I was with my girl friend at the Long Beach bike show today. Sitting on the bike today, and want to buy within 30s. It is 10 times as impressive in person than in picture. I am 5'7" with relatively short legs, may be 29-30 inseam. I was able to sit flat footed on both feet on the low seat version, silver bike. On the regular seat, it is manageable. I am on the ball of my feet on both feet on the regular seat version, red bike in picture. I have a honda CB1100, an indian Chieftain already, but this bike is so impressive I want to buy it on the spot. Here are why i like it so much.
1) The belly. I never can get over the fat belly of all the adventure bike out there. They are just ugly. The picture doesn't reveal it it completely, but in person , the curves over the belly is so sensual, remind me of Heidi Klum when she was pregnant.
2) Speaking of super model, it looks like a super model with its long legs. The bmw gs now looks like just a regular girl with regular legs next door. And the KTM just look like a big giant girl. But this one is a slim in shape girl with long legs.
3) Seating height. Other adventure bikes use an existing engine and put in an adventure frame, this bike's engine was design specifically for this bike, so it is able to have the big wheels and ample suspension travel, while providing low seat height.
4) Color. The gold fork and gold engine looks great. The paint fit and finish is amazing, lush, and thick. The seat is soft comfortable yet supportive and beautiful two tone. The seat covering is very high quality.
5) and the face, it reminds me of the wild cat with pointy ears, The main reason i want to buy it is the face, it is so distinctive, unique but not ugly unique like all the beak bikes.
6) The whole bike is flowing and sensual and finish, and looks like 21st century sculpture and engineering, not function over style. It is almost like style came first, but we all know this bike is so capable off road and on road, so I guess function and style too. I compare bmw , ktm, suzuki, kawasaki, yamaha, and all other honda adventures to this and the AT is a clear clear winner with wholesomeness, and other bikes are just pieces put together for the function but has no design language and philosophy behind it. It's like Pinninfarina design of alfa romeo julietta 1959 compared to a regular fiat. on a scale of 1-10, bmw 6, ktm 5, yamaha, suzuki, kawasaki, other honda 4. Africa twin 9. I am not writing this out of being over excited. Just a back ground I own an Austin Healey BJ7, Aston Martin Vantage V8 roadster, Porsche cayman s, Mercedes CLS, 72 Dodge Challenger, Honda s600 convertible and coupe, Lambretta LI, Indian Chieftain, Honda CB1100, Hyundai Elantra GT. Africa twin is next on my list. I take a bike road trip couple thousand miles each every month. I did 20k miles on my Chieftain last year.0