Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was laying under my ATAS and my face was almost kissing the skid plate, I noticed just how much it looked like ?
So time for a makeover...
Thinking of wrapping it in carbon fiber. Well a CF lookalike, since it’s still going to have the aluminum OEM plate as a core I can get away with any “basket weave” fiber to glass over.
Drawback : very time consuming to do and adding weight to the bike.
Option 2 : vinyl wrap in fake CF..
Light weight very cheap, quicker to do. A year from now if it looks like :poop: I can peal it off and redo it.
Option 3 : Powder coat it..

Any of the above options are all going to be two tone, I definitely am doing black on the outside of the pan and dark blue on the inside.

Less likely option 4 : black out the inside of the pan and buff the outside to a mirror finish.
I’m not a fan at all of chrome, but it might look pretty good with my 18 tricolor ATAS.

kinda thought about hydro dipping it too.

time will tell just what I’ll do..

anyone else have to “fix” the oxidation on their skid plate?
If so, what did you do?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've worked with both in the past and I suspect a vinyl wrap or a dip would wear badly on the underside of the bike, especially if used off-road.
Wear, peeling, and residual heat from the engine block would ruin the overall effect and rapidly become more unsightly than the naked plate.

If I were to cover mine; I'd sand and degrease it, undercoat with a grey automotive primer, and hit it with some matte black heat-resistant Krylon.
It's very hard-wearing finish, would hide and protect the base metal, preventing further oxidation. You'd also be rid of the chrome effect.
It would also be infinitely easier to clean up any potential scratches.

Just some thoughts. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've worked with both in the past and I suspect a vinyl wrap or a dip would wear badly on the underside of the bike, especially if used off-road.
Wear and peeling would ruin the overall effect and rapidly become more unsightly than the naked plate.

If I were to cover mine; I'd sand and degrease it, undercoat with a grey automotive primer, and hit it with some matte black heat-resistant Krylon.
It's very hard-wearing finish, would hide and protect the base metal, preventing further oxidation. You'd also be rid of the chrome effect.
It would also be infinitely easier to clean up any potential scratches.

Just some thoughts. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Thanks
Did think of doing red oxide primer then painting it too, my thing is that oxidation, miss one speck of it and a year later it will bubble up on you.
as far as off road, trails and two-tracks, don’t really skid it over logs in such to often,
most likely it will be my excessive speed on gravel roads that will tear it up.
Thinking I will media blast it and do the oxide primer and two tone paint. In the end Quick, simple, cheap, and easy to fix.

·
Super Moderator
6,380 Posts
I acquired the AT to get away from chrome and related maintenance. My OEM plate will oxidize naturally because it is in one of the most hostile environments on the bike anyway.

Maybe a environment-resistant plastic material for the plate - if it exists - and durable enough to be useful?

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I acquired the AT to get away from chrome and related maintenance. My OEM plate will oxidize naturally because it is in one of the most hostile environments on the bike anyway.

Maybe a environment-resistant plastic material for the plate - if it exists - and durable enough to be useful?
LOL!
Just taking about my old KLR 650 in another thread, it comes with a plastic skid plate, I replaced it with a aluminum one..
Hmm matter of fact I still got the stock plastic one...

·
Super Moderator
6,380 Posts
Just noticed the thread topic now,

"Skid marks of the bad kind.."

And here I'm thinkin', "Oh man, did he just touch cotton?" :rolleyes:

Anyway, glad to read it is just about motorcycle skid plates. :)

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Done for now..

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm, AT-D - add some LEDs in the pan to light up the bottom for a night effect. :cool:
I do have some UV lights o shou see if that blue is reactive to it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts