Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Where has your Africa Twin Taken you?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
As a fat bugger with all the gear on (about 280 lbs as well) with a bad knee, hip and ankle I always use the side stand to get on and off. Always strap it down on the ferry using the side stand (center stand does not allow the bikes suspension to soak up vibrations and movement). Only issue I have is the **** thing is to long, have to be careful parking up. On the ferry a strap over the seat on the ferry does bugger all to stop it falling due to the bike being too upright so I strap to the Outback Motortek crash bars - very solid bars and allows enough compression on the suspension to keep the bike secure but allow it to move just enough to absorb vibrations.

Is anybody manufacturing a shorter sidestand, I have e-mailed KROOZTUNE SUSPENSION in Australia with some questions regarding theirs a couple of times but they can't be bothered answering so looking elsewhere.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I think my ATAS leans over too far on its side stand. Especially if there is camber on the road where you park. I have fitted a fat foot plate which raises it a bit, but when parked in my garage I have a piece of wood under the side stand as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've watched so many fat Foookers climb onto GS 12oo's over the last number of years by standing on the foot peg with the bike on the side stand. I always thought JEEEZ that's no way to treat your side stand, but I've never seen one fail. I can't comment on the AT side stand as yet, but I have just discovered that it's easier for my pillion to get on the back of my AT with panniers on by getting on before me with the bike on the side stand. If it fails, i'll come and cry about it on here. One guy said that's how they strap bikes down on the ferry and he's quite right, most of them will be fully loaded and again (with a few ferry trips under my belt) I've never seen a fail.
As one of those "fat Fookers" (I'll claim 280 lbs., but if I haven't yet shat your piss ant weight "bart", I'll better 300)… I've had no problem with my side stand. As many have said, I too do stand on the left peg with the side stand down and then swing over my right leg. My major concern was always the left peg... I got monster pegs to accommodate my weight and size 14 boots and I feel that all is good.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think my ATAS leans over too far on its side stand. Especially if there is camber on the road where you park. I have fitted a fat foot plate which raises it a bit, but when parked in my garage I have a piece of wood under the side stand as well.
I wonder if the new bike has a shorter side stand and if it fits the earlier bike. I stopped in France to help a couple who had broken down and had to turn into oncoming traffic on the hard shoulder as the very slight camber to the right had the bike falling off the side stand. I right PITA to do on narrow hard shoulders.

·
Registered
716 Posts
As a fat bugger with all the gear on (about 280 lbs as well) with a bad knee, hip and ankle I always use the side stand to get on and off. Always strap it down on the ferry using the side stand (center stand does not allow the bikes suspension to soak up vibrations and movement). Only issue I have is the **** thing is to long, have to be careful parking up. On the ferry a strap over the seat on the ferry does bugger all to stop it falling due to the bike being too upright so I strap to the Outback Motortek crash bars - very solid bars and allows enough compression on the suspension to keep the bike secure but allow it to move just enough to absorb vibrations.

Is anybody manufacturing a shorter sidestand, I have e-mailed KROOZTUNE SUSPENSION in Australia with some questions regarding theirs a couple of times but they can't be bothered answering so looking elsewhere.
Set your rear sag. If you can't get it set with max pre-load on stock spring buy a stiffer spring.
Side stand will always be too long if your bike squats a lot with static load.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Set your rear sag. If you can't get it set with max pre-load on stock spring buy a stiffer spring.
Side stand will always be too long if your bike squats a lot with static load.
Yeah!!! What he said!

We ALL really need to move to "Canadia"! :smile2:

·
Registered
131 Posts
The stand is a cast alloy leg and i had mine cut and welded/shortened by 20mm after lowering the bike. One day when getting on it snapped at the join but i caught the bike ok. i had it welded and beefed up by a spanish fabrication shop whilst on this holiday just for the ferry trip home. i had been using a rock or piece of wood to rest the 'stump' on for a few days previous. I had a rear wheel puncture which needed the use of my 'ugly stick' but as we tilted the weight onto the stand to prop up the bike the stand began to bend like a banana. Apparently the stands strength had been affected by the heat of the extra welding. i got home ok by ferry then with nothing to lose i removed it and twatted it straight again and its still ok. now have a 2018 AT which i am NOT lowering

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just FYI camel-adv now makes a heavy duty sidestand with a large foot pad in stock length and -25mm length, it is listed and detailed on their website but no photo yet

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don’t Do It

The side stand is made of cast aluminum. Mine has bent from the weight of me mounting with the givi outbacks on. I priced a new one on the weekend and it is $142.00 in Canada. I don’t know whether to bite the bullet and order it, or risk trying to straighten it and having it break. My advice is “don’t use the side stand for anything except holding the bike upright.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've got the Camel Toe, from Camel ADV.

And I get on my bike while standing in the peg. Last weekend, I had my girlfriend of about 58 Kg on it, and I got on the bike using the peg, and it held perfectly. No damage to it. And I'm like 95 Kg.

Cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
wow I love this forum...

The AT kickstand is made of cast steel. I have noticed slight flexing as well. I would avoid putting body weight and bike weight on it together. It worried me too.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've got the Camel Toe, from Camel ADV.

And I get on my bike while standing in the peg. Last weekend, I had my girlfriend of about 58 Kg on it, and I got on the bike using the peg, and it held perfectly. No damage to it. And I'm like 95 Kg.

Cheers!
Same here, 94Kg, Camel Toe Side-stand, ....... different girl though ;)

Camel ADV's side-stand is made of steel, strong and a wide foot also... perfect!

https://camel-adv.com/collections/honda/products/camel-toe-side-stand-africa-twin

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
wow I love this forum...

The AT kickstand is made of cast steel. I have noticed slight flexing as well. I would avoid putting body weight and bike weight on it together. It worried me too.
It's a factory cast aluminium stand, not cast steel.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Where does the actual flexing appear to be happening. The arm itself bends along its shaft? There is a lot of play at the pivot point/bolt? Or does the mount where it's welded to the frame show some bending at or near the weld?

Wondering what kind of solution would be in the works. Extra bracing at the frame or a new stronger kickstand arm.
The stand itself bends and I see this when I spin the bike around on it's side stand. On the ferry I use my center stand. I too worry about breaking it. I don't know if it bends when I mount the bike with the stand down?...

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's true, I feel that peg bend when I stand on it! Now I better get a spare peg too...
As one of those "fat Fookers" (I'll claim 280 lbs., but if I haven't yet shat your piss ant weight "bart", I'll better 300)… I've had no problem with my side stand. As many have said, I too do stand on the left peg with the side stand down and then swing over my right leg. My major concern was always the left peg... I got monster pegs to accommodate my weight and size 14 boots and I feel that all is good.
T

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The stand itself bends and I see this when I spin the bike around on it's side stand. On the ferry I use my center stand. I too worry about breaking it. I don't know if it bends when I mount the bike with the stand down?...
logic would imply it won't. Presumably both wheels are off the ground when you spin it round? so that's about 240kg it's supporting. Hopefully you don't weigh 240kg. The load being applied by the bike leaning on it with both wheels on the ground could no doubt be calculated by someone good at trigonometry and moments of forces, but my guess is it won't be more than 40kg. So you'll be ok.
The only caveat to that is that maybe the stand is vertical when the bike is being spun round, in which case of course it's incredibly strong in longitudinal compression, and will be weaker when it bends as you mention above.
Mike

·
Registered
437 Posts
Here in the UK.. and mainland Europe. Have a look at the Iconic parts site. I'll copy their page here and finish with a link.

This side stand is designed to allow you to climb on the motorcycles pegs with the side stand down. All steel construction, this item will far exceed the strength of the cast aluminium OEM stand.

The top clevis is CNC machined for strength and TIG welded to seamless steel tube and then onto a gusset reinforced larger foot pad to help stop your bike sinking into the mud.
All will be finished in black powdercoat.

Three Sizes are available:
Standard Africa twin
Lowered -25mm
Taller for Adventure sport version +25mm over the standard.

Lowered and AS vwersions are made to order at this moment in time due to our workshop move.

Adventure Sport model is not compatible with the regular Africa Twin if it's equipped with a center stand

·
Registered
487 Posts
Reading back through this, ONE guy said he broke his, but he really never contributed more. One guy says he broke his after he had it cut and welded. The stock stands seem to flex. A couple say they bent theirs, but they didn't actually fail. I'm not seeing the issue.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts