Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Where has your Africa Twin Taken you?

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Reading back through this, ONE guy said he broke his, but he really never contributed more. One guy says he broke his after he had it cut and welded. The stock stands seem to flex. A couple say they bent theirs, but they didn't actually fail. I'm not seeing the issue.
This what I did. The new wheels I fitted are for road use and also smaller in diameter. So I made a shorter stand as the original was too long!
The material I used was thick wall steel, so I can now step up onto the bike without having to crack my knee on the hand rail trying to get on in the normal way.
This also has taken away the possibility of the original stand bending or breaking on me.
Ive also made a larger footprint so the stand can sit on soft ground.
IMG_20190417_102448.jpg IMG_20200508_170906.jpg

·
Registered
170 Posts
I put the sidestand on my 2018 ATAS down when getting off - but never stand on the peg when it's on the sidestand. Parking anywhere other than my garage or driveway I put it onto the centerstand. I would remove the sidestand - except when getting off I occasionally kick my topcase - and the sidestand keeps me from toppling. I never add my weight to the weight of the bike when it is on the sidestand - I've seen too many bikes break the stand or it's mounts that way.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Has anyone replaced the side stand for something that can withstand more weight?
yes.

I am 240 and have sw-motech footpegs.
I am short inseam, 30”, I do a cowboy mount, stand on peg and throw leg over.
no flexing or bending or breaking.
camel toe designed to be climbed on.

·
Registered
171 Posts
This is definately an issue. While doing the Continental Divide Ride, I stepped onto the foot peg to swing my leg over all my gear and the sidestand folded... not good. Had to splint it with a pipe nipple and U bolts to get through the trip.
Was this on an Africa Twin? Where exactly did it break? Pivot point? For a company that makes sure we all know the luggage rack can handle only 22 lbs. Honda should make it clear what the side stand limits are, especially if they fold under body weight… I have seen no such warnings and will continue to cowboy mount the bike and take my chances.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,878 Posts
Was this on an Africa Twin? Where exactly did it break? Pivot point? For a company that makes sure we all know the luggage rack can handle only 22 lbs. Honda should make it clear what the side stand limits are, especially if they fold under body weight… I have seen no such warnings and will continue to cowboy mount the bike and take my chances.
yes.

I am 240 and have sw-motech footpegs.
I am short inseam, 30”, I do a cowboy mount, stand on peg and throw leg over.
no flexing or bending or breaking.
camel toe designed to be climbed on.
My average height makes it easier to get on by cowboy mount and get on the AT every time that way .. I weigh about 250# and have gotten on the bike like that even when it’s packed like this...

The physics are simple; Normal level conditions the center of gravity is not far off alignment to the fulcrum . So there is not really a lot of weight on the stand. Think about how much force (or the weight of the bike) it takes you to lift the bike off the stand when you’re standing next to it. Now the “problem children ” lateral force, lateral stress, and friction.
In short, the bottom of the stand wants to slip out and bend. Those issues aside, for the most part the majority of the above mentioned weight is transferred straight down to the bottom of the stand. Now we come in; our weight is transferred latterly across the stand, granted it is not full lateral transference, I’m (just)guessing about just under half our body weight goes across the stand. Sounds like no big deal, but, we all know that lateral stress breaks things. Think of it this way, we all know that you can put more weight on the end of a board standing upright, then across it if it’s horizontal. All this being said, Honda (or anyone else) has no way of calculating every possible angle and weight (lateral stress) that could be put on that stand being applied by forces on that foot peg so of course they say “don’t do it”. Even a negative 2-3 deg. slope puts a “X” fold more pressure on that stand. Anyone who has parked their bike on even a slight downside slope will notice how much harder it is to lift the bike off the stand. But, I’m sure it was just a weight thing, put a light weight stand on to”save weight” and that the OEM stand would take quite a bit of weight (lateral force) before it breaks.
Also I might add, just for “insurance” because I do stress out my side stand like I’m not supposed to. I did get the heavier CamelToe side stand...

41 - 46 of 46 Posts