Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2018 Africa twin AS had some coolant on my skid plate (probably the size of a quarter or two..and nothing on the engine case cover or rat hoses etc.. just on the skid plate) after an hour long interstate ride... Didn't think much of it. Just normal weeping? Bike temp gauge is still never jumping above three bars. Albeit, the fans will kick on occasionally at a light.

After a few months, I saw a video which prompted this post. Haven't noticed this at all since putting a number of hard miles on the bike. I just recently got the bike back from a dealer while having a recall done and I asked + paid for them to "look over" the bike and didn't mentioned anything about the coolant. The bike is at 7,000 on the clock and has not had the coolant changed. Any measures I should take here? It's really a fantastic bike to ride and I enjoy it a lot.. just cautious and always looking to learn more!

Many thanks,
Show less

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coolant Drip - Waterpump drain pipe ? Normal ?

Not a worry for such a small amount occasionally but worth keeping an eye on.

Coolant degrades over time just like oil and ph level changes so best to replace at the recommended service interval of 3 years and Honda HP Coolant, silicate free, takes just over two quarts total.
Thank you for the link to the other thread. No doubt I will be keeping an eye on it, I’ve thought about doing the service too. I’m going to check the levels amd see where we sit. Although it’ll notch out a riding day, changing the fluid doesn’t seem too bad… so I think.
Thanks again for the info!

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,256 Posts
If you haven’t had any more “puddles” I would chalk it up to the idiot at Honda topping off your fluids..
But as you said keep an eye on it. And check your hoses and connections. BTW when checking the clamps do not try to tighten them more, just grab the clamp with your fingers and try to move it. It’s a bad habit to get into; checking clamps by tightening down on them constantly. Over time You’ll over stress the clamps crush the hose and your clamps will eventually become loose, especially the standard band style hose clamp.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts