Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks has anyones bike fallen over whilst on the side stand as i think the stand may be a tad too long, and not allowing the bike to rest at the correct angle. any comments please.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Folks has anyones bike fallen over whilst on the side stand as i think the stand may be a tad too long, and not allowing the bike to rest at the correct angle. any comments please.

Is your bike Lowered? Too much sag? I used to get this fully loaded on the S10. Had to make sure I increased the preload when traveling fully loaded.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I posted about this problem earlier in the year, one or two Guys had also had their AT fall over. Mine was properly parked although conditions were windy. Mine fell on top of me !!

My dealer suggested cut and weld the sidestand but I am concerned if this would compromise the strength.

Personally I don't think stock settings should cause this to happen.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have always had the feeling that the bike is too upright on the side stand. I leave it on the centre stand whenever I can.
Having said that I am comparing it to my 1150GS which leans more more than a GP racer.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I agree - it does stand a little too upright, at least compared to my v-stroms. I also noticed that the side stand foot isn't sitting flush with the ground. And, as side stands typically have some lateral play, if I kick it out towards me a bit (to use up that lateral play), the foot then sits flat and the bike is leaned over more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replys, i think there is a problem when the bike is fitted with panniers and top box, where the bike does not sit at a good enough angle making the bike unstable, mines fell over and i now have a 2k bill, I wrote to honda about this issue in June and no one seems interested. any comments please

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm curious about the opposite: how far off level is it safe to use the sidestand? My wife and I pulled up to a restaurant the other day and the parking space was on a side slope such that when I put the sidestand down there was about 3-4" between it and the ground. I started to tilt the bike over but it made me nervous so I backed up and found a more level spot.

I'm thinking I was being way to conservative but am curious what rules of thumb others are using.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Folks anyone willing to send me an email who had their bike fall over when on the side stand as I'm going to follow this please give details of where it was parked i.e. level ground, any boxes fitted and any damage. I'm trying to get honda to look into this issue. surely fit for purpose comes to mind.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I will willingly email when possible.

Mine had full luggage ( Honda's own ) and was parked on a tarmac surface with no gravel present. As mentioned it was windy but nothing exceptional. But for the quick thinking of a friend my incident could have been worse. An AT landing on you hurts !

Looking at a previous post - every incident seems to be that the bike falls away from the sidestand side.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I guess nobody here has ridden a KLR 650? The 2nd Gen of that bike is notoriously vertical on the side stand. Chopping the side stand is quite common. Compared to that, this bike is a dream.

The solution there, and probably here, is to set the sag correctly. Try increasing your preload. Sounds counter-intuitive, but mine is set properly and it leans almost too much.

·
Registered
158 Posts
All seems to be OK on the side stand, plenty of lean, however, often I'll use the centre stand (an extra purchase from HONDA) when I am leaving the bike for an extended period.

M

·
Registered
64 Posts
I learned with my first ADV to pull the bike to the left a bit when getting off, to pull the rear wheel off the ground enough to allow the rear suspension to extend fully. That gets the rear up to the max, and increases the lean angle. I'm concerned about the lean angle with loaded panniers as well and am shopping for an adjustable replacement side stand...

·
Registered
743 Posts
Check your sag. Adding luggage requires increased preload on shock spring to raise the rear back to normal level.
If you don't increase the preload the bike will sit too vertical on the side stand.

BMW makes it easy with their ESA. Select 1-helmet, 2-helmet, 2-helmet +luggage and the motor adjusts spring preload accordingly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts