Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone found places to store small items yet? I'm thinking pair of thin overtrousers, a pack-small haversack, a sidestand load spreader, visor cleaning stuff, and a pair of rokstraps.
(I'm not into panniers and top box)
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
460 Posts
Er - nope! Seems true adventure means farkling and extra weight to carry anything.

I'm currently contemplating a pillion seat pack - Krieger or BMW (yes, BMW) at the moment as I can't stand rucksacks and, when not touring, don't fancy a top box and/or panniers.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'd think Honda (and BMW etc) would come up with a real neat small box (say 5 litres) that uses the locating points for the panniers on the left side of the bike. It would be relatively thiefproof, and mean you could still swing your leg over the seat, and allow the bike to be used for a quick trip to the shops.
Mike

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have both Krieger and Touratech pillion bags. The Touatech is bigger, but it's expandable and its def the way to go imo. Once the soft attachment is installed, the bag comes off very easily. Much quicker than the Krieger.
Plus it acts as a back rest if you load it up enough haha

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
You'd think Honda (and BMW etc) would come up with a real neat small box (say 5 litres) that uses the locating points for the panniers on the left side of the bike. It would be relatively thiefproof, and mean you could still swing your leg over the seat, and allow the bike to be used for a quick trip to the shops.
Mike
Cracking idea - we can but hope...

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have both Krieger and Touratech pillion bags. The Touatech is bigger, but it's expandable and its def the way to go imo. Once the soft attachment is installed, the bag comes off very easily. Much quicker than the Krieger.
Plus it acts as a back rest if you load it up enough haha
TT have managed to get something out then lol. Looks nice though - is it waterproof?

One of the appeals of both the BMW soft bag and the Kriega US 20/30 is that they can also go on the rack if you take a pillion - can the TT one do that?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah - but none of the softbags are lockable in either sense (to the bike or for the contents) so you can't really leave them on the bike while you go for a coffee etc.
Mike

·
Registered
159 Posts
TT have managed to get something out then lol. Looks nice though - is it waterproof?

One of the appeals of both the BMW soft bag and the Kriega US 20/30 is that they can also go on the rack if you take a pillion - can the TT one do that?
Ive had this bag for couple of years now, not had it in big rain for a long time. But when it did rain, it kept all my gear dry.

The TT uses a Velcro loop system to strap the under soft secure plate to the bike. I would imagine it'll straps onto anything with a flat surface. As long as there are loops for the straps to hold onto so it doesn't slide off.
I have the Kreiga 20, it's nice for a day trip with just limited amount of gear, but the TT is better for those over night trips IMO.
Plus, the Kreiga system is a bit fiddly, need to always knee the locking straps to the bike. Where as the TT Velcro soft plate can come off in a couple of minute basically.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I tried my Handle bar bag I had on my GS , Fits a treat pleased I didn't give it away now, ok, you won't get a lot in it, but its handy for visor cleaning stuff, phone , wallet etc

·
Registered
112 Posts
try this site

www.zenoverland.com

for tool tubes etc

fix to sub frame or to pannier rack

and try for a givi handle bar sponge holder on the givi site , its a brilliant little case that fixes to the bars , chuck the sponge , its great for money or toll tickets or keys

·
Registered
384 Posts
Mike
Thats a great idea think of having a tool tube that mounted to each side of the bike that used the Honda mounts that are already there and were lockable.
You can put a reasonable amount under both seats but no tubes or tyre irons and air pumps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats a great idea think of having a tool tube that mounted to each side of the bike that used the Honda mounts that are already there and were lockable.
You can put a reasonable amount under both seats but no tubes or tyre irons and air pumps.
Do they still fit if you have the seat in the lower position Skip.
I know a tube would be quite a good idea but I'm thinking more a sort of aluminium clarinet case. as long as it didn't stick out further than the width of the riders leg, it shouldn't affect the aerodynamics, and if a contents limit of say 2 or 3 kilos were made, then it wouldn't need any bottom edge support.
Mike

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think I read somewhere that the supplied tool kit will fit under the seat?

If so, maybe there's room for unlined waterproofs in the toolkit compartment?

Touratech do a sidestand expanded foot, as a simply bolt on.

As waterproof luggage goes, I have a lot of Kriega stuff and it's always remained rugged and 100% leak proof.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I'd like a small tail bag to strap onto the topbox plate for everyday use as I'd carry my squirty can of puncture sealant in it. Kappa do something interesting along with other brands, it's just getting the right size that counts.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've fitted my own tool kit under front seat and run tyre levers(3) through holes in plastic to under rear seat.
Spare tube and axle spanner in a 'fender' bag in pocket in rear of jacket.
Lockable small space using Honda pannier fittings is a brilliant idea, just need someone to make them now. ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts