Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m pretty sure my brain was on a vacation laying on a beach somewhere checking out the women, when I did what I did..
Cliff’s Notes:
18 ATAS oil change on stand.
Dry lube chain
Some idiot Put DCT in D
Result: :__: underscores of death in gear indicator.
Turn off bike
Turn on bike; stuck in 2nd gear
No problems, quick fix back to “N”
Bottom line; pretty new light that looks like a engine...
Ride - off. - ride - off. - ride
Pretty engine light goes away
Very happy ATAS rider
Thank you for reading my Cliff’s Notes on how stupidly can cause your check engine light to come on...

Kudos to Honda for a smarter ECU that eventually figured out that there is not any issues with my wheel sensor.
But this whole fiasco got me to get a adapter for my Autel (ordered and waiting for it to arrive).

So question for any one that has used a OBD scanner on a 18 ATAS or AT just how in depth can you go into the ECU?
I’m guessing I’ll find a fault code for the front wheel sensor that I’ll clear, but was just curious on how many points and sensor’s will show up..

·
Registered
726 Posts
2017 AT standard.
Wash bike on main stand.
Start bike. run up through gears on main stand.
lube chain in 1st gear at idle
park bike
Next ride fault light is on. Eventually goes away.
Repeat twice to confirm.
Buy Honda dongle - check fault codes - related to wheel sensor.
Clear codes
Next wash use air compressor to blow chain dry then Find broken brittle chain o-rings on ground
24,000km so replace chain and sprockets
:)

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2017 AT standard.
Wash bike on main stand.
Start bike. run up through gears on main stand.
lube chain in 1st gear at idle
park bike
Next ride fault light is on. Eventually goes away.
Repeat twice to confirm.
Buy Honda dongle - check fault codes - related to wheel sensor.
Clear codes
Next wash use air compressor to blow chain dry then Find broken brittle chain o-rings on ground
24,000km so replace chain and sprockets
:)
Yea the ECU shows fault cause it’s not getting any readings from the front wheel sensor, which SHOULD be turning if the back wheel is turning, it does allow for a set time for not reading any movements but that retime is VERY short ( even doing holeshots on dirt your front tire is moving). After that it just assumes that the sensor is faulty and your check engine light come on.. But to Honda’s credit and least it does go off eventually...

Reactions: DoubleThumper

·
Registered
577 Posts
2016 AT DCT.
Bike on center stand.
Start bike. Switch to D- rear starts spinning
lube chain in 1st gear, no throttle
brake rear; off stand and ride bike
No fault light is on. Everything is normal.

What's wrong with my bike? It has been like this since 0 miles.
I have 62k miles and have lubed my chain this way always.

·
Super Moderator
6,398 Posts
2016 AT DCT.
Bike on center stand.

Last week I happen to do the exact same procedure on a 2019 model with no side-effects or warning indicators.

Not advised due to moving chain/wheel, but paid close attention.

·
Registered
726 Posts
2016 AT DCT.
Bike on center stand.
No fault light is on. Everything is normal. ... .
Was at Modern Motorcycling last week talking chains and lube.
Proprietor said he hadn't seen a customer for months until he recently came into the shop missing 3 fingers and part of his hand.
Apparently he was using a rag to wipe down the chain after lubing it - with the engine running.
Gag.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Proprietor said he hadn't seen a customer for months until he recently came into the shop missing 3 fingers and part of his hand.
Apparently he was using a rag to wipe down the chain after lubing it - with the engine running.
Gag.
I'm a mechanical engineer. I could have invented an engine that recognizes finger in the chain scenario but didn't have the time.
So I clean my chain in 2 minutes and go ride some more :smile2:

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2016 AT DCT.
Bike on center stand.

Nothing! I’ve done it before too and had no issues, BUT this time I gave it a bit of gas, so it went into 2nd. Because the next day when I went to start it, when I turned the key on it was stuck in 2nd.
Yea, just at idle in 1st, it doesn’t seem to have any issues.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gag.
Darwinism at its finest..

·
Registered
577 Posts
Nothing! I’ve done it before too and had no issues, BUT this time I gave it a bit of gas, so it went into 2nd. Because the next day when I went to start it, when I turned the key on it was stuck in 2nd.
Yea, just at idle in 1st, it doesn’t seem to have any issues.
Definitely not normal DCT behavior if your observation is correct.
I have never read anyone report that the gear will shift up with the bike on centerstand.
The front wheel is not turning and the ECU will allow 1st gear clutch engagement but no changes in gearing.
Designed that way.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Definitely not normal DCT behavior if your observation is correct.
I have never read anyone report that the gear will shift up with the bike on centerstand.
The front wheel is not turning and the ECU will allow 1st gear clutch engagement but no changes in gearing.
Designed that way.
I did grab the bar to turn the wheel to the left, i guess I accidentally smacked the paddle, I Just noticed when I went to turn the key off that the gear indicator showed
_ _ . I did turn the wheel to the left, grabbing the left side of the handlebar with my right hand with bulky gloves (warming my hands) so I’m sure it must of been that, I just assumed it shifted because of the rpm’s. I’ve never actually tried to “run through“ the gears on the stand. Tho now I know, thanks. Bonehead me, unintentionally tying to run the gears...
The other day, I was reading on aftermarket can‘s and dyno’s and how DCT’s can’t be tested with out the front wheel spinning, I just thought that it messed with the shifting, I didn’t think that it wouldn’t even shift at all....

it’s always good to learn new things :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts