Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined up in a quest for information. Road test on ATAS this Friday - end of season discount! Moving from KTM1190 so hoping that I'll not miss that extra power!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Welcome on board. Well you will notice the power difference. I have the ATAS and have owned bikes with 150HP. To be honest I enjoy using the engine more on the ATAS. Just opening the throttle and squirting up the road is nice but you don't feel as involved with the bike. Or maybe I am just an old fart. If you experience wind buffeting to the helmet don't be put off, it can be sorted. Oh and of course the ATAS is the best looking bike on the planet. Good luck with the test ride, post your thoughts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Have you purchased the one in Shrews Honda centre workshop I saw last week, looks like was being prepped.
Good luck with it !

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've bought the one in the window of that dealer following road test on the "standard" version. Enjoyed it - It was good not driving around at 4000rpm all the time!! Got a good price on the KTM and £1099 off list price of ATAS. It was fitted with the widest set of panniers "in the world" so have passed on that and gone for one of the Honda packs - centre stand/lights/pannier kit/bags etc. Got another 10% off the extras and a free first service too. Think I did OK!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well done, hope you enjoy the new steed. :grin2:

Brother and I are up in your neck of the woods at the moment (well not far, Much Wenlock), visiting friends. Really enjoying the roads and scenery, nice to ride on some actually fit for purpose roads, compared to the severe pothole roads down our way.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Welcome from a fellow Shropshire Lad

Welcome to the forum from an expat Shroppie. Have to say I miss a pint of Joules Slumbering Monk but I wouldn't swap one for your weather! I ride all year round here in Oz but I think I've become too much of a wuss in my old age to do it in the UK.

I still remember, without much fondness, riding my Suzuki GT185 in the early seventies from Hinstock to Burslem twice a week for college and having to stop every few miles to thaw my hands out on the exhaust! Heated grips didn't exist then, and in Honda's case I don't think they do now either but that's another story!

Anyway welcome, and I look forward to coming back to the UK next year to try out those wonderful roads that apparently exist in Shropshire. If you find any let me know where they are because when I left they were full of pot holes big enough to swallow a small car and covered in cow **** and mud. Perfect territory for an Africa Twin :grin2:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well done on the deal there ! Good people to deal with , can’t fault em.some good roads in Shropshire but the further west you go the better it gets, Welsh coast might be calling tomorrow.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still pot holes everywhere - as you say, ADV bikes do best on these roads! The handiest bike to ride locally was my Yamaha 225 Serow; and the only one which I actually took off road "properly"....though some of the C roads had little or no surface after last winter so it was difficult to tell sometimes! Yes; it is great to have mid Wales and Snowdonia as a playground. However, I can easily do an interesting 150 miles without troubling the country borders. Some great cafes too.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Collected yesterday and 150 miles in! Don't know what the fuss about heated grips is about - mine are fine. Already done a bit of gravel path (on purpose) and the 21 front wheel makes it feel so much more poised (for an off road numpty!). It stayed standard for nearly a day....time to personalise.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts