Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this from ebay for £8.53 inc delivery to the UK.
It was posted from China and took about two weeks to arrive.
It's made from CNC machined alloy and seems really well made and solid.

The likes of Touratech, SW Motech etc are asking £30-£40 for a similar item!
It took me two minutes to fit with a dab of Locktite on the screw threads.
Hopefully it'll save a lot of searching around for rocks and bits of wood when you're on soft ground.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcyc...h=item2ac1a39160:g:XHsAAOSw5vxcPVQj:rk:1:pf:0

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No idea sorry.

I suggest you draw a template around the foot print of your sport's stand on a piece of card and
search out an AT to compare it to.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Hopefully it'll save a lot of searching around for rocks and bits of wood when you're on soft ground.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcyc...h=item2ac1a39160:g:XHsAAOSw5vxcPVQj:rk:1:pf:0
Looks like a copy of the SW Motech one that I have on my ATAS (but much less expensive!)

·
Registered
979 Posts
The sidestand foot enlarger makes a big difference if you're parking your bike on soft ground.
I bought a GIVI one. Yes, they are much more expensive - agreed.

I have a moral issue with companies in China ignoring patent laws and make exact reproductions of products. If it were your business and you spent the time on development, research and design I think you'd be upset to find that someone is making your product and selling it for cut-rate. However, I do agree that the original manufacturers are being unreasonable in the price that they sell their products for.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks Squirrelly, I have just ordered one and I had noticed that SW Motech and others were charging a lot for theirs.

·
Registered
223 Posts

They work well but need to be glued or screwed to the stand as they will rattle off without it, I tapped a 5mm thread in the side stand & to located the stand bracket so it cant move

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a moral issue with companies in China ignoring patent laws and make exact reproductions of products. If it were your business and you spent the time on development, research and design I think you'd be upset to find that someone is making your product and selling it for cut-rate. However, I do agree that the original manufacturers are being unreasonable in the price that they sell their products for.
True @superfunkomatic, I agree with your sentiment, but as you do shine a balanced light on both sides of the argument, it believe it is important to really show how IP protection and enforcement is a very lopsided issue.
Patents have become on the whole a battlefield weapon between large corporations who employ their own department of lawyers to defend and expand their patent footprint.
On the whole all us small fish get squashed.

I am a small furtiture designer and have had one of my inventions stolen. It hurt, but I could not justify the company crippling cost to defend myself. I took another angle, keep innovating at break neck speed. Stay in front and try to pick up the pennies from in front of the steamroller.

Sorry for the economic sidetrack guys. I could not help it.

btw, I also have a touratech stand foot extender on my Africa twin. Paid the extra in the hope I was not naive in my support, since Touratech obviously copied someone!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I’m all for protecting companies, big or small, and their IP. But when you can get footpeg enlargers from Ebay for £30 compared to £120 from Sw Motech, i draw the line. For these two pieces of aluminium, which must cost less that usd 10 to make, I’m not letting someone make 1200% profit off of me, it’s abusing their customers.

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
Agreed. There are so many parts for our bikes that have been reproduced by small Chinese companies. It's really is hard to justify the differences in prices. The difference does seem exorbitant doesn't it? Those new enlargers will certainly do the trick.

I’m all for protecting companies, big or small, and their IP. But when you can get footpeg enlargers from Ebay for £30 compared to £120 from Sw Motech, i draw the line. For these two pieces of aluminium, which must cost less that usd 10 to make, I’m not letting someone make 1200% profit off of me, it’s abusing their customers.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I found this one when I was looking a while back. Says it's just for 2016-17, but I wonder if it will fit 2018/ ATAS.

Comes in a bunch of cool colors (including blue, gold and red) and the price is right. $17.90 US.

Google "HTTMT- Side Pad Kickstand Stand Extension Plate For Honda CRF1000L"

Amazon has it in several colors. It's at Walmart too, but might be limited in colors.

Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
Agreed. There are so many parts for our bikes that have been reproduced by small Chinese companies. It's really is hard to justify the differences in prices. The difference does seem exorbitant doesn't it? Those new enlargers will certainly do the trick.
They’ve been great. Really good grip in the rain without eating into my boots and a nice stable platform for standing up without interfering with the controls. Plus they look really good too!
I’m waiting to receive some fork adjusters too which I got for £5 on eBay. Another example where I wouldn’t pay 30 or more for essentially two nuts!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've ordered from AliExpress but, altough they mentioned it was for 2016/2018, it didn't fit my 2018 AT.
Suggestion: Before you order from China, ask 3 times if it really fit the 2018 model.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Would anyone with a 2016/17 AT be willing to measure the footprint/ size of their kickstand pad, so I can compare to my 2018 ATAS? (The only local AT I know of--former parts manager at dealer's--upped and left town).

From the pictures I've seen, the kickstands look the same and I'm betting the extenders would work for the 2018 models.

Here's a few pics of my kickstand pad and a traced footprint on paper with some rough measurements.

(I've done a bit of searching for the answers but can't come up with anything definitive vis-à-vis the kickstand from 2016 - 2018. But I think it's the same part).

If I don't get any replies, I'll just order the $17 HTTMT extension plate and hope it works. No great loss if it doesn't.

Thanks, Gary

EDIT: Just saw your post Parma. Hmm. Maybe it won't work. Or maybe it's the AliExpress plate that won't work. Still, would be nice to have a comparison of the kickstand pads.

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
Would anyone with a 2016/17 AT be willing to measure the footprint/ size of their kickstand pad, so I can compare to my 2018 ATAS? (The only local AT I know of--former parts manager at dealer's--upped and left town).

From the pictures I've seen, the kickstands look the same and I'm betting the extenders would work for the 2018 models.

Here's a few pics of my kickstand pad and a traced footprint on paper with some rough measurements.

(I've done a bit of searching for the answers but can't come up with anything definitive vis-à-vis the kickstand from 2016 - 2018. But I think it's the same part).

If I don't get any replies, I'll just order the $17 HTTMT extension plate and hope it works. No great loss if it doesn't.

Thanks, Gary

EDIT: Just saw your post Parma. Hmm. Maybe it won't work. Or maybe it's the AliExpress plate that won't work. Still, would be nice to have a comparison of the kickstand pads.
Just went out into the cold for you Gary :) excuse the wet and dirty paper haha

Seems to be the same except for the little ball on yours. Mine is a late 2017 model.

Attachments

Reactions: garyh

·
Registered
284 Posts
Varadero Twin... Thank you so much!

Got to love this forum.

I'm going to go ahead and order the HTTMT extension and see if it works. The cutout in the top of the extension should allow for varying sized knobs on the kickstand pad.

My man, thanks again... Very cool.

All the best, Gary

EDIT: Just ordered the red one. Figured it would match best with that area of the bike, tying in the red striping at the back and on the tank. I'm thinking worst case, I might have to do some slight bending or some hammer tapping to get the extension to fit well. I'll update after install--says I should have it by the 14th.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Varadero Twin... Thank you so much!

Got to love this forum.

I'm going to go ahead and order the HTTMT extension and see if it works. The cutout in the top of the extension should allow for varying sized knobs on the kickstand pad.

My man, thanks again... Very cool.

All the best, Gary

EDIT: Just ordered the red one. Figured it would match best with that area of the bike, tying in the red striping at the back and on the tank. I'm thinking worst case, I might have to do some slight bending or some hammer tapping to get the extension to fit well. I'll update after install--says I should have it by the 14th.

My pleasure, happy to help. I’ve gotten a lot of help on here too, it’s great to have such a community of AT owners.

Hope it fits. Most reviews of various ones are split with some saying it’s great and others that it doesn’t fit. Hard to know what to believe unless you try. I’m looking for a red one too and will paint the top ring black to match the bike. Current seller is away on holiday so will have to wait though... the httmt one can’t be found on amazon UK.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I found this one when I was looking a while back. Says it's just for 2016-17, but I wonder if it will fit 2018/ ATAS.

Comes in a bunch of cool colors (including blue, gold and red) and the price is right. $17.90 US.

Google "HTTMT- Side Pad Kickstand Stand Extension Plate For Honda CRF1000L"

Amazon has it in several colors. It's at Walmart too, but might be limited in colors.

Gary

This one is the one.
I will order mine right now.

Thanks Gary

·
Registered
42 Posts

Thanks, Gary

Jumping in a little late...
I've got the aliexpress extender on my my 2016, and it fits perfectly. BUT I know people here with newer bikes (not sure if 2017 or 2018), who bought it and it doesn't fit because of that little ball on the top of yours.
So it seems you'll either have to file down that ball, or file a gap in the extender itself in order to get it to fit.
Still sounds like a worthwhile deal to me...

Reactions: garyh
1 - 20 of 37 Posts