Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't really know if I need a slip on. TBH, the original exhaust sounds good in my opinion.
But I have seen 2 exhausts that do take my fancy:

First the Arrow:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/SILENCER-APPROVED-72621AO-ARROW-FOR-HONDA-CRF-1000-L-AFRICA-TWIN-2016-16-2017-17/183758263857?hash=item2ac8d89631:g:egwAAOSwb3Jcoz~b

Secondly the Sparks:
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/SPARK-EXHAUST-DAKAR-HOMOLOGATE-INOX-HONDA-CRF-1000L-AFRICA-TWIN-2016-16-2017-17/162865082376?hash=item25eb83f008:g:vi4AAOSwGHJaZkAk

What I'm looking for is a pipe that looks well & gives a good sound. I don't want to spend money for no improvement. I have searched Youtube, but would like some actual experiences before shelling out on a slip on.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I like the sound (at least as I heard online ) of the Arrow and I liked the Remus slip on too. Been also thinking of getting one too... but I already do enough hole-shots, as is, it cause the stock sounds pretty good, had a Two Brothers on my old bike and loved the sound of it and usually drove it like I stole it because of it, so I know adding one to my ATAS would add to one to many times that the front wheel will go for a flight off the ground...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Don't really know if I need a slip on. TBH, the original exhaust sounds good in my opinion.
But I have seen 2 exhausts that do take my fancy:

First the Arrow:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/SILENCER-APPROVED-72621AO-ARROW-FOR-HONDA-CRF-1000-L-AFRICA-TWIN-2016-16-2017-17/183758263857?hash=item2ac8d89631:g:egwAAOSwb3Jcoz~b

Secondly the Sparks:
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/SPARK-EXHAUST-DAKAR-HOMOLOGATE-INOX-HONDA-CRF-1000L-AFRICA-TWIN-2016-16-2017-17/162865082376?hash=item25eb83f008:g:vi4AAOSwGHJaZkAk

What I'm looking for is a pipe that looks well & gives a good sound. I don't want to spend money for no improvement. I have searched Youtube, but would like some actual experiences before shelling out on a slip on.

Thanks for any advice.
Here are some tunes for you
Note none of them give you any more power (1 or 2 maybe) over the stock one, if you want more you need to put a full system in or new headers with the stock muffler.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm about to spend some $$ on a Remus. In my opinion it sounds better, looks better and weighs a few kilos less than stock. That's good enough justification for me. The stock pipe is the only thing on the bike that bothers me to look at...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Went for the cheapest and turns out it look great and sounds badass, the IXIL exoval, especially with the "track" larger baffle, because no baffle is deafening !

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went for a Fuel slash cut exhaust in the end. €184 delivered. Seems like no exhaust is going to improve performance etc, so spend little, throw it in the bin if it's no good exercise.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would change out the muffler only if I get something out of it, more power or less weight or both.
Looks like there is little of either in this selection.
Stock muffler sounds great as it is IMHO

btw, none of these have heat shields.
My wife will not like that!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I am with Mastercore, if it doesn't bring a good return to the table, I will spend my money on what does. Noise for noise sake is obnoxious, but then this is not a "loud pipes saves lives" forum that advocates for form over function.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I like the sound of the Arrow and I liked the Remus slip on too. .....had a Two Brothers on my old bike and loved the sound of it .
I also had a Two Bros CF can on a '07 Honda ST1300, Akrapovic TI headers/CF can on my '04 Yamaha R1 and was also loving the sound of the Arrow with the CF can for the ATAS. But for such a low power bike I really don't think it's worth it as it sounds pretty good as-is.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Ive just ordered a new slip-on. as eBay have a 20% discount going here in the UK and that gave me a fairly significant saving on one of the exhausts I had shortlisted. The only reason Im changing can be best summed up by the photo below. different brand (yoshimura) but a similar result. And a photo of the actual exhaust Ive ordered lifted from google images. I'll update with a full photo once it arrives and is fitted, early next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Has anyone here tried this spark arrestor mod? Any drawbacks?

I can't post links yet so go to youtube and enter this in the search field for reference

p1JtUZCbu1E

At 2:49 he does a quick back-to-back sound comparison

·
Registered
244 Posts
I would change out the muffler only if I get something out of it, more power or less weight or both.
Looks like there is little of either in this selection.
Stock muffler sounds great as it is IMHO

btw, none of these have heat shields.
My wife will not like that!

Most of them are cooler than stock and thinner, that's why they don't have a heat shield. I had an Arrow on my 2017 and it wasn't a problem even with my passenger.

·
Registered
769 Posts
If I was only changing the end can, I’d go for the Wings exhaust as I loved the one fitted to my KTM.

I have the Arrow Ti full system on my AT and love it too as it still looks fantastic after 3+ years and having had the ECU flashed, so the bike is much more punchy than standard which is great.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Has anyone here tried this spark arrestor mod? Any drawbacks?

I can't post links yet so go to youtube and enter this in the search field for reference

p1JtUZCbu1E

At 2:49 he does a quick back-to-back sound comparison
I have, I bought 2 new oem ends and cut all the internals off then mixed and matched them to see how it ran and sounded. If you cut both it is louder but nowhere near as much as just removing one completely. With one cut no issue but the bike seemed to me to loose a bit of low end with both cut. I got it out of my system and will be going back to stock.

In is the link you posted he just removed them and that does increase the sound by quite a bit. I cut the internals off so I still had a pipe on the outside.
Take them out and try it it is easy to do.

·
Registered
75 Posts
... With one cut no issue but the bike seemed to me to loose a bit of low end with both cut....
This is great and thank you for sharing. I too was thinking of only cutting one when I read someone else got tired of both of them being removed. I can then re-weld with my Hobart if I get tired of it.

Now I need to plasti dip the can. I can't stand the chrome and would prefer just black or maybe white to match the OM white bars that are on the UPS truck.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts