Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Slip on exhausts choices

30K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  thegrahambo 
#1 ·
I just bought an AT in Southern California and I am looking to buy a slip on exhaust muffler to reduce weight, get a little more grunt, enhance the sound, and of course, look good. Is that too much to ask? There aren't a lot of choices from many of the four stroke manufactures. I am assuming this is in relation to the limited supply of the AT. What slip on exhaust have you selected and why?

#2 · (Edited)
There are a ton of choices out there for the AT. (here's a few - https://www.revzilla.com/parts/2017...&implicit_facets[]=226&implicit_facets[]=1889)

However, since you're in Kommiefornia, you have to be sure to legally cover your rear. If you ever intend on riding off-road here, do not get caught without a spark arrestor, ever. Some park rangers will just give you a ticket, others will attempt to impound your vehicle.

CVC 38366 said:
(a) Notwithstanding Section 4442 of the Public Resources Code, and except for vehicles with mufflers as provided in Article 2 (commencing with Section 27150) of Chapter 5 of Division 12, no person shall use, operate, or allow to be used or operated, any off-highway motor vehicle, as defined in Section 38006, on any forest-covered land, brush-covered land, or grass-covered land unless the vehicle is equipped with a spark arrester maintained in
effective working order.
(b) A spark arrester affixed to the exhaust system of a vehicle subject to this section shall not be placed or mounted in such a manner as to allow flames or heat from the exhaust system to ignite any flammable material.
(c) A spark arrester is a device constructed of nonflammable materials specifically for the purpose of removing and retaining carbon and other flammable particles over 0.0232 of an inch in size from the exhaust flow of an internal combustion engine or which is qualified and rated by the United States Forest Service.
(d) Subdivision (a) shall not be applicable to vehicles being operated off the highway in an organized racing or competitive event upon a closed course, which is conducted under the auspices of a recognized sanctioning body and by permit issued by the fire protection authority having jurisdiction.

You could also be subject to dBA restrictions...

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=26294

#3 ·
I got the remus okami titanium on mine. It is pretty good, not a lot louder than the stock one but it does have a supposedly removable baffle which I have not yet been able to work out how to remove. Sounds a whole lot meaner than the stock one though. I don't how rich you are but Zard make a great sounding can if you are prepared to fork out $800.

#22 ·
I got the remus okami titanium on mine. It is pretty good, not a lot louder than the stock one but it does have a supposedly removable baffle which I have not yet been able to work out how to remove. Sounds a whole lot meaner than the stock one though. I don't how rich you are but Zard make a great sounding can if you are prepared to fork out $800.

I’m pretty sure you posted the Zard full system. The slip on is more rectangular and in my opinion, nowhere near as sexy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Good point from Socaladam regarding "spark arrestor". Here in CO with all the off-road areas, it kinda the same in that you don't want to get caught. Didn't even know it was a thing till someone told me it was, technically. But by the same token there are so many places to ride you rarely ever see park rangers and if you do, its low on their list of concerns...

There are some good youtube videos that does a comparison. What I found amazing was the Akra was one of the most quiet and on sounded like a stock system. Based on the video and the sound clips, sound-wise the Remus and Arrow sounded best.

For me its the Yosh. I like the look and sound... I also had one on my Super Tenere and all I expected was a little weight saving and some nice sound. BUT once on, it actually smoothed out the motor. Much less "snatchy".

I'm not so sure though if I'm going an exhaust route though given I ride 50/50...

#6 ·
Thank you gentlemen for you information and input. I decided to go with the Remus Okami Slip-On in black stainless. It just looks so darn sexy! It should really pop against the black rims and rally red color scheme. see attached photo. I didn't like the cans that had a wrap around hangar like the Akro, as I think it detracts from the aesthetics. Some cans looked too long but the Remus looked just right. I personally don't think titanium is worth the price per weight savings. If I need to shave weight, I'll lose a few pounds! Not expecting any power gains, but it should give it a nice grunt. Cycle Gear is sending me one for $536.19 OTD.

Attachments

#8 ·
Hi mate, the remus exhaust sounds good with the baffle in but you should hear it with the baffle out. Just took mine out today and sweet Jesus if it were 1 or 2 db louder you would really have to wear ear plugs. Sounds so good when you jump on the gas hard! Might get you in a bit of strife with the law though were you are.

#7 ·
First had the Yoshimura RS4, but it was too load for me. I have now changed to the Akrapovic and I am very happy with it. :)

#9 ·
That's the can I will put on .Looks really neat ,sounds lovely and not a bad price . I'm going to the states next month and thought id get one then but now with the prices online plus shipping it is such a good price . I have just started to think about getting my bike right for me after doing 1000 klm. Ordered crash bars ,knobbies have been fitted .I was sceptical about buying the dct but I'm really getting to love the bike .cheers

#11 ·
From their chart it looks like you aren't saving much weight. I think that's because the stock unit just isn't that heavy. I had the entire exhaust off in one piece last weekend and I was surprised how light it was.

I can't see any reason to change the muffler on the AT other than sound. But I think I'd like that "approved" sound. Maybe the "Racing" one too, when I wasn't coming home late annoying the neighbors.

#16 ·
Just a quick follow up. I am 100% satisfied with my Remus Okami black stainless slip on. IMO it is the best looking exhaust for a rally red AT. It completely transforms the look of the rear section with a lighter, compact look. Installation was a snap and it dropped a several pounds from the stock, bulky unit. The exhaust comes with a baffle insert in place that can easily be removed by a single hex bolt at the tip. I took out the baffle insert so I could hear it unleashed. It was too loud for my taste and the tip didn't look as nice as it does with the baffle insert in. However, when the insert is in, it sounds almost exactly like the stock unit. The baffle is a solid tube with perforated holes on the end half(about 4 inches) with a pinched end. I played around with cutting just the pinched section and it sounded just a little better. I then cut all the perforated section off(about 4 inches) and it sounded just right. I read here that another rider did the same thing and was pleased with cutting the baffle at the end of the perforations like I did. I suppose you could cut more or all of it off and just have the small tip left to suit personal preference. I may also spray paint the tip flat black just to look totally bad to the bone!

#17 ·
Just a quick follow up on the baffle insert. Out of curiosity, I ended up cutting the remaining section of the baffle tube with just the tip remaining which leaves just a little constriction to the exhaust flow. Just the little kid in me being curious I guess! As I said, the can looks better with the tip in and surprisingly there is enough constriction to the remaining tip outlet to reduce the sound compared to the tip totally removed. The interesting thing is you can tweek the baffle length to suit your sound taste and while there may be a slight increase in power I would recommend, at a minimum, cutting off the pinched section at the end of the baffle. Apparently there is a non-US Forest approved spark arrestor available, as all parts are made in Austria, but I have not found it on their website. Will update when I get more info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.