Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Owned my '17 ATwin for 6 days now. One of my concerns so far is the sidestand.

It appears to be made of some sort of composit; NOT metal.

It flexes noticably if you rock the bike on it.

Question is... has anyone experience a sidestand FAILURE???

Interested in an adjustable replacement. Any suggestions appreciated...

Thanks!!!

·
Administrator
3,301 Posts
It also looks to me like it is metal. Likely an alloy, but not a non-metal composite. Seems sturdy enough for the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi
My experience in that the side stand is very weak. It bends easily. Do not use it as a pivot point to turn the bike or mount the bike while standing in the side stand.
I have not seen any aftermarket alternative yet
Good rides

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,985 Posts
Wow old old thread back from the dead.
Funny I have yet to see any pictures of a broken side stand on the AT or any bike. I‘ve seen them used as pivot points to turn the bike around, I’ve seen the yolk attachment point spread some over time (old bike of mine) and let the bike lean over more and move over time. I’ve heard the “stories” that someone knows someone who has seen it happen (a side stand actually break). But I don’t recall anyone telling me that they themselves had had one just break. Now for those two or three people in the entire world that something like this has happened to, I’m sorry.
BTW I have on a couple occasions also used my OEM side stand as a pivot point to turn her around.

Reactions: Amphib

·
Registered
492 Posts
I asked this question in another thread. All that came back was "it looked weak, so I replaced it before it failed". Nobody ever said they broke one.

·
Super Moderator
6,387 Posts
I asked this question in another thread. All that came back was "it looked weak, so I replaced it before it failed". Nobody ever said they broke one.
There is a path to find out: Don't change anything.

I once thought that Honda engineers knew what they were doing when they designed the aluminum side stand. I never thought much, ... for awhile. Maybe the engineering is sound. However, every-so-often I saw that bugger bow under the weight. I also wanted a larger footprint. The ADV Camel offering was fairly priced. It solved both concerns. Never thought about it again, until this thread post.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My thoughts on the side stand: it’s fine. I’ve done many pivot turns on it an almost never just throw a leg over.
As far as it being aluminum? My 2010 Ford Raptor lower control arms are aluminum. I’ve driven it hard for 120k miles including regular jumps. No problems.
If aluminum control arms can hold up to a 7000 pound rally car, then A side stand on a 550 pond bike will do just fine.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I abuse my stock one. Yes it flexes. I mount the bike on the peg, lots of loaded trips, pivot turns....over 23k miles... It hasn't broken yet. Like everything else, I'll replace it when or if it breaks. I'm not convinced it ever will.

·
Super Moderator
6,387 Posts
The upshot is all those who replaced their side stand with a stiff steel version have a spare OEM side peg to sell maybe cheap.

·
Administrator
3,301 Posts
I abuse my stock one. Yes it flexes. I mount the bike on the peg, lots of loaded trips, pivot turns....over 23k miles... It hasn't broken yet. Like everything else, I'll replace it when or if it breaks. I'm not convinced it ever will.
I have seen a couple of pics of some slightly bent ones, but never a pic of a broken one. I always step on the peg and throw a leg over the bike, haven't managed to break one on my 2016 or current 2019 ATAS.

My wife did replace hers with a Camel ADV stand on her 2017. But only because she won it free at a local ADV Rally as one of the drawing prizes. Nothing wrong with there OEM one it replaced :)

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have seen a couple of pics of some slightly bent ones, but never a pic of a broken one. I always step on the peg and throw a leg over the bike, haven't managed to break one on my 2016 or current 2019 ATAS.

My wife did replace hers with a Camel ADV stand on her 2017. But only because she won it free at a local ADV Rally as one of the drawing prizes. Nothing wrong with there OEM one it replaced :)

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
It appears quite a few riders use the left foot peg to mount and dismount. Glad to know I am in good company. :)

·
Registered
726 Posts
The upshot is all those who replaced their side stand with a stiff steel version have a spare OEM side peg to sell maybe cheap.
Ha. Replaced my 2017 side stand with Camel Toe because I wanted a bigger foot. Always mounted on the OEM side stand. Pivoted bike on it too. It flexed but never bent.
Buddy with a 17 dropped his bike on a rock and bent his side stand - was rubbing his swingarm.
Gave him my take-off for a bottle of Bourbon. 🥃

1 - 20 of 35 Posts