You are referring to the Rally Raid bike ?

I had long thought of getting a RR CB500X to replace my NC as its budget suspension was killing me around my local backroads. I liked the idea of a standard CBX anyway as they are neat and light with sufficient performance to do most of what one would ask of them. The RR bike promised better suspension and a reasonable level of road performance.

I often think the first sign of a good bike is that when one rides it for the first time one feels sufficiently at home on board to clip along with confidence after trying out the brakes and other vital aspects of its handling. When I took the RR bike out I was not confident on it immediately. It was a run of about 30 miles that included a long rough gravel track. It felt tall and almost top heavy. Interestingly I felt more confident on it offroad than I did on road, but I suppose that was why the mods were done in the first place. I was not confident in the front end on tight backroad bends. Those are the roads that I live on so that was a negative for me.

I had no issue with the motor which performed as I expected it to do. The bike just didn't feel right for me and I couldn't build sufficient confidence in it. I don't think the mods suit the chassis and as an offroad bike it couldn't come close to the KTM 690 E that I already owned, and that bike was far from perfect suspension wise. All the mods were however quality items.

In the end my NC was replaced with the AT. In contrast with the RR bike I felt immediately confident in it (until I experienced my first wet road with those horrible tyres).

A

1 - 9 of 9 Posts